Hi,

My question is>

If i take a BB 8520 Unlocked with any companies simcard which is prepaid and not even offering Blackberry Internet Services NOR Blackberry Data Plan but Allows Me to Use GPRS Internet Connection from any cellphone AKA Normal Data Plan on prepaid ... So If I combinate these and a BES Hosting Plan together, than in theory I should be able to use all Blackberry Specific Apps * BBM, Browser, BB Email Client, IM, Etc. * all the BIS Specific Apps, without having to have contracted to a blackberry data plan , BIS or whatever from any of the cellular providers which offers Blackberry Plans and contracts??????

Thanks,

I need to see the solution clearly, I realy want to change to BB but I can not and Im not willing to pay for any cellular provider a huge amount of money and tie my hands with 2y contracts.... Unfortunatelly We in Spain doesnt have option for BB Prepaid like in Italy TIM, or in England Orange , or Mexico Telcel

Viktor
    06-28-10 07:33 AM
    Welcome to the forums Viktor.

You really should ask this in the general question forums, you'll get a lot more answers there since almost every 85xx user in here is either PAYG, BIS or Wi-Fi only.

I guess we only have a handfull of BES users, but over the General Discussion, you'll be served of loads.

Good luck and please post back! That's a very interesting topic you brought!
    06-28-10 08:58 AM
    If your company has BES, then that replaces BIS and BIS is not required. Your BB would work as well as any BIS BB along with getting corporate email and allowing direct interaction with MS Outlook at your office. I've never known a company that used a PayG service so that is a little odd in my opinion.
    06-28-10 09:32 PM
    If your company has BES, then that replaces BIS and BIS is not required. Your BB would work as well as any BIS BB along with getting corporate email and allowing direct interaction with MS Outlook at your office. I've never known a company that used a PayG service so that is a little odd in my opinion.
    Well Yes, its not about a company its about an individual who wants to use a blackberry with all its BES features * IM, Internet, Email, BBM, ets* with his PAYG number and cheap calling prices, still enjoying the freedom of PAYG, and doesnt want to make a contract, and or, doesnt want to use a carrier of BB Services, or his carrier the one which doesnt even offer BB Services.

But he doesnt mind to pay a monthly fee of BES Hosting to be able to keep the good things from BOTH WORDS aka PAYG Blackberry without a contract or data plan for a price of a BES HOSTING which obviously cheaper than Carriers DATA PLANS.

Viktor
    06-29-10 12:25 PM
    Wait.

You have access to carrier's BES but not BIS?

Or do you own a BlackBerry and your company has a BES solution and you want to bing it in? If this is the case, talk to the IT. They will surely be able to tell you if it is possible or not.
    06-29-10 12:36 PM
    Wait.

You have access to carrier's BES but not BIS?

Or do you own a BlackBerry and your company has a BES solution and you want to bing it in? If this is the case, talk to the IT. They will surely be able to tell you if it is possible or not.

Ok,

My carrier doesnt offer BB PLAN nor BB Services nor BIS

But offers GPRS or 3G normal data plan with any PAYG sims

And i was thinking about if i buy A BES hostng plan it makes me available to use BB Services from that mentioned configuration * BB Messenger, IM, Email, Etc *

????

Viktor
    06-29-10 01:44 PM
    Ok,

My carrier doesnt offer BB PLAN nor BB Services nor BIS

But offers GPRS or 3G normal data plan with any PAYG sims

And i was thinking about if i buy A BES hostng plan it makes me available to use BB Services from that mentioned configuration * BB Messenger, IM, Email, Etc *

????

Viktor
    How do you plan on getting a Hosted BES solution if your provider does not even support BIS? As I understand it, even on a Hosted Solution, you would still need the Carrier's network to connect you to the NOC.

kwkid, could you ask IT over where you work and get a pro's view on this?
    06-29-10 03:20 PM
    How do you plan on getting a Hosted BES solution if your provider does not even support BIS? As I understand it, even on a Hosted Solution, you would still need the Carrier's network to connect you to the NOC.

kwkid, could you ask IT over where you work and get a pro's view on this?
    i was thinking about connecting to Hosted BES Server through phone's GPRS capability aka as carrier network's solution to connect to BES

So my idea was

BB 8520

: Carrier's normal PAYG
    : GPRS Normal Data Plan

Hosted BES Server Service
    (as Gateway for BBM, IM,Email,Web)
    06-29-10 05:08 PM
    i was thinking about connecting to Hosted BES Server through phone's GPRS capability aka as carrier network's solution to connect to BES

So my idea was

BB 8520

: Carrier's normal PAYG
    : GPRS Normal Data Plan

Hosted BES Server Service
    (as Gateway for BBM, IM,Email,Web)
    No it doesn't work that way at all that I am aware of. The BES hosting is on top of the phone plan, not in place of. In my case, we pay the normal phone and data connection rates and then additionally the BES rate to allow syncing with work email, Outlook calendar, etc. This is beginning to sound like a case of someone wanting their cake and eating it too. It appears I totally misunderstood the OP's original question.
    06-29-10 10:24 PM
    My idea was coming from after reading KNIFEGUN's post , i quote here:::

"*BlackBerry devices sends data through a carrier provided data network that is typically GPRS or EDGE. RIM's infrastructure keeps track of the device's data network location through the device's PIN. The RIM infrastructure provides a gateway between the carrier data network and the BES. If the device tries to contact an internet end point, the call (i.e. HTTP) originating from the device travels through the data network, into the RIM infrastructure, out to the BES and then from the BES out to the end point. The BES acts as a proxy for the BlackBerry device. Data coming back from the network end point goes back to the BES. The BES forwards the data back to your device. From a J2ME standpoint, you write the code as if you were talking directly to the external web service.

When you install the BES, the BES registers with the RIM infrastructure. That is how the RIM infrastructure communicates with your BES. I believe the BES must maintain a persistent connection with the RIM infrastructure to get around any corporate firewall issues. The BES communicates with your corporate mail server. When a new message is received, the BES pulls the message from the mail server and sends it to the RIM infrastructure. The RIM infrastructure then locates your device via the PIN and forwards (pushes) the message to the device. ... ...."

This gave me the idea that as long as i have BES Server access ,where my device is setted up and registered, through normal GPRS data connection of my BB 8520, BES could make me available to use BB Messenger, IM, aka all the Bb specific features, PIN Msg...

And from this post my idea was using it with PAYG Sim and PAYG Carrier with just simple GPRS+BES without the need of BIS, BB Data Plan

Viktor
    06-30-10 06:44 AM
    It doesn't work quite like that. If your phone has no data plan active, BES will not give you internet access. The purpose of BES is too provide a link between your companies Exchange server to provide Outlook data and to monitor/enforce company restrictions to the Blackberry, so while it acts as a proxy in some rudimentary way, it does not replace the voice or data plan, it is in addition to that.
    06-30-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD