Last days, I am continuously reading/comparing phones as I want to buy a new one. It seems to me, that BB is something I am looking for, as it is more bussiness device as a toy. Here are some questions I didn't find the answer so far.

Is there a special software I need for Lotus Notes synchronization? **Calendar**, contacts ..

How is the sync with Lotus performed? Is a manual intervention required? I want this to be done automatically. E.g. I put my phone next to my bluetooth/wifi enabled laptop, BB Bold/8320 will recognize it and automatically synchrnoize ..

What about internet browsing? I have never used BB before, however, I touched iPhone already. From what I can see from Youtube, BB browsing is (or better seems to me) very poor. I mean, whole the page fits the screen and you scrool down the links. Page layout is disgusting. In iPhone, you see the web page exactly as you can see it on your laptop .. Am I missing something?

What are the main differences between 8320 and Bold? If I go to Blackberry.com and compare those 2 phones, there's not a big diff in functionality, so it seems to me, I am again missing something, as the price difference is obvious.

How about BB 8320 speed compared to Bold? Is there a significant difference? In general, speed is one of the reasons, I want to go for BB. E.g. iPhone seems to me very slow. Too much worthless animations .. Image ..

My last concern is GPS. I've read somewhere on internet, it takes ~1 minute to localize my position. I know 8320 doesn't have build-in GPS module. What is your experience? Is this feature useable?

My GSM company offers a BIS service with a data limit of **10MB**/month for ~10$/month. I already asked them what is this about ?? Does this mean, that I can see ~5 youtube videos + receive some emails with attachment and I go over this limit ??? Is this rate/price normal in other countries, or again my GSM provider is kiddin' me ?? If I go to internet with my phone, I will use most likelly GPRS/EDGE. Not 3G. I want to be able to receive my email whenever I am instantly (which means, I want to be online all the time everywhere I am), no internet browsing if really necessary. What amount of data can I expect to download a month?

Thx for all the answers in advance. I hope someone will find time to reply to all of this.

Juraj
    09-28-08 04:47 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

That is quite the list of questions.

I have no direct experience with many of them, but I can offer a few general thoughts.

Is there a special software I need for Lotus Notes synchronization? **Calendar**, contacts ..
    BlackBerry does support Lotus Notes, it is one of the corporate standards.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Compatibility with Domino 8.0.1

What about internet browsing? I have never used BB before, however, I touched iPhone already. From what I can see from Youtube, BB browsing is (or better seems to me) very poor. I mean, whole the page fits the screen and you scrool down the links. Page layout is disgusting. In iPhone, you see the web page exactly as you can see it on your laptop .. Am I missing something?
    Yes, you missed the Page View setting. That description applies to the more efficient, but ugly, Column View.

What are the main differences between 8320 and Bold? If I go to Blackberry.com and compare those 2 phones, there's not a big diff in functionality, so it seems to me, I am again missing something, as the price difference is obvious.
    Larger screen, twice the internal memory and twice the CPU speed. The rest is nearly identical.

How about BB 8320 speed compared to Bold? Is there a significant difference? In general, speed is one of the reasons, I want to go for BB. E.g. iPhone seems to me very slow. Too much worthless animations .. Image ..
    The 8320 and Bold will be nearly identical in non-3G performance. One of the key differences between BlackBerry and Apple products is data compression. BlackBerry does, Apple does not. The difference is most apparent in the amount of data used, not so much a speed difference.

My GSM company offers a BIS service with a data limit of **10MB**/month for ~10$/month. ...
    I would avoid that plan like the plague. My GSM carrier had a similar plan, going over the data bucket cost $10 Mb. That will result in most users restricting their use to emergency only.

Our American friends with unlimited data plans report typical useage of 100+ Mb.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-28-08 at 11:31 AM.
    09-28-08 11:02 AM
    First of all, thank you for your answers and time.

One of the main reasons I want to purchase BB is a Lotus Notes integration. Unfortunatelly, our company is not using BES. How is it then with Lotus Notes synchronization?

If I don't have BES (I will have BIS) installed, can I:

Receive push email from Domino?

Synchronize my agenda with Notes client?

Synchronize contacts with Notes client?

Thx a lot in advance. Questions above are for me basics. If I need BES for things above, then BB is not for me. I pray to God, it's not the case.

EDIT:
    If things above are possible, do I need a dedicated software for this? Any recommendations?

Juraj
    09-28-08 02:44 PM
    I still didn't find an answers related Lotus Notes integration. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

J.
    09-29-08 01:52 AM
    my bill comes at the end of the month with an average of 300+ mbs used, only 10 gasp. idk what i would do with that.
    09-29-08 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD