I went here after searching BlackBerry Messenger For Beginners | CrackBerry.com but still wasnt able to add someone.

I go there, click the menu button > add a contact > find the person in my contact list who has a blackberry > hit menu > send to messenger contacts

And then a screen pops up and says Select a Contact *Empty*

Can anyone help?
    06-23-08 11:07 AM
    First make sure that the contact you are trying to add has their PIN in your address book. Instead of clicking the menu button when you select your contact just push the trackball in this will select this contact and add them to your messenger and they just need to accept your invite. By chosing send to a messenger contact you are telling the device to send that persons contact info to a messenger contact rather than adding them to your contact list.
    06-23-08 11:23 AM
    First make sure that the contact you are trying to add has their PIN in your address book.
    +1. You must first enter their PIN in their Contact Info in Address Book. I tried adding friends (that had BB's) before I added the PIN in Address Book, and I had the same issue as you.

After adding their PINs, you should be able to add them on BB Messenger.
    06-23-08 11:30 AM
    I find that a little odd that you have to have their PIN in YOUR address before adding them .. why wouldn't it be automatic if you were to request them to be on your messenger list that it would do all of that for you?
    06-23-08 03:57 PM
    It's not gonna know who has a berry and who doesn't. The berry is a very smart device but it can't predict from a phone number if said person has a berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 04:01 PM
    * On the contact list main screen, press the menu key
    * Scroll down and select Add a Contact...
    * At the very top of the Select Address screen, scroll up to Use Once. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION. While Use Once is highlighted, press the menu button.
    * Scroll down to Request by PIN... and select.
    * Enter PIN
    * Select OK
    06-23-08 04:02 PM
    Yeah I understand now and thanks for the posts ... all good on this subject haha
    06-23-08 06:34 PM
    Actually, you don't need the PIN, you can send it to their e-mail address. However, make sure that e-mail address goes to their 'Berry.

It works kind of like the Facebook notifications, the recepient's 'Berry will translate the e-mail received as an invitation to add them to your BB Meseenger contact list.

Also remember that they may need to approve the request before you see them under contacts. They'll be in the Pending usergroup until then.

A friend of mine tried to add me but he sent the request to the wrong e-mail and it basically said to install BB Messenger.

Then I just asked him to use my BB e-mail and he did that way. He actually didn't know that you could use PINs to add friends to BB Messenger, he always used e-mail addresses.

Hope this adds onto the topic
    06-23-08 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD