...any ne wimprovements? is this worth downloading? guess ill go ahead and run a backup right quick...lol
    you have a lot of reading to do =) your question is answered in this thread and this thread

Dont waste your time using the blackberry servers..

MEGAUPLOAD - Download OS .206 at HIGH Speed
    04-21-09 11:44 AM
    you have a lot of reading to do =) your question is answered in this thread and this thread

thanks alot for the info bro!!
    04-21-09 02:52 PM
    NEWBIE HELP**
    I have downloaded files, but when I run Desktop manager it doesnt automatically load for new OS...what Am I doing wrong?
    04-21-09 08:33 PM
    are you reading any of the previous posts??

Your solutions are posted already

1. disconnected from the web.
    2. delete vendor.xml
    3. use DM or Loader.exe to install the OS

=/
    04-21-09 08:36 PM
    I went to the link provided but cannot find this particular OS upgrade on there? Can anyone assist me on that? Thanks
    04-22-09 11:32 AM

Here is a mega-upload file...
    04-22-09 11:58 AM
    thanks ! great software
    04-22-09 04:08 PM
    Just installed the new OS and it seems great so far ! Rendering in the browser is quicker and rendering for google maps is much quicker ! Will see how the baterry is over the next few days !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 06:01 PM
    I'm a total noob so be gentle. I just read all 31 pages and other threads too, this is what I did.

Downloaded DM 4.6 w/out media manager, installed, and backed up my 8900.
    Downloaded the OS that this thread is about and installed it to my PC.
    Downloaded Crackmem. I clicked wipe and then typed BrickMyPhone. It then brought me to the USB connection page. I clicked next and it said

"The blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. contact your wireless service provider or system admin."

I then tried searching and searching online to no avail or help. I clicked cancel and then out of frustration decided to just install the new OS anyways. I deleted vendor.xml and ran app loaded that was housed in the same folder.

I got the complete prompt and everything seemed to load fine and my phone says 4.6.1.206 in "about". Why did I get that error and why wouldn't Crackmem wipe the device?

Thanks
    Last edited by DKAudio; 04-22-09 at 10:02 PM.
    04-22-09 09:53 PM
    I think it did wipe your device. It just didnt install the OS. Sometimes DM doesnt recognize new OS's that are installed and that's where Loader.exe comes in handy. If you typed in BrickMyPhone, then Im assuming it was bricked..

While running CrackMem, You're suppose to have DM running in the background so it maintains connection with your phone. When you exit crackmem, DM should still be running and connected to your phone. From that point on you can install the OS via DM or from Loader.exe.
    04-22-09 10:07 PM
    Okay so I just read all 32 pages and had to log back in to make this post: I'm still not convinced.

I just got my 8900 today and if it would be a month later I would more than likely have already upgraded but having not even made a real phone call on it yet, I'm a bit hesitant (Need time to get to know the phone for himself before changing him, ya know).

However, the quicker GPS sounds good as I noticed it is slow. The louder rings sounds good as well as I've been with the phone long enough to know he isn't too loud, does this boost in loudness apply to media playback as well(?). As for the other things I'm reading conflicting results (internet speeds, battery, etc.) but am certain it's an improvement over my .114.

So now my questions are:

1) Yes, I've read the phone is backed up but just to clarify: So using DM disconnected from the net to upgrade it will automatically back-up my phone/OS/Apps so in the event of a failure or just dissatisfaction I can go back to my original OS and all things intact? Considering this is the case, where exactly is my original phone/os saved on the computer so I can be sure it's there.

2) Are there any improvements with streaming media? When streaming video from, not youtube but another tube, it works with the stock browser but never seems to get pass buffering, any improvement with not just .206 but .199 (As currently I feel more comfortable upgrading to .199).

Additionally, my biggest issue right now is being unable to stream videos from Orb. The stream begins but then the picture goes out and I either "go back" or, more often than not, the phone just entirely restarts. Will an upgrade fix this issue as this is really my main concern at the moment, the slow GPS and poor battery life I can manage for a month before ready to make the upgrade.

3) I'm reading conflicting results regarding themes, settings and apps... When upgrading am I going to have to reinstall apps, redo theme/settings and/or any other surprises? I don't mind resetting my font or having to re log into apps but anything more than that I'd rather wait a few weeks.

4) Which is more stable in regards to the results of users: 199 or 206? From what I've been reading 199 sounds less issue oriented while 206 offers minor improvements. Should I just upgrade to 199 is there a thread or site with all the OS offered? By the way, why aren't any of these upgrades released officially for N American users? Not a big deal but curious as to why we're being gimped, or is it only T-Mobile users.

Really right now I'm content with the phone as I just got him, after a few weeks once I get to know him better I'll be more ready to upgrade, though I am now considering the streaming video issue, so any info on the above will be much appreciated especially in the coming days when I'm ready to improve his already noticable sluggish gps, etc.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kkthxby3; 04-23-09 at 02:45 AM.
    04-23-09 02:39 AM
    I think it did wipe your device. It just didnt install the OS. Sometimes DM doesnt recognize new OS's that are installed and that's where Loader.exe comes in handy. If you typed in BrickMyPhone, then Im assuming it was bricked..

While running CrackMem, You're suppose to have DM running in the background so it maintains connection with your phone. When you exit crackmem, DM should still be running and connected to your phone. From that point on you can install the OS via DM or from Loader.exe.
    Oh, I didn't have DM running at the same time, maybe that was the problem? I don't think it was wiped because I let my phone re-boot (before loading the new OS) and it still had all the menus and everything. So far everything seems to be working with .206 I do not notice much difference from .114 that came with my 8900 but I am a BB newb and have only had it for a day and a half so I don't know much of the features yet.

Thanks
    04-23-09 08:09 AM
    can anyone state what the overall incall volume is like in, .168 it seem considerably low even when adjusted to 100%. can sum1 tell me if the incall volume have been fixed in this new .206 version?

Thankx in advance...
    04-23-09 08:15 AM
    I had the new 5.0 OS on my BB, but I wanted to go back to 4.6.

I used JL Commander to wipe, but it still boots with the progress bar and gets to "Reload Software 507" and just sits.

Please, how can I get the newest 4.6 build on here? I can't seem to get it to go.

Yes, I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything helpful. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
    04-23-09 08:21 AM

I used JL Commander to wipe, but it still boots with the progress bar and gets to "Reload Software 507" and just sits.

Please, how can I get the newest 4.6 build on here? I can't seem to get it to go.

Yes, I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything helpful. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Did you uninstall 5.0 from your PC?
    04-23-09 10:02 AM

You have successfully wiped the filesystem on your device so there is nothing except the bootloader on there now, there is no OS installed - now you need to reinstall the OS you want...

You need to uninstall the device software version 5.0 from your PC. Then install the 4.6.1.206 on your PC. Then navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\ and delete the vendor.xml file. Then run the apploader executable and it will install the 4.6.1.206 software on your blackberry. Once done, and your blackberry is back up, its good to do a battery pull.
    04-23-09 10:17 AM
    Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I followed the directions I believe correctly to download this OS..
    1) I downloaded the OS 4.1.206 to my PC
    2) Went to My Computer,Common Files and deleted the vendor xml file.
    3) Hooked up my BB 8900 to the PC which prompted my DM
    4) Went to the application loader and there was the v4.1.206 for selection
    5) Checked that OS version to be updated to my BB, I am currently running OS v4.1.133,by the way.

This is the problem, my DM tells me that no software update is required for my device. So I still have the OS v4.1.133 in my BB? Why is that and what have I missed? The new version is in my DM to load but it will not allow me to load it?

If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it! I want to be up to speed with this! Thanks
    04-23-09 11:08 AM
    Is the same folder as vendor.xml there is a file called Loader.exe. Use that program to install the OS.

or you can disable you internet when using DM, but I prefer Loader.exe - it works every time
    04-23-09 11:13 AM
    Dannieloco, in my Apploader file, I cannot find that loader.exe, I have other loader files but the ones I have are loader.dll files, how can I find that loader.exe or did it just not load in this particular file? Thanks for trying to help me out, just really want this OS version, and learning at the same time!!
    04-23-09 11:25 AM
    hmm..

thats odd. The Loader.exe should be inside the same folder as vendor.xml.

It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

if it's not in there try re-installing the OS to your pc to start over.

Here is the untouched, unaltered OS version 4.6.1.206 for those who prefer downloading from the fasssst servers on MegaUpload.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Enjoy!
    04-23-09 11:30 AM
    I will try and reload the OS software that I got with this BB...but yes I did check the Apploader file and the Loader.exe is not located in there. Lets see if what you suggested works. I will post you again I am sure,lol if this does or does not work. Thanks again for you help!!
    04-23-09 11:48 AM
    I couldn`t take how slow the .206 was compared to the 5.0.0.90 (alpha? :P). Went straight back up...
    04-23-09 12:13 PM
    whoa, you are one daring person! .174 is faster than .199 and .206. = not as daring as 5.0. =)
    04-23-09 12:15 PM
    Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I followed the directions I believe correctly to download this OS..
    1) I downloaded the OS 4.1.206 to my PC
    2) Went to My Computer,Common Files and deleted the vendor xml file.
    3) Hooked up my BB 8900 to the PC which prompted my DM
    4) Went to the application loader and there was the v4.1.206 for selection
    5) Checked that OS version to be updated to my BB, I am currently running OS v4.1.133,by the way.

This is the problem, my DM tells me that no software update is required for my device. So I still have the OS v4.1.133 in my BB? Why is that and what have I missed? The new version is in my DM to load but it will not allow me to load it?

If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it! I want to be up to speed with this! Thanks

use crackmem to remove the vendor file, deleting manually wasnt working fro me either but when i used crackmem to remove, it worked perfectly
    04-23-09 02:13 PM
    I've also noticed .206 being a little sluggish at times... makes me think about trying .174 out..
    04-23-09 05:10 PM
687 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD