I've been trying to figure this out. I'm contemplating getting a new BB but I'm not sure here. Obviously you have both the 8520 and the Driftwood coming out but I'm thinking maybe I should go with the 8900. I'm not due for an upgrade (not a complete one any way) so I'd be paying almost full price. I'm going on the assumption that the Driftwood will be a bit on the pricey side. I'm not sure where the 8520 will come in price wise but I suspect thatm ay even be a step back from my current 8220 (I think the screen on the 8520 is not as good as the Flip). Bottom line is I think the 8900 is the best alternative if i can't pony up the $$ for the Driftwood.
    07-29-09 11:41 AM
    The Driftwood is still an unknown at this time... but seeing the early pictures of the Onyx is a good sign... I think most people here like their 8900... it's a very solid device, packed into a nice little package.... but you can always wait and see what's next.
    07-29-09 12:19 PM
    You might as well wait. There's nothing worse than buying something now and then immediately regretting it once something new comes out...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 12:27 PM
    Yea i say compare both phones at the store or fro someone before you cough up the dough
    08-03-09 07:02 AM
    I say get that 8900 now, you wont regret it, trust me
    08-03-09 10:45 AM
    I say get that 8900 now, you wont regret it, trust me
    exactly what he said you wont regret it... no one ever does lol
    08-03-09 11:03 AM
    When you say "or New Kids on the Block" do you mean the cruise?

The 8900 will be around for a while or if not that one specifically some form of awesome BB product.

The cruise is a one-shot deal. Who knows if they'll do one again? This is their second, but who's to say there will be a third?

NKOTB > new 8900. Just my 2 cents, but you're the only one that can make the right decision for YOU.

Either way, have fun!
    08-03-09 11:50 AM
    Don't even consider the 8520. It's a step down from your current Pearl Flip. I would wait for the Driftwood. 3G gives you way better call quality, faster data and simultaneous voice and data. Simultaneous voice and data is useful, an example is looking up directions for someone in Google Maps while giving them the directions in Google Maps or giving someone the phone number of a pizza place that you looked up in Google Maps while in a call with that person. The 8900 is a good device, but the lack of 3G is a crime. UMA helps with the lack of 3G but you have to be in Wi-Fi most of the time to take advantage of UMA. And normally I have my laptop when I'm in Wi-Fi.
    08-03-09 01:06 PM
    You might as well wait. There's nothing worse than buying something now and then immediately regretting it once something new comes out...

Yea, but there is always something better in the works.

If he waits for the driftwood/onyx, then there will be new rumors about a new phone that will be coming out then we will have to tell him to wait for that one, and so on....

Get the 8900, you won't regret it.
    08-03-09 01:47 PM
    Yea, but there is always something better in the works.

If he waits for the driftwood/onyx, then there will be new rumors about a new phone that will be coming out then we will have to tell him to wait for that one, and so on....

Get the 8900, you won't regret it.
    Yes, I do know about that if you wait for the next big thing, you will never have a device. But the Driftwood will be a big improvement over the 8900 with 3G.
    08-03-09 04:26 PM
    It's gonna be the better part of a year b4 we see the Driftwood. 3G is overrated IMO. Sure, you can get data and voice, but really, who can't live wo that? The dl speed is excellent on the 8900 and wifi makes it all good.
    08-03-09 04:43 PM
    I swear when I read this title I thought there would be a question "Should I
    spend my money on the 8900 or tickets to go see New Kids on The Block?"
    08-03-09 04:44 PM
    Forever, I thought the same exact thing! Hahah

08-03-09 05:44 PM
    It's gonna be the better part of a year b4 we see the Driftwood. 3G is overrated IMO. Sure, you can get data and voice, but really, who can't live wo that? The dl speed is excellent on the 8900 and wifi makes it all good.
    Except you have to be in a Wi-Fi zone to take advantage of that. When I'm in Wi-Fi I have my laptop 90% of the time. 3G is everywhere at the places I normally travel to. Trying to find Wi-Fi with the 8900's weak Wi-Fi sucks and it's normally protected Wi-Fi. You're overstating the impact of Wi-Fi. 150 kbps compared to ~1-2 mbps is a huge difference. It's really a difference when you're tethering. Also, with 3G you get better voice quality. The Driftwood will only be out in 3-4 months max and the OP should be fine using the Pearl Flip for 3 more months.
    08-03-09 06:26 PM
    Except you have to be in a Wi-Fi zone to take advantage of that. When I'm in Wi-Fi I have my laptop 90% of the time. 3G is everywhere at the places I normally travel to. Trying to find Wi-Fi with the 8900's weak Wi-Fi sucks and it's normally protected Wi-Fi. You're overstating the impact of Wi-Fi. 150 kbps compared to ~1-2 mbps is a huge difference. It's really a difference when you're tethering. Also, with 3G you get better voice quality. The Driftwood will only be out in 3-4 months max and the OP should be fine using the Pearl Flip for 3 more months.
    You said the keyword here that makes the most difference between the Enhanced EDGE on the 8900 and 3G - tethering. Tethering to your laptop/computer is when you notice the benefits of the 3G speed difference. On the phone itself the difference is not as noticeable because the combination of the phone's hardware and the browser rendering adversely effects the speed difference between the two technologies and they, in turn, become very comparable. Also, most people do not have a need to do voice and data simultaneously so that feature is not as important as you would think. To those that do need simultaneous voice and data, however, that feature is invaluable.
    08-03-09 06:37 PM
    Someone needs to make a YouTube video with the new phone models all dancing to that song! I'm talking to you Cilantro!! HAHA
    08-03-09 06:38 PM
    You said the keyword here that makes the most difference between the Enhanced EDGE on the 8900 and 3G - tethering. Tethering to your laptop/computer is when you notice the benefits of the 3G speed difference. On the phone itself the difference is not as noticeable because the combination of the phone's hardware and the browser rendering adversely effects the speed difference between the two technologies and they, in turn, become very comparable. Also, most people do not have a need to do voice and data simultaneously so that feature is not as important as you would think. To those that do need simultaneous voice and data, however, that feature is invaluable.
    Yeah, simultaneous voice and data isn't that important to most people but I'm one of the users that does need it. Having to hang up on someone to get them directions or having to reconnect after a call while tethering sucks with my 8900. But better call quality is something that everybody benefits from.
    08-03-09 06:49 PM
    Better call quality is always useful but its not like the call quality on the 8900 is bad by any means. I don't have any issues with the call quality on my device and I'm sure most people would say the same thing. Also, with UMA, you can still get the better sound quality on the 8900 as long as are connected to the WiFi connection.
    08-03-09 06:59 PM
    8220 is a great device let's start there. You working with a pretty solid blackberry minus a full keyboard which obviously isn't that important to you or you wouldn't have bought a pearl. Now, with the 8520, you have the fact that this phone is a low end blackberry model up against you. What you have with the Gemini is basically a full sized blackberry pearl (IMO). With the 8900, you have a bit of an upgrade as far as quality of the device goes it's a really nice phone I mean I personally have one. It does run on the Edge network and has Wifi. Now with the Driftwood (which I heard isn't suppose to be released til January 2010) we are talking about a device that I assume will be a higher end device much like the Bold. That means it's going to be expensive. Also, it will have 3G which will be nice but won't matter if you aren't in a Tmobile 3G area like myself. I personally don't miss the 3G aspect with my 8900. I use to have ATT and it was nice having 3G on my device but frankly Edge works great for me, and wifi helps me with the internet speed along with UMA. Now what will suck is the fact that you will be getting a device when a known device is on the immediate horizon. So you might just want to wait and compare later! Unless you are just too anxious!
    08-03-09 07:01 PM
    Better call quality is always useful but its not like the call quality on the 8900 is bad by any means. I don't have any issues with the call quality on my device and I'm sure most people would say the same thing. Also, with UMA, you can still get the better sound quality on the 8900 as long as are connected to the WiFi connection.
    I must be the only person here who wants 3G. But I also seem to be the only person that knows how much tethering sucks over EDGE compared to 3G and I'm the only person who tethers who has an 8900. Oh well.
    08-04-09 12:29 AM
    I must be the only person here who wants 3G. But I also seem to be the only person that knows how much tethering sucks over EDGE compared to 3G and I'm the only person who tethers who has an 8900. Oh well.
    3G has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages as well (bad battery life, larger devices due to the radio hardware, signal degrades quickly when moving at speed, etc). As far as tethering is concerned, 3G does make a huge difference but on the devices itself - not so much. I have DSL at my house so I don't have a need to tether.
    08-04-09 01:06 AM
    3G has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages as well (bad battery life, larger devices due to the radio hardware, signal degrades quickly when moving at speed, etc). As far as tethering is concerned, 3G does make a huge difference but on the devices itself - not so much. I have DSL at my house so I don't have a need to tether.
    I use my laptop on the go with my 8900 as the primary Internet connection if I can't find Wi-Fi that's unprotected. I have Wi-Fi on a great Internet connection at my house so I don't use my 8900 for tethering there. And pssh to larger devices, I had an 8700 and I still have one today. I don't want a device that thick anymore but I laugh at people saying the Bold is too big when I carried around the 8700.
    08-04-09 02:11 AM
    I've been wondering about the 8900 as well but I want the 3g. Most people seem to hate 3g for some reason but I want to be able to be on the phone and use data at the same time. As far as battery life is concerned all you would need is an extended life battery. I'm on the phone for hours a day at work so thats several hours where the data functionality would be useless to me. That being said, I think it's complete crap that tmo still doesn't have a 3g berry. It's making me regret being on tmo.
    08-04-09 03:08 AM
    I've been wondering about the 8900 as well but I want the 3g. Most people seem to hate 3g for some reason but I want to be able to be on the phone and use data at the same time. As far as battery life is concerned all you would need is an extended life battery. I'm on the phone for hours a day at work so thats several hours where the data functionality would be useless to me. That being said, I think it's complete crap that tmo still doesn't have a 3g berry. It's making me regret being on tmo.
    Yep, I also think it's crap that T-Mobile decided to not offer the Bold. I got as pissed as I did when I found out that T-Mobile would carry the Wing instead of the TyTN when I found that T-Mobile would not carry the Bold. I would have been perfectly happy with the Bold and would have kept it for 2 years. The 8900 is a device I was planning to skip if my 8320 didn't leak so much memory. Although looking at this forum, I'm probably the only one who will get the Driftwood.
    08-04-09 11:34 AM
    Well I think I'll end up just buying the 8900 then just cry as I lose more money buying the driftwood when it comes out lmao. Thing is I had bought a G1 just to play around with last year...had it for a while as just a toy then I started having issues with my 8320. I thought to myself, wth, I'll just use the G1 for now till a 3G berry comes out for tmo...what a mistake. As a toy the device is cool, as an all out phone and communication device it sucks. I'm actually posting this with the G1 (keyboard sucks too by the way). At this point I miss the crack so much that I'm willing to just burn money on the 8900 and driftwood when that's available...then I can leave my toy aka G1 in the drawer. I hate wasting money but it wouldn't be the most I've spent on berries (2 pearls, an 8320 and an 8310 all on the same day bout a yr n a half ago...that hurt the wallet lmao).

08-05-09 03:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD