HOPING FOR SOMEONE TO CLARIFY

After looking through numerous sites and forum postings, I am p.o'd if I am understanding this properly. My BB 8530 keeps switching from EDGE to GSM and I have to pull battery constantly to get back. If what I read is correct, the only fix is an O.S. update during which I will lose all my info unless I backup using Desktop Manager. I did not get a USB cable and have no other reason to purchase one other than to do this upgrade because I do not have a wireless update available through Fido.
    Fido tells me it's a BB issue, yet some postings say it has to do with my service coverage.
    Can anyone please clarify if this is a BB or service provider issue.
    07-07-10 07:17 PM
    First off, the 8530 is a CDMA device, so the terms EDGE and GSM do not apply to this device.

Second, EDGE is a term for a particular data network, GSM is a network technology, while they're related (EDGE is a data network utilized by a GSM network), you can't drop from EDGE to GSM.

Care to clarify?

What is the exact model of the handset you're using, sure it's not the 8520? When you have it active on the data network, what does it say by the signal meter, does it say EDGE, 1XEV, or 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD