I had our CEO come to me upset that his eight month old Blackberry 8900 Curve was not charging properly. As he was in a hurry, I pulled the fully charged battery out of my identical Curve and put it into his phone. After he had gone I tried charging the other one up. Left it plugged in for an hour and still dead. Thinking the battery was fried I went and bought a replacement. However, I could not believe that a battery would die so quickly so I kept it for future fault-finding. The CEO came back a week later he was complaining that the battery I had given him was also failing to charge.

I gave him the newly purchased one and took my original back. Two batteries failing raised a huge red flag so I took a very close look at both problematic batteries. Saw nothing wrong with the case or contacts save a partial fingerprint on the gold leads where he had handled it during one of his many battery pulls. I put the dead battery into my Curve again and in an hour it was fully charged! I used it for a week without incident.

Got called into the CEO's office some time later where he growls about his Curve not being able to charge again with the brand new battery. This time, I see on his desk a huge bottle of moisturizing hand lotion/creme. I remembered the fingerprint and my brain went *CLICK*

Went back to my desk and using a pencil eraser I lightly rubbed the gold battery contacts to remove any surface residue. Since then, every time I remove a battery I do the same thing. No issues since. The hand lotion (or hair gel, or moisturizer and whatever else he uses) covered the gold battery connectors and stopped it from charging.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers.
    06-08-10 01:17 PM
    nice detective work!
    how did you tell the CEO that it was his fault?
    06-08-10 03:04 PM
    You can't "tell" him anything. When things go right, the yelling just subsides for a while.
    06-09-10 01:48 PM
    Thanks for posting this, Shadragon! This info will certainly help others.
    06-10-10 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD