Hey, i bought a 8900 on Orange UK, unlocked it, and put my T-Mobile Sim in, what i want to do is be able to use email on it, which requires a "data plan" but i already have free internet so do i still need a data plan? If i was to brand it with t-mobile UK software would it get rid of this problem? how could i brand it? thanks.
    08-05-09 08:13 AM
    To get Email...you will need the BB data plan...
    08-05-09 08:48 AM
    it dont make any sense tho, cause i have free internet, and orange and O2 give free data plans for blackberry included in contracts, so why dont t-mobile?
    08-05-09 09:01 AM
    they are not free... they are just included with the service fee you pay. Each company makes choices based on what it takes to be profitable.
    08-05-09 09:03 AM
    hmm, time to move networks i think.
    08-05-09 09:19 AM
    There is a unlimited data plan with T-Mobile for Blackberry. It gives you unlimited e-mail, text messages, & web browsing. I believe it is $34.99.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 09:22 AM
    good luck on your network move
    08-05-09 09:24 AM
    thanks for your help anyway, and i'm in the uk not usa. orange and o2 offer free plans so it should be given free by tmobile too
    08-05-09 09:50 AM
    maybe they just need to upgrade your account... sorry didn't realize you where in the UK.... you should try that....call CS and ask them to change the account over...
    08-05-09 10:34 AM
    If you have a free internet plan and just need email then try one of the pull email app's. Then you don't need the BB data plan as long as you don't want the other functionality that comes with it.
    08-05-09 10:53 AM
    do you need the data plan for windows live messenger usage? and they want to charge me a tenner extra a month, when i cud just get my PAC and change contract to a different network and keep my number
    08-05-09 11:23 AM
    do you need the data plan for windows live messenger usage? and they want to charge me a tenner extra a month, when i cud just get my PAC and change contract to a different network and keep my number
    You should look at this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/8900-without-data-plan-160704/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:35 AM
    A Blackberry Data Plan is different from any other "Internet Plan" and yes you will have to pay extra for it. To use Blackberry to its full potential, you need the Blackberry Data Plan. If you think you do not need all the Blackberry features and are willing to install and configure 3rd party applications, then you can consider that option as well. The reason it costs extra is because you need access to the RIM servers not just the Internet.
    08-05-09 11:45 AM
    I would think that all carriers would have to charge you extra to use the blackberry plan.... one provider wouldn't be the only one in a market able to get away with it.
    08-05-09 12:09 PM
    the way emails work is through tmob/att servers with requires data plan (95% sure of this). you can always access your emails through browser if you have wifi but not data plan; however, if you want the push service you will need a data plan.
    08-05-09 12:29 PM
    the bb data plan is different than any other internet plan...with the bb data it gives you access to BIS..with blackberrys all the data runs through blackberry instead of the actual carrier..i.e like with AT&T if you have a Razr u would have a media net plan which runs through at&t but with blackberry u have to have the bb data so you can get the correct APN provisioned on your account to allow you access to BB...

which as a result of this..if the blackberry server goes down and your carrier is up and running 100% ur still gonna have problems cause of BB being down..nothing your carrier can do except send you up to BB and they would just tell ya the same..from work i get email of any blackberry outages..makes it easier when someone calls in with no internet but everything else works great...
    Last edited by Robbeane; 08-05-09 at 10:39 PM.
    08-05-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD