I've been looking into the battery life of the Bold and up until now I've put its lesser battery life (in comparison to the current Curve 83xx) down to bigger and better hardware.

That seems valid enough to me, also the 3G/2G handover has been known to drain the battery. Seeing as the 8900 will not have the 3G handover to contend with I was assuming the battery life would be phenomenally better, as this is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I was then told by a T-Mobile sales rep that it isn't necessarily the 3G/2G handover or the 3G module itself that sucks the battery, its more the high resolution screens that these new BlackBerrys have; 480 x 320 and 480 x 360. If this is the case then the 8900 may indeed suffer from similar battery life woes as the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 03:16 AM
    Battery life sucks on the 8900. Buy an extra battery and a charger I posted in the other battery thread. Easy.

09-17-09 03:43 AM
    To some extent the carrier rep is correct. Bigger screens with more dots do need more managing, CPU power, power, etc.

However do you honestly expect a rep to confirm that the network might actually be responsible for something as darsadly as running a phone battery flat. Those guys would not tell you the day of the week if they though they might be responsible.

Of course 3G (which the 8900 does not have) is a battery drainer just as having the phone in a poor signal area will do.

lazerus is right, the 8900 does not have great bettery life althogh mine has always been withe good. Buying a second batter and maybe a car charger is a good work around.

Battery saving tips:
    - use Standby mode
    - buy AutoStandby in the CrackBerry store for <$5. This is a major help.
    - use Auto On/Off at night
    - Make sure that the Backlight timeout is set to a fairly short time. Mine is 30 secs.
    - Auto dim the Backlight
    - Backlight brightness can also be reduced
    - Switch off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use. I do not find that this make a lot of difference.
    - use things like media (especially video) as little as possible. Yeah, that's why you bought the phone, right?
    09-17-09 04:15 AM
    Have you upgrade yet? my battery last longer than a day and i am a heavy user

09-17-09 04:29 AM
    yea standby mode helps big time
    09-17-09 05:59 AM
    You can also turn GPS locations services off when not using it...it saves a lil life
    09-17-09 06:49 AM
    Pete6 gave some very good tips... additionally I would add that you should keep an eye on what is running in the background... some 3rd party apps like Viigo, and some Twitter clients will run in the background... this can drain your battery.

If you hold down the Menu button for a couple seconds your app switcher will come up and you can scroll through your apps running in the background... Browser, Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, and Messenger are the only apps that should be running as part of the OS... any other apps running are not being closed properly.
    09-17-09 07:09 AM
    Battery life sucks on the 8900. Buy an extra battery and a charger I posted in the other battery thread. Easy.

That depends on usage. I get a pretty good battery life and I msg and what not through out the day. I have 3 batteries, but only use 1.
    09-17-09 07:19 AM
    My battery lasts until around 5pm every day. Not too many phone calls, but a lot of web browsing, twitter, fb, viigo, etc. I have improved my battery life by actually closing apps instead of just exiting them, as stated earlier

09-17-09 07:24 AM
    Pete6 gave some very good tips... additionally I would add that you should keep an eye on what is running in the background... some 3rd party apps like Viigo, and some Twitter clients will run in the background... this can drain your battery.

If you hold down the Menu button for a couple seconds your app switcher will come up and you can scroll through your apps running in the background... Browser, Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, and Messenger are the only apps that should be running as part of the OS... any other apps running are not being closed properly.
    Nice one. Yeah, I shoulda said that too. I have been away too long.
    09-17-09 07:46 AM
    Nice one. Yeah, I shoulda said that too. I have been away too long.
    LMAO!!! That's ok... we all cover for each other... sometimes I forget a few things here and there... usually the simplest thing like recommending a battery pull before trying anything else....
    09-17-09 07:51 AM
    I was able to increase my battery life by doing the following:

Turn screen brightness down to 10
    Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use
    Set the backlight to turn off after 1 minute
    Make sure apps are CLOSED after use

If I have a full charge in the morning, I will not have to charge my batter until the next day and that's with heavy SMS, BBM and internet browser use and 2 or 3 30-45 minute calls a day.
    09-17-09 08:22 AM
    IMO ... Twitter and FB do drain the battery quite a bit. I am a heavy user and just purchased two chargers.... one at home and one at work. Keep the charge full and it should limit your issues. you can also buy the extended battery for it.

I get a day max on most days of the week.....I could get 2 on the weekend, but I still charge it every night
    09-17-09 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD