Please forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered.

Is there a way to back up the themes that I have on my phone using DM? I think that I may have to replace my phone. However I do not want to have to re-download or lose my themes (some are no longer available). Is it possible to save to back them up and just restore if I have to get a new BB?

I have tried searching for this but all that I was able to find was "How to back up 3rd party applications" via DM. While reading that thread it said that it does not save Themes though. But then I came across another thread that said that you save themes in the same manner as you do 3rd party apps.

Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Any help would be appreciated!
    08-16-09 05:26 PM
    I just looked at my 3rd party backup files and it does not back up themes... however, you themes should be kept by DM... when I go into App Loader, even after upgrading my OS, it keeps a copy of my old themes on DM, even ones that I did not have on my device during an upgrade.
    08-16-09 05:33 PM
    Really? I checked my app loader & it only kept the (deleted) theme that I dl'd via DM. Any OTA themes that I dl'd are gone as soon as I delete them.
    08-16-09 05:35 PM
    A regular backup with DM will backup your themes. Since you are switching devices, however, I definitely recommend that you not only get a backup with DM but also backup your 3rd party applications using the process in the thread you already mentioned.
    08-16-09 05:38 PM
    Ok - thanks. I have already saved all my data via Device Switch on DM.

One more question I'd like answered please.

There were 2 threads one stating to select only 3rd party apps via Device Switch, use your regular backed up file and just add back the 3rd party apps.

The other stating to save everything via Device Switch and just use that file to restore your device.

Any recommendations on which method I should use?
    08-16-09 05:52 PM
    08-16-09 05:55 PM
    Great - I suspected as much seeing that it was such an extensive thread.

Thanks again for all of your help.

BTW - I made sure to search first as I didn't want to get in trouble by you !
    08-16-09 06:01 PM
    Great, thanks for doing that!

As you can see it helped everyone out. You learned something new and you were also able to provide an intelligent, well thought out question to a problem you were having. That, in turn, allowed us to provide you with the best possible help. You also got quick and accurate responses. Handshakes all around!
    08-16-09 06:04 PM
    Ok - Just want to report back. DM back up does not save themes .

I got a new 8900 today & when I restored my phone only the original themes were there.
    08-17-09 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD