So I woke up this morning and my blackberry was shut off. Turns out it was a due to a dead battery.

Thing is I just got my phone 2 days ago. The first time I charged the battery was overnight (approx. 9 hours). I used it all day weds and it was fine. But before I went to bed yesterday I still had a good amount of battery left (I think only one bar was gone) and this morning it was completely dead.

Now I did have wifi on but that was also the case yesterday and the battery usage seemed fine.

Any suggestions why it would do this? Is it a faulty battery or phone? What are work arounds / test I can do to isolate this problem?
    Thanks
    08-06-09 01:30 PM
    I highly recommend that you charge the phone every night. See this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/th...ted-pc-287455/
    08-06-09 01:32 PM
    good question because i hear people always say how long their batteries last and mine only last a day. But im always texting and on the web constantly so every night i put my phone to charge. I dont know if this is normal or what.
    08-06-09 01:34 PM
    Just charge the phone every night. My battery last two days as well, I just plug it in when I am at work to keep it charged.
    08-06-09 01:36 PM
    Well the thing is when I went to sleep the battery was pretty much full and I dont know why all of a sudden it shut off. I dont believe that one night of sitting idle can drain the battery.
    08-06-09 01:40 PM
    So it doesnt last 2 days, ur plugging it in at work. No battery lasts two days not placed on a charger. Unless the person is not texting, on radio stations, and has zero apps.
    08-06-09 01:47 PM
    Well the thing is when I went to sleep the battery was pretty much full and I dont know why all of a sudden it shut off. I dont believe that one night of sitting idle can drain the battery.
    I am very sure your device was not just sitting idle as you are thinking. It is likely that a 3rd party app was left running in the background and you did not realize it.
    08-06-09 01:49 PM
    what Im saying is that it went from almost a full charge (only one block was missing) last night to dead this morning.

How can I drain the battery that fast in one night? Especially since it wasnt being used?

And how do I check if a 3rd party app is running?
    08-06-09 01:51 PM
    I wish my battery would last me 12 hours.
    08-06-09 01:51 PM
    I wish my battery would last me 12 hours.
    LOL!!! Poor Storm users!

what Im saying is that it went from almost a full charge (only one block was missing) last night to dead this morning.

How can I drain the battery that fast in one night? Especially since it wasnt being used?

Hold down the ALT key and then press the Escape/Back key (the one to your right of the trackball) to see a list of the currently running apps.
    08-06-09 01:57 PM

aristile is right there was probably an app running. If you want to see what apps/prgrams you have running press alt > menu keys and it will show what you have running. I believe at all times you should have the following 5 apps/prgrams running: browser, home screen, phone, bbm and messages. Anything else should be closed off when you're not using it.

Also I find that if I have my phone connetcted to wifi, my battery drains in just a few hours.
    08-06-09 02:00 PM
    Try pressing the alt+escape key. Doing so should bring up your list of apps that are currently running. There should only be 5 apps running. On my phone those are browser, messages, home screen, blackberry messenger and call log. Other apps that are running need to be revisited and CLOSED. Simply pressing the 'end' button does not close an app it only minimizes it. Too many apps running in the background is a battery killer. That's my $0.02
    08-06-09 02:29 PM
    I have also found that the battery meter is not that accurate. One "bar" missing could be anywhere between 60 and 95% full. But I agree that you probably had some stuff running in the background. What about WiFi and/or Bluetooth? Were those on?

I get a day of solid use from a battery. If I don't talk on the phone and only send some emails, I can stretch that to two days. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong at all.
    08-06-09 03:36 PM
    Did you put the phone in the provided pouch when you went to bed?
    08-06-09 03:38 PM
    On my 8900, if I press and hold the menu key for a couple of seconds, the list of running apps pops up. I've never used the Alt-Menu key to see it, basically because I'm lazy.
    08-06-09 03:43 PM
    I left mine on (in a pouch) overnight last night. About 12 messages came in (mostly junk) and mine was at 70% this morning. So you had something that was running and using a radio during the night. Usually it's an RSS feed. Googlemaps or something will do it bigtime. The battery life will get better after a few drains/charges.
    08-06-09 03:47 PM
    On my 8900, if I press and hold the menu key for a couple of seconds, the list of running apps pops up. I've never used the Alt-Menu key to see it, basically because I'm lazy.
    Yea, I hear ya, I use that too but not all OS versions have that feature. That's why I mentioned the "old school" (you're ma boy blue!) way of doing it.
    08-06-09 03:48 PM
    This is a new phone.... I remember the factory pouch out of the box was draining batteries?
    08-06-09 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD