The time has come - I need a smartphone. And it MUST be a Crackberry lol! I will be doing mainly texting and emailing, but look forward to browsing the web.

I am on Telus in Vancouver with a voiceplan, and and I am locked in for another 18 months. I was looking into switching to Rogers, mainly because of the newer Curve/Javelin 8900 which I think is the one I would get (largely based on Kevin's reviews), or the Bold. I think I prefer button keyboard as opposed to touch.

But (a) it would cost too much to switch right now and (b) because I am a longtime customer, Telus has offered me a great monthly rate for my voiceplan and unlimited email/web (a Rogers rep verified that the same plan with Rogers would be $20-30 more per month). Telus has also offered me $300 off on a new smartphone.

So assuming I stay with Telus, my options (after $300 off) seem to be:
    1) Curve 8330 for $250
    2) Storm for $300

Should I go with the older Curve with button keyboard (that Kevin says he would have a hard time going back to after using the 8900 and Bold), or should I go with the newer generation Storm with touchscreen keyboard?

I know a lot of this has to do with personal preferences, but any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Wayne
    02-04-09 05:25 PM
    For the texting and emailing part, Curve wins hands down. I have an 8310 (GSM Curve) and the keyboard ROCKS. Web browsing on the other hand, the Storm wins. So, since your main use is messaging, I would choose the Curve. That is my informal opinion.
    02-04-09 05:30 PM
    if you're a heavy emailer and texter and light on all of "media" stuff - I'd go w/ the Curve.

Just my opinion. I've had both devices and would take 1 curve over 15 Storms. However, if Bold is an option - I'd definitely go w/ that. I played w/ one the other day for over an hour - that was the most enjoyable hour of the past week.
    02-04-09 05:34 PM
    For the texting and emailing part, Curve wins hands down. I have an 8310 (GSM Curve) and the keyboard ROCKS. Web browsing on the other hand, the Storm wins. So, since your main use is messaging, I would choose the Curve. That is my informal opinion.
    Thanks. Would the 8330 Curve at least be adequate in the browsing department?
    02-04-09 05:38 PM
    if you're a heavy emailer and texter and light on all of "media" stuff - I'd go w/ the Curve.

Just my opinion. I've had both devices and would take 1 curve over 15 Storms. However, if Bold is an option - I'd definitely go w/ that. I played w/ one the other day for over an hour - that was the most enjoyable hour of the past week.
    Whoa - 15 to 1 lol! Thanks.

Sadly, the Bold is not an option at Telus. At this time, they seem to only have the Storm, 8330 Curve, 8830 (not too familiar with) and 8130 Pearl.

I guess another option I have would be to wait a year, and maybe Telus would have more options then. But I don't think I can wait that long!
    02-04-09 05:42 PM
    Whoa - 15 to 1 lol! Thanks.

Sadly, the Bold is not an option at Telus. At this time, they seem to only have the Storm, 8330 Curve, 8830 (not too familiar with) and 8130 Pearl.

I guess another option I have would be to wait a year, and maybe Telus would have more options then. But I don't think I can wait that long!
    Will they let you save the discount? You might try to pick up a used Curve, Pearl, or 8700, on the Marketplace here or on Ebay. And then in about 1 year hopefully Telus will have the Bold, or Pearl Flip.
    02-04-09 05:51 PM
    My new Curve is soooo cool! That bring screen on the Storm is all show, I barely use Media stuff, just hardcore texting.
    02-04-09 06:21 PM
    Thanks. Would the 8330 Curve at least be adequate in the browsing department?
    Adequate. Not exactly iPhone-esque but it's alright for everyday use (by that, I mean non-heavy use). So my answer is yes.
    02-04-09 06:24 PM
    Will they let you save the discount? You might try to pick up a used Curve, Pearl, or 8700, on the Marketplace here or on Ebay. And then in about 1 year hopefully Telus will have the Bold, or Pearl Flip.
    Awesome idea! I was going to have to sign another 3 year contract to get the $300 discount. But I just phoned Telus, and they said that I could find a Telus approved 8330 (based on serial#) on my own and use it, and just continue with my current contract (18 months) but still get the good monthly plan that they offered me. I will definitely pursue that further - thanks!

Btw, I was told that there most likely will be some "8900-based" phones coming out for Telus in a few months, so another option would be to wait a bit. Decisions decisions!!!
    02-04-09 06:32 PM
    Adequate. Not exactly iPhone-esque but it's alright for everyday use (by that, I mean non-heavy use). So my answer is yes.
    Cool, thanks!
    02-04-09 06:44 PM
    My new Curve is soooo cool! That bring screen on the Storm is all show, I barely use Media stuff, just hardcore texting.
    Thanks! Is your Curve of the 83xx variety?
    02-04-09 06:45 PM
    Wayne - you said you were unfamiliar w/ the 8830? That's an older model. very solid, but no camera. The pearl is nice. But, you mentioned that you text an email a lot. i never could used to the sure-type (it's NOT a full keyboard) so, you may wanna cross the Pearl off your shortlist. the browser capabilities of the 8330 are very adequate for me. I use the WAP forums a LOT and NEVER have problems.

I think you'd be VERY happy w/ a curve 8330. just my opinion.
    02-04-09 06:50 PM
    The CURVE!
    02-04-09 06:56 PM
    I'd probably go for the Curve for heavy texting. I have the Storm and previously had the 8800. It is a bit frustrating with the Storm, not reliable, but getting better. The touch screen is much more difficult than an actual keyboard, in my opinion. I am getting used to it. If it was really stable (OS) it would be helpful for texting.
    02-04-09 07:00 PM
    Cool, thanks!
    Anytime Glad I could be of assistance.
    02-04-09 07:05 PM
    I did an ebay search for you, the prices were a little higher than I thought, BUT not too bad...

telus curve, Cell Phones PDAs, Used items on eBay.com

Do NOT get one of the ones that says bad ESN!
    02-04-09 07:11 PM
    I'd go to the store and play with the storm a little, if you think you won't be able to deal with the keyboard, then go for the curve.

Personally, I choose the curve.
    02-04-09 07:15 PM
    Wayne - you said you were unfamiliar w/ the 8830? That's an older model. very solid, but no camera. The pearl is nice. But, you mentioned that you text an email a lot. i never could used to the sure-type (it's NOT a full keyboard) so, you may wanna cross the Pearl off your shortlist.
    Consider it crossed off!

the browser capabilities of the 8330 are very adequate for me. I use the WAP forums a LOT and NEVER have problems.

I think you'd be VERY happy w/ a curve 8330. just my opinion.
    It seems fairly unanimous - I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 8330! And pkcable's idea of finding a used 8330 to tide me over until Telus gets the 8900 is great as well.

Thanks Alex!
    02-04-09 07:25 PM
    I did an ebay search for you, the prices were a little higher than I thought, BUT not too bad...
    Do NOT get one of the ones that says bad ESN!
    Ok Rich, you're being WAY to helpful LOL! Thanks man! I had been thinking craigslist, because I could see it before purchasing. But that ebay list looks good - I think with a little luck, I should be able to snag one for less than $200. I just have to get over being leary of purchasing something used off of ebay.

Thanks!
    02-04-09 07:46 PM
    I'd probably go for the Curve for heavy texting. I have the Storm and previously had the 8800. It is a bit frustrating with the Storm, not reliable, but getting better. The touch screen is much more difficult than an actual keyboard, in my opinion. I am getting used to it. If it was really stable (OS) it would be helpful for texting.
    Although I haven't tried the Storm yet (which I am probably still going to try to do), I have a feeling that I would prefer a keyboard over the touch screen. Thanks a lot for your input Tina.
    02-04-09 07:50 PM
    Good choice! The 8330 is one of the best BB's.
    02-04-09 07:57 PM
    I actually own the Storm right now (i've had it for about a week) and while I enjoy a lot of things about this phone, there are a few things that I dont know if I can live with for a year or two.

Im thinking about taking it back (and regaining my upgrade availability) and purchasing a used Curve 8330 from ebay to hold me over until Verizon releases the Niagara. I guess I still have about 3 weeks to make a decision (allowed to use a phone with Verizon for 30 days with the choice of taking it back or not) so im prolly gonna swing by verizon tonight and see if the curve is something I can live with for a few months.

Does anyone know if the Verizon Curve's buttons light up in the dark or not??? I've seen videos of a curve with lit up buttons but it looks to be the Sprint one...
    02-06-09 01:38 PM
    I just asked my coworker who has a Curve to verify this. Yes they do. I know my 8700 worked that way, handy feature. Probably MOST keyboard blackberrys do it.
    02-06-09 02:01 PM
    Thanks man. I appreciate that. My only beef with the Curve has been that the buttons are so small, but after using the Storm (just coming from the Samsung i760 smartphone for a year) im definitely missing a hardware keyboard.

I also hate waiting on this phone. It sucks feeling like ur on the phones time, as opposed to the other way around. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE some things about the Storm, but can I be happy with it for a year or two??? Lets just say the initial high is starting to wear off REALLY quick!
    02-06-09 02:14 PM
    Thanks man. I appreciate that. My only beef with the Curve has been that the buttons are so small, but after using the Storm (just coming from the Samsung i760 smartphone for a year) im definitely missing a hardware keyboard.

I also hate waiting on this phone. It sucks feeling like ur on the phones time, as opposed to the other way around. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE some things about the Storm, but can I be happy with it for a year or two??? Lets just say the initial high is starting to wear off REALLY quick!
    Before you give up on the Storm try the latest leak .99, the software is MUCH faster and typing is easier and more accurate.
    02-06-09 03:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD