Didn't know if anyone had any thoughts.

I keep going back and forth whether or not to update the OS to an unofficial version on my 8320, but I keep wussing out because I don't want to blow my phone up or anything........
    10-14-08 04:03 PM
    Finaly did it myself today from the links here. Tmo 8320 BB. Went without one flaw. I was impressed. used the aus version of 4.5.0.81 with DM older version. 4.2 i think.
    Go ahead and do it.
    10-14-08 04:38 PM
    Does it matter which desktop manager version you use? I just upgraded to desktop mgr 4.5 yesterday......
    10-14-08 04:41 PM
    No, I use the the stock DM that came with the phone which was 4.2 or 4.3 and I updated the phone with that. I've been very happy with 4.5.0.55, barely any issues, and if there are issues its really minor. I don't even have to do battery pulls anymore unlike 4.2.2.180, piece of crap, every other day the phone would eat itself alive and then crash.
    10-14-08 04:54 PM
    Like you, I'd been very nervous to upgrade my T-MO Curve to a non-official OS especially with the absolute horror stories T-MO reps have told me every time I've broached the subject with them.

Still, I really wanted video recording, rich email, and the other little niceties that come with OS 4.5 and I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a non-official release of 4.5 last night.

The entire process took about 50 minutes and I was actually involved in maybe 15 of those. DM did everything by itself with not problems, glitches, or 'gotchas' at all.

All-in-all, I am very very pleased with my decision to upgrade.

Of course, I realize that, if I run into problems, I am on my own. T-MO will not support the non-official release of the OS. But, thankfully, there's always this community and most problems have been dealt with before.

There's usually nothing you can do with a software upgrade that can't be undone. Just be sure to BACK EVERYTHING UP before you do anything and take your time.

Good Luck,
    Anthony
    10-15-08 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD