hey people, having a problem with the 8900 curve: it wont turn on the wi-fi and everytime i TRY to turn it on it freezes and reboots. im assuming this aint normal and its really tainting the whole experience since i only got it 3 days ago

can any one help?

(p.s. i phoned vodafone and im arranging an exchange, but i want to know about this problem...is it a known problem for blackberry?)
    08-30-09 08:46 AM
    Hey. I'm sorry to here your BB is acting up. I myself am a new BB user and just got the Curve 8900 about a week ago. I don't know if this is a common problem, but I can tell you that it is not supposed to act up that way. Mine works as expected. No rebooting or anything weird.
    08-30-09 09:22 AM
    That symptom has been reported when you attempt to connect to 802.11n Wifi.

BlackBerry is designed to use 802.11g, an earlier spec.

If you have access to the Wifi Router, change the defaut to 802.11g and it should work correctly.
    08-30-09 09:39 AM
    thing is i was just trying to turn it on, didnt even ask me anything...waited a while...froze...and turned off and then rebooted! i spoke to teh vodafone guys and they saw that thhis was not a knwon problem for the 8900, not sure wether to believe them or not. ALSO teh bluetooth doesnt work either, turns on and pairs with other devices but does not send/recieve.
    man im getting p[issed off with this, im still within the 7day complete return policy...thinking about it strongly. i want to like this device but its got so many faults!

:S
    08-30-09 11:21 AM
    damn, ur a lucku dude. i really wana like this device but its making it hard for me with all the faults u know? loll bluetooth dont work either
    08-30-09 11:23 AM
    I know the N Router problem was a Pre-4.5 OS problem but not after that at all I do not think it is an N router problem since the Curve 8900 is 4.6.1.

I myself use an N router on all my blackberries and all over 4.5 OS... No Problems...

You would think a company like RIM would intergrate the ability for N routers by now in their Blackberries.
    08-30-09 11:32 AM
    just got off the phone from vodafone, and the new blackberry is on the post: guna see if the new one has the same problems...dont knwo whether its life thats taught me never to look on teh brightside of life, but somehow i think it'll still have the same problem, ill keep u guys posted on whether this was a 'freak accident'' or a common issue for the 8900
    08-30-09 11:36 AM
    Likely just a bad unit. You'll read similar stories on here with 8900's resetting themselves when doing this or that. My first one would reset everytime I ran Tetherberry, then it stopped reading the media card. I called my carrier and they sent me a new one, it works great no issues. The thing with these forums ( and any other) you get everyones story about this not working, that unit crashing, but you don't get the thousands of people who have no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 12:21 PM
    I myself use an N router on all my blackberries and all over 4.5 OS... No Problems...
    Ditto, same here. I know that's redundant but "ditto" by itself gave me an error, too short of a message! lol
    08-30-09 12:36 PM
    hey people, having a problem with the 8900 curve: it wont turn on the wi-fi and everytime i TRY to turn it on it freezes and reboots. im assuming this aint normal and its really tainting the whole experience since i only got it 3 days ago

can any one help?

(p.s. i phoned vodafone and im arranging an exchange, but i want to know about this problem...is it a known problem for blackberry?)
    Seeing how it freezes/reboots, have you tried a battery pull?

When you say "it won't turn on the wifi". It did at least locate your wifi network?
    08-30-09 12:42 PM
    no it didnt. it just wont turn on! after pressing the scroll button to turn it on, it just waits a bit, then freezes then reboots and nothing has happened. whereas the bluetooth turns on and pairs with a device but does not transfer files. like someone said already i think its just THIS particular bad apple which ive happened to recieve coz this exact problem no other devices seem to ahve :S
    08-30-09 03:13 PM
    got the replaceent, wifi working fineeeee and everythign seems ok SO FAR, lollll. keep u posted if any problems
    09-02-09 08:28 AM
    Well, winterbullet, I'm glad that your replacement Curve 8900 solves all the previous problems you've had with your first one. I hope that you have better experience with it from now on.

As for me, I like it more and more as I figure out new things I can do with it everyday. Until now, I believed that the iPhone offered the most functionality from a mobile phone, but now I know better and think that the iPhone is just 'meh'. Sure it is more flashy and stylish, but the BBs let a person to work AND play.
    09-02-09 12:15 PM
    I actually had a Blackberry BOLD with the same problem. It was not a problem connecting to 802.11 N networks, it was a problem that whenever you woudl try to turn the WiFi on, it would reset the entire unit. Battery pulls and OS upgrades, didn't solve the problem, luckily the unit was still under warranty.
    09-02-09 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD