Hi there,

I have a query that's been bugging me for for a while and I just wondered whether anyone would be able to help me with it. I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 on a data plan (with Orange UK) that gives me unlimited (well 500MB) of internet usage. Seeing as the 8520 doesn't have 3G I was wondering if there is ever actually any point to logging into a Wi-Fi zone as I get plenty of internet usage anyway. I've used my home broadband through it once and the speed of browsing didn't seem any different. Don't know whether I'm being extremely thick/naive here, can someone help me please would be much appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 02:58 PM
    Hi there,

I have a query that's been bugging me for for a while and I just wondered whether anyone would be able to help me with it. I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 on a data plan (with Orange UK) that gives me unlimited (well 500MB) of internet usage. Seeing as the 8520 doesn't have 3G I was wondering if there is ever actually any point to logging into a Wi-Fi zone as I get plenty of internet usage anyway. I've used my home broadband through it once and the speed of browsing didn't seem any different. Don't know whether I'm being extremely thick/naive here, can someone help me please would be much appreciated!

I rarely noticed any difference in speed either when i used my curve 8900 but if your internet allowance is enough for your usage then you may not need to turn wifi on at all.

A noticeable benfit of wifi on non 3g devices though is you can make voice calls and still be on the internet ie ur web browser,bbm,facebook etc still work when your on a voice call.

Again, if you would rather finish your phone conversation and get back to browsing, this benefit may not have any value to you.
    12-02-10 03:09 PM
    After the initial setup, there's not much effort or thought needed with it. It's sometimes faster and will ease the strain on the cellular grid. I have it set for places I spend a fair amount of time. It will connect when I'm there and it will regulate itself as to what apps use it or don't. If you stream Pandora or Slacker, it can be quite useful. With my current OS build, there seems to be very little battery drain from having Wifi or BT left on, so why not use it.

It's also extremely handy in areas of bad coverage. I can hardly get a signal at my brother's house but my BB hits his WIFI and I get my emails and web access and can get my VMails and SMS thru GVoice.
    12-02-10 03:19 PM
    Thanks for your reply guys, I can see how there might be the odd benefit from using Wi-Fi for example for browsing in an area of low coverage, however I think for me I will get on fine without it

12-02-10 04:21 PM
    I use wi-fi in my house all time cause of signal issues. But the connectivity is much better than ota. But as far as speed, I don't see a difference since the processor is limited.

12-02-10 08:30 PM
    well for me wi-fi is great!! i have a 5 gig cap with t-mobile us. i use it at home and let me tell you when i connect to wi-fi i zoom around like crazy. with out it my internet is so slow edge just doesnt cut it. for instance with a great 5 bar connection on edge im downloading at an average of 15 kbs..on wi-fi im downloading at an average of 180kbs peaking at times around 280kbs and does not go against data usage. I tether my device and i get the wi-fi from a neighbor for free how sweet it is. :0 ok so it gets better. i hop on pspdlcdotcom and download full length hi qaulity and hi-def mp-4 movies straight to my sd card from sendspace,hotfileand and mega upload some files 4-5 hundred mbs with opera mini 4.2..i downloaded a 1.8 gb file from gamespot with uc browser. the benifits of wi-fi are far to great to not utilize if you have an 8520..
    12-02-10 09:54 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys!!

12-03-10 04:21 PM
    Another good thing about using WiFi is that it doesn't count as data used sence your using your home ISP. 500mb is no where neer unlimited data so I would use it if you use data a lot (facebook, pandora, youtube) Speed isn't too much of an emprovement but it also helps if you have poor coverage at home.

12-05-10 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD