I've been a crackberry owner for a good 5 months now, and one of the first issues I came across was losing my call logs and text messages due to low memory. I quickly bought a memory card, and figured that wouldn't come up again.

This weekend I find myself riding on a train for a total of 12 hours or so, so I waste much of my time surfing the net on my crackberry. Everything is going fine until I see that all my call logs and text messages have been erased.

I see that I am down to about 180k bytes free. I fing this very strange, so I pull the battery to perform a hard reset. Check the memory again and I now see about 3500k bytes free.

Do some apps have a tendency to leak memory? Should I be performing hard resets often to prevent this? Is 3500k bytes free too little? Is there a program that can give me a detailed look at application memory usage?

When I started doing all this heavy browsing, I turned on a lot of the options in the browser (javascript, stylesheets, etc.). Basically I noticed that the medianet browser had all those options turned on, so I did the same thing with the regular browser. Now that those options are turned on I'm very happy with the built in browser. I'm guessing there's a good chance that had something to do with this.

Any advice or help you can give is greatly appreciated. I have never been so happy with a phone purchase in my life, and I'm very glad I chose it over the iPhone (apple's got their platform locked down way too tight for my tastes)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 10:35 PM
    You need to perform the Crackberry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Adding a Media Card does not increase your device memory, which is what you're running out of. The MOP will help you fix your problem.

Yes, 3500k free is much too small. Any time your free memory is less than 12000k, you're at risk. If you're starting at 3500k, you're going to have problems. I'm surprised you didn't earlier.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-14-08 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added memory info
    09-14-08 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD