$
    Is it just me or does anyone else find this button useless? I have never had the need to use it. I think the period would have been a better used button. Its not like every webpapge doesn't have one, Or every properly typed sentence.anybody else think so?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 06:55 PM
    No, that button is awesome. It even controls the toggle for your speakerphone. Just press the spacebar twice and you get a period.
    07-29-09 06:59 PM
    But I don't always need a . And a space.

07-29-09 07:00 PM
    Then just hit backspace after wards.
    07-29-09 07:01 PM
    As an Accountant I find that button massively useful for what
    should be obvious reasons and also for the reason stated by aristile
    07-29-09 07:05 PM
    Yeah, I'd like to see RIM switch the $ to something else. Either a period or a /

I wonder how many people use the $ key on a regular basis
    07-29-09 07:33 PM
    I use it everyday for work and I would be annoyed if I constantly had to go into symbols to get it.
    07-29-09 07:37 PM
    Maybe a better question would be what are the most commonly used symbols by the majority of berry users today. The most commonly used symbols should have dedicated buttons, next most common should be alt buttons and then everything else should fall under the symbol menu.

If RIM is doing their job, then they already know the answer to this. If they did switch it, the $ wouldnt have to be in the symbols menu, but it could be an alt key, just like on a regular computer keyboard
    07-29-09 07:51 PM
    Maybe a better question would be what are the most commonly used symbols by the majority of berry users today. The most commonly used symbols should have dedicated buttons, next most common should be alt buttons and then everything else should fall under the symbol menu.

If RIM is doing their job, then they already know the answer to this. If they did switch it, the $ wouldnt have to be in the symbols menu, but it could be an alt key, just like on a regular computer keyboard
    that is the point - RIM did their job and found that the $ symbol is used more than others. It was on the 8320, its on the tour, bold, onyx, 8520, etc. I have even found it back on the 8700s. I don't think it would keep showing up on every bb coming out of RIM's doors if there wasn't a need.
    07-29-09 08:05 PM
    Yea this button IMHO is pretty usefull. The double space for the period comes more natural than typing a period anyways.

07-29-09 08:16 PM
    I find this button very usefull.
    07-29-09 08:34 PM
    I just switched back to the 8830 from the Storm. Now when I type I am constantly hitting the $ key instead of the "m". Not a big deal but I'$ getting used to it....almost.
    07-29-09 08:55 PM
    I just switched back to the 8830 from the Storm. Now when I type I am constantly hitting the $ key instead of the "m". Not a big deal but I'$ getting used to it....almost.
    LOL ... nice one!!!
    07-29-09 08:58 PM
    wow i never realized there was such a button!
    07-29-09 10:05 PM
    I have it on my 8330 & its great. I used it eh maybe once a day. Sure I use the (.) more but almost always to end a sentence so I need to space that accompanies it. If not its easy to alt+m to get. If anything I would have liked to see the "&" be an alt character. I'm sure people use that more than an underscore lol.

07-29-09 10:12 PM
    I wish the & was on the main kb too and not on the symbol screen.

07-29-09 10:37 PM
    I use my $ thing all the time but I'm from uk so its the � symbol instead I would quite like the & on the alt keyboard and the double space is really usefull. I normally only use it at the end of txts I dunno y but it looks cool. what they could do is replace the 0 next to space with a dedicated & symbol or maybe ? Or !

07-30-09 08:57 AM
    I use my $ thing all the time but I'm from uk so its the � symbol instead I would quite like the & on the alt keyboard and the double space is really usefull. I normally only use it at the end of txts I dunno y but it looks cool. what they could do is replace the 0 next to space with a dedicated & symbol or maybe ? Or !

If they removed the 0...

terrible idea
    07-30-09 09:07 AM
    I use that key for the $ more than I'd ever have thought I would..

But I also use it a LOT for the speakerphone.
    07-30-09 09:23 AM
    Well I wasn't sayin to get rid of it. I was just sayin I've pressed the buttons on the querty quite a few thousand times and I've never needed the $ key

07-30-09 10:00 AM
    In my opinion, I agree completely with the OP. Many times I'm looking to triple period it up (...) and it's annoying to hit (alt+m, alt+m, alt+m). Without a doubt, the period is used a lot more than a $, so don't even say that the $ is used more. However, they have found a way to incorporate it nicely into the keyboard. In my opinion, I'd rather the ($) was a (.) instead, but it is what it is.
    07-30-09 10:53 AM
    I am new to the BB, but still love it just as it is. I would not change anything at this point.
    07-30-09 10:59 AM
    In my opinion, I agree completely with the OP. Many times I'm looking to triple period it up (...) and it's annoying to hit (alt+m, alt+m, alt+m). Without a doubt, the period is used a lot more than a $, so don't even say that the $ is used more. However, they have found a way to incorporate it nicely into the keyboard. In my opinion, I'd rather the ($) was a (.) instead, but it is what it is.
    Ok so here's my two cents on this topic. Do we all agree that BlackBerry's are business phones? I believe so. Do we all agree that all businesses are about the $? I believe so. Many people including myself use this key a lot. As for those people saying they dont like pressing the space button twice to insert a period because there's a space after, who cares, delete the space. I personally bever delete the space because I know the person reading my SMS, BBM, or Email doesn't even know it's there, but that's your call.

This part is to Fiddysheqel. If you like to use the ... a lot you can just hold the alt button and press the period three times. My suggestion would be this. BBerry creators aren't dumb. They have this amazing personal dictionary in your phone that let's you create your own "auto-correct" words. Just make your own word that is "auto-corrected" when you press the M button three times it turns into the "...". Ie, when you press M three times "mmm" the phone will "auto-correct" it and change it to the "..." If you do not know how to do this let me know and I will go into detail.

P.S. I just did it in my phone and under settings it's called "AutoText" and yes you willt need to accompany the "mmm" with a [space] after but that shouldn't be to hard for ya
    07-30-09 11:20 AM
    Have to agree Timm - AutoText is an awesome feature that I've customized in a big way! I have many shortcuts, for instance when I type a c, it changes to see.
    u = you
    b = be
    n = &
    mmm = ...
    r = are
    w = with
    y = why
    and my favorites:
    q = ? (%b?) to make it backup one space, putting the ? right after the last word...
    x = ! (%b!)
    m = , (%b,)
    These last three because I find it quicker to type one character + the space to type those punctuation marks, rather than hitting alt + V/B/N to get the ?/!/,
    Plus I have a ton of words related to my work/company for which I've added abbreviations, in order to type them quickly.

For fun one day, I got my hands on a friend's BB at work. I edited her autotext file so whenever she typed "I" it auto corrected to "I suck". She's very good-natured, and pretty sharp on the BB, so she was able to fix it quickly, after we had a good laugh.
    08-09-09 09:19 PM
    I use it all the time for my business

08-09-09 09:34 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD