Weird problem here. I am allergic to the rubber on the trackball of my Curve. (It makes my skin crack and that really hurts.) Therefore I need to figure out how to use the trackball as little as possible. I do have the basic shortcuts list already. I know how to scroll up and down a whole screen at a time. Is there anyway to scroll up or down line by line? Or move the cursor along a line of text going right or left, in other words, around the screen space by space?

Gracias!
    09-30-08 01:33 PM
    Not trying to sound harsh or anything, but if you are allergic to the rubber on the trackball, maybe a curve or phone with the trackball isn't a good choice for you. Just my opinion. And to answer your question I don't think there is any other way to navigate, besides the trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 01:39 PM
    sorry to hear that--very weird allergy!
    as for the cracks - my mom's derm has her use super glue to help with the healing (keeps the skin together to make it heal)

and i apologize that i dont have a good answer for you!!
    09-30-08 01:42 PM
    sorry to hear that--very weird allergy!
    as for the cracks - my mom's derm has her use super glue to help with the healing (keeps the skin together to make it heal)
    Yes, I agree with that, as my Nail tech has suggested that to people for different reasons.

Also might I suggest, if you do decide to keep using your BB, possibly try using the eraser tip of a pencil to move the track ball? I know that won't always be convenient, but might work for you. Good luck, and hope your allergy gets better.
    09-30-08 01:47 PM
    get one of those little thumb rubbers
    09-30-08 01:52 PM
    I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying this but, sell the Curve and get something without an allergy-ridden trackball.
    09-30-08 01:55 PM
    Sounds like 'rubber' is the problem of the allergy.
    09-30-08 01:55 PM
    wonder if there are any other "rubber" allergies...

(oh...my bad dirty mind)
    09-30-08 02:03 PM
    Well once the cursor is on something you can hit the enter key instead of clicking the track ball, and in menus on the phone (anywhere on the phone, mostly not just the browser), you can hit the first letter of the word and it will go to it, like "c" for close or "r" for refresh. You can do it repeatedly until you find the option you want, then hit the "enter" key to choose it. if there are more than one words that start with the same letter. Just in case you didn't know. (I do that to save my track ball from getting as dirty in time.)

09-30-08 02:15 PM
    That just sounded soooo funny reading out loud. If rubber is the cause of the cracking, may not be the best advice. The eraser is the best bet. I would hate to be in your situation. Is the trackball actually rubber or hard plastic??? Maybe put a piece of tape or something like that over your thumb to prevent contact with the trackball. I would try everything possible before getting rid of my Curve, you may have to go back to the 7xxx series with the track wheel.
    09-30-08 02:19 PM
    As for a browser, with opera mini you can scroll using the 2,4,6,8 keys. You'd still have to move it a little to select a link or what not, but it may help a little with web browsing.(I think you can use the enter key the same way, but I don't remember right now.)

09-30-08 02:23 PM
    wonder if there are any other "rubber" allergies...

(oh...my bad dirty mind)
    LOL.....looking at your classy and fabulous signature. Too Funny
    09-30-08 02:27 PM
    You could always get one of those bandaids that are a circle, and put it on the tip of your thumb. Might work . Good luck.

09-30-08 02:27 PM
    If you are allergic to the material that the trackball is made of.. what about popping it out and coating it with a thin layer of clear nail polish or something? There's guides on the site that tell you how to remove it and put it back in correctly.
    09-30-08 02:32 PM
    LOL! I was going to say the same thing...
    09-30-08 02:34 PM
    LOL.....looking at your classy and fabulous signature. Too Funny
    oh yeah...kinda just blew my sig outta the water with that comment!!

If you are allergic to the material that the trackball is made of.. what about popping it out and coating it with a thin layer of clear nail polish or something? There's guides on the site that tell you how to remove it and put it back in correctly.
    this is a really good idea. definitely search for the guides and read over them carefully before you start. and i also suggest (from experience) laying on the floor and using a bright light. laying on the floor helps the best in case you drop one of those tiny parts!! let us know what you do!!
    09-30-08 02:46 PM
    Are you sure it is the track ball. Have you been tested for laytex allergies and plastic?
    All I know is if your allergic to the track ball other things in the enviorment should be a problem.
    My friend can't get an IV due to his allergies which is a major problem for him

Last edited by Raven71; 09-30-08 at 02:52 PM.
    09-30-08 02:48 PM
    I don't know about that one. I may be wrong, but it just seems like it would hinder the movement of the ball. I would try every other option before resorting to this one. Anyone know if this has been tried before?
    09-30-08 02:54 PM
    oh yeah...kinda just blew my sig outta the water with that comment!!
    LOL, all in good fun.....we all have our moments
    09-30-08 02:55 PM
    I don't know about that one. I may be wrong, but it just seems like it would hinder the movement of the ball. I would try every other option before resorting to this one. Anyone know if this has been tried before?
    That's why I said a very thin coat. Plus, make sure it is totally dry before you put it back, so you don't have any sticky residue. shouldn't be that big of a deal. You can also try it with an extra ball you can buy online.

Another option could be just to rub a sharpie all over it. I don't know if that would sufficiently cover it up though to prevent the allergy. Something else to think about anyway.
    09-30-08 03:01 PM
    id sell it, dont accomidate your phone, make it work for you...
    09-30-08 03:11 PM
    Weird problem here. I am allergic to the rubber on the trackball of my Curve. (It makes my skin crack and that really hurts.) Therefore I need to figure out how to use the trackball as little as possible. I do have the basic shortcuts list already. I know how to scroll up and down a whole screen at a time. Is there anyway to scroll up or down line by line? Or move the cursor along a line of text going right or left, in other words, around the screen space by space?
    Howdy Sfgirl,

As far as I know the trackball is a plastic bead. The rubber would be on the side rails of your curve, a rubberized coating over plastic. (8320 anyway)

You could use one of those Thumb covers bank tellers use, they come in latex, and non latex, for those that have problems with latex and rubber. You could also try not using the BB for awhile and then try it again wearing gloves, cotton, or non latex. You can get a box of cotton gloves at most camera stores that sell dark room supplies.

Use cotton gloves like this when I worked in a custom photo lab when handling film strips and 4x5 negatives, to keep finger prints and oil from my hands from getting on them.

Another option is to make a thumb/finger cover out of an old tee shirt for you thumb, or get one of those bottles of liquid skin (a type of skin shield when you can find a bandaid), to paint you thumb pad (fingerprint area), once it dries, you can use it for hours and even wash you hands. You might have to reapply it during the day if you use you Berry a lot. But it will help (that is if you can use it).

Another option, find a pair of dishwashing gloves with the cotton lining. Cut the fingers and thumbs off and put them on as needed, who knows you might start a fashion crazy. Just make sure that the gloves you pick out are not rubber or latex.

This latex/rubber allergy is a common one, and once it flares up, pretty much any exposure to thing you might normally not have a problem with will make you start cracking and itching, and it can be pretty brutal on some people to the point of the skin on their hands and fingers cracking and bleeding. I'm sure you already know to use a mild soap (baby wash works really well), and a good unscented moisturizing lotion for sensitive skin. Might even want to lotion up and wear cotton gloves at night (if you are able).

All of the above are things that different friends that are nurses and doctors do, for their latex allergies and having to wash their hands and wear gloves several times a day to help minimize their contact when latex products at work, when the non latex items can be used for whatever reasons.

And as others have stated, if nothing helps, it may be time to find a different type of phone/pda.

Hope you find an option that work for you.
    09-30-08 05:05 PM
    I was thinking about a spray lacquer, maybe something like hair spray to get a thinner and more even film. It needs to be a non-smooth finish so it will grip on the pickup rollers.

Maybe some of the third party replacement trackballs are made from a different compound.
    09-30-08 06:01 PM
    I was thinking about a spray lacquer, maybe something like hair spray to get a thinner and more even film. It needs to be a non-smooth finish so it will grip on the pickup rollers.

Maybe some of the third party replacement trackballs are made from a different compound.
    all the 3rd party vendors i've seen with trackballs sell them as OEM
    09-30-08 06:15 PM
    all the 3rd party vendors i've seen with trackballs sell them as OEM
    Likewise, I have only seen OEM trackballs as well...
    09-30-08 06:22 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD