So i got an 8900 from a friend yesterday and i would like to unlock it.
    I have a site recommend from lavinci which i plan to use.
    Question is i need to find out what carrier the phone is currently on. The phone
    doesn't have a sim, but under network it does say Tmobile. The phone doesn't have any branding on it and i'm afraid it might be a phone imported from another country. Is there a way to find out and do i even need to know the carrier to have the phone unlocked?

thanks
    08-24-09 11:48 PM
    weird, it should at least have a carrier logo next between the flash and camera on the back. When you reboot the phone it should also have a splash screen showing the carrier. If it is a 8900 from the US it will have red numbers if its a TMO phone.
    08-24-09 11:56 PM
    Ok - i did an ALT+Cap+H and found the vendor ID - 214 amx. Does anyone have an idea who this might be ? or where i can get this unlocked ? Has to be out of country
    08-24-09 11:59 PM
    First check to see if it is already unlocked:

To determine if your BlackBerry is "unlocked" for use on carriers other than for which it is branded:

1. Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card
    2. Type MEPD and a new menu will pop up.
    3. If all the items on that page say "Disabled", then your device is unlocked.

To check the carrier that your device is branded for, from the Home Screen:

Hold Alt + Left Shift then press H > In the menu, the Vendor Id is what you want to take note of.
    08-24-09 11:59 PM
    all items Disabled except Network - Active.
    Vendor ID - 214 AMX
    08-25-09 12:03 AM
    Alright, then it is still locked. I'm not sure what carrier that is.
    08-25-09 12:05 AM
    Thanks for your help. I'm researching in google now.
    08-25-09 12:07 AM
    I think this its for the carrier: Telcel
    08-25-09 12:08 AM
    I believe you could be right. The phone after a wipe did have its language in Spanish as default. I had to change to English.
    08-25-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD