Hi all - sucks that my #1 post is help concern but here it goes ....

I recently got my blackberry curve 8320 for tmobile and love it! I was so excited and wanted to get the most out of my new toy as possible. I purchased the the 8gb Micro SD for $75 placed it in my blackberry and it read 7.6gb ... lucky me huh?

when using roxio to get music/videos etc onto my blackberry it DOES NOT read the card ... so i read the forums for a day or two and found that 4.2 does not support 8gb only 4.3 does

i read that some people had luck using the Panasonic SD Memry card formatting program ... so i put it in my BB, hooked it up to the usb, and it read 7.6gb! i clicked quick format and format size adjustment off thinking this would work but it DID NOT. it formatted my card to a measly 3.6gb ... is there a way of REFORMATTING my card or did i just waste my $?
    02-12-08 05:06 PM
    i would try putting the card in your bb... then... do not open blackberrys DM and plug in your bb. when it asks if you want to use it as a mass media device use your trackball and click yes. go to "my computer" and look for ur bb's mass media card which usually is drive F but not always. Right click and go to format. that should format it back to the 7.6 gigs.... im thinking it will atleast.
    02-12-08 05:20 PM
    doesnt work, the reason i didnt format it like that earlier was bc it read 3.60 gb there. that is the reason i looked to do it on the panasonic program. the only place i saw it read 7.6 gb was in my BB - yet i could not add files to it.
    02-12-08 05:28 PM
    and you've tried reformatting it on ur bb? hmmm... maybe it says 3.6 because thats all the OS will allow until 4.5 comes out
    02-12-08 05:32 PM
    yeah i tried reformatting in all types of ways ... this is getting frustrating ... i dont think im going to get that space back.
    02-12-08 05:38 PM
    i bet you would if they would release the new OS.
    02-12-08 05:41 PM
    What is the max micro SD card size supported?
    02-12-08 08:41 PM
    i heard of 4gb.
    02-12-08 10:30 PM
    Girth, I know what your feeling and I haven't received my 8gb yet!!!

But I've been reading alot on this site and it appears there is a fella that got this going! Unfortunately he did not say what brand his memory card was but he formatted the memory stick as FAT32! Read below and check out the link there's a file to download!

User which posted: rick_martin
    Page: 2

Let me know if this works!
    02-12-08 10:39 PM
    I think 4gb is the max untill the new OS.
    02-12-08 11:17 PM
    I think 4gb is the max untill the new OS.
    By "OS" do you mean firmware? If so, what version? Just curious...
    02-12-08 11:27 PM
    yeah i thought so too....thats why its says its now 3.6g
    02-12-08 11:33 PM
    Windows can have some problems reading SDHC memory cards without them being inside a SDHC card reader. The SDHC card reader has a hardware controller that translates the proper size of the card to the Windows OS.

The Blackberry can recognize the size of the memory card and utilize it on the phone, but when you plug it into a PC, there is no translation sent to Windows and it only sees it as single layer, ~3.6 GB (4 GB unformatted), essentially. Unless you take the card out of the Blackberry and pop it in a SDHC card reader, then plug it into a USB port, then Windows will see the card as ~7.2 GB (8 GB unformatted).
    02-12-08 11:46 PM
    I saw your post... I had the same thing happen to me. if you go to

panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

and download the Panasonic SD Formatter Version 2.0 - this will reformat your card to the 7.6GB (unfortunately that is the total space due to 0.4GB used to format in the first place) And you will have to erase anything you have on the Card - so copy and save those files on your computer while you are doing this so that you can copy back after you are done reformatting.

In the options when reformatting using V2.0 - use FULL (ERASE ON) and Format Size Adjustment ON. This should reformat your card to the full 7.6 GB.

And like the last guy said --- your computer won't recognize the dual layer of the card when you just plug your phone into the computer... It will ask to format - and will format down to 3.6GB again if you just plug in thru USB to your phone...You have to take the card out of your phone and put it in the Micro Card Reader each time you want to update your card or transfer files to and from your computer... A minor hassle for double the space...
    02-13-08 01:19 AM
    Hey folks,

Just bought a Sandisk 8gb micro sd-hc card today (with USB adapter). Had same issue initially were the BB was only formating to 3.6gb.

Took the card out of the BB and put it in the USB adapter, stuck it PC. I was able to format it in the PC, transferred some music to it and put it back in the BB. Was able to play everything, and accessible through BB USB connection.

Hope this helps.
    07-09-08 01:17 PM
    i suggest letting the BB do the formatting. when i tried to force my cards full capacity, i kept corrupting the data. then i noticed this...

btw, i went to 4.5, and have NO problems with my mem card since...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...00%20156014191

Details

A microSD media card is a small, removable flash memory data storage device. When inserted into a BlackBerry smartphone, it can extend the memory available for storing media files such as videos, ring tones, pictures, or songs. The media card is sold separately from the BlackBerry smartphone.

The following table lists BlackBerry Device Software versions and the supported media card size.
    BlackBerry Device Software Media Card Size Limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB
    07-09-08 01:43 PM
    What is the max micro SD card size supported?
    Attention : Please use the Search Function!!

This has been covered 3 times today!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...?highlight=8gb

Max size depends on OS... not hardware at all. You can use any microSD, but your device may not be able to utilize all the space!! The largest microSD available is 8Gb... and that works!
    07-09-08 01:49 PM
    07-09-08 02:04 PM
    I experienced the same issue with my 8GB Sandisk card. I formatted the card in the blackberry which set it at 3.6GB then put the card back into PC to format (Only 3.6 GB will show), start the format then pull the card out of the USB port a little before it finishes the format. Then stick the card back into the PC and select format again. This time no size will show available and select FAT32 and format the disk. It will format to the Full 8GB with 7.59 usable with all of the Blackberry folders still installed. Load up your music and it is ready to go. Sounds like a sketchy method but it works.
    08-07-08 09:00 PM
    Blackberry OS 4.3 or higher is required to use all of an 8gb card. Anything lower than 4.3 will see a max of 4gb - possibly even less, depending on your exact OS.
    08-07-08 09:17 PM
    I also have an 8 gb card with my Verizon 8330 os 4.5.0.66 and it works fine in my BB and is recognized fine by windows while in the phone connected by usb. Never heard of Windows having problems reading sdhc before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 09:30 PM
    I also have an 8 gb card with my Verizon 8330 os 4.5.0.66 and it works fine in my BB and is recognized fine by windows while in the phone connected by usb. Never heard of Windows having problems reading sdhc before.

That's because you have 4.5 on your phone. Those of us who have 4.2 because our carrier will not update the software are getting screwed.
    09-24-08 12:16 PM
    I did not realize that when I posted , I thought that anybody that was still running 4.2 just hadn't taken the time to update to 4.3. Now I know better , sorry about the misunderstanding

09-24-08 12:29 PM
    Have a look at this post http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/

Your problem is etntirely OS related. In my post there is an updated table from the one above.

If your phone does not support 8Gb then the Format program will format the card to the max it is able. In your case, this was 4Gb. You got 3.6Gb which is correct.

When you upgrade your OS the one of the 4.5.0.xxx variants then you will be able to re-format the card to 8Gb.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-24-08 at 12:38 PM.
    09-24-08 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD