I want to replace the keyboard on my 8520 with a Thai one I have already purchased. I have seen the videos on YouTube and quite frankly, the idea of ripping off the lens cover is less than appealing to me. Anyone who has already done this procedure, please report back here with your results. Can you really just put the original lens cover back on and it will stay? The original glue is still strong enough to just slap the original back down after being pried off? Are there any scratches or other tell-tale signs that you removed the lens cover. I have taken apart Curve 8320s many times, but the way you have to open the 8520 give me pause.
    03-07-10 01:58 AM
    Depends how handy you are. If your use to taking phones apart and putting them back together, you should be alright. Take your time and be careful.
    03-07-10 02:05 AM
    This didn't answer my question. I want posts from people who have actually done this and whether the screen reattachment is good or does it create a problem. The main question is does the adhesive readhere sufficiently.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-07-10 03:46 AM
    I just (literally just!) changed my faceplate/casing...

To be honest, I'd advise you to buy a new sreen just for assurance and peace of mind. My attempt to remove the screen does not go too smoothly. The adhesive stuck to the screen of the plate . Perhaps it's because I pried them from the top, and not from the bottom part of the screen (Lesson learned!! ). Luckily I have bought a new screenface, so I just attached the new one.

The Torx screws were pretty straightforward, although I got scared a bit while trying to remove the front casing, but it worked well and nothing broke.

While you're at it, why not change the casing as well? You already have broken the warranty, why not go full force and change the casing too?

But, my advice is, buy a new screen... just in case...
    03-07-10 06:32 AM
    What do you mean by "The adhesive stuck to the screen of the plate?" I am not quite sure what you mean by this. Why should I change the casing? I like the black color case just fine. All I want to do is drop in a keyboard with Thai characters on it so I can type in English and sometimes Thai.
    03-07-10 07:03 AM
    I work part time at a Sprint/Nextel repair center. So this is about as good an answer as you're gonna get..... If you are gonna do it yourself, buy a new screen face first. Its almost 50/50 on if it will be reusable. We're told to replace them if we have to remove them for any reason.

Good luck.
    03-07-10 07:04 AM
    I work part time at a Sprint/Nextel repair center. So this is about as good an answer as you're gonna get..... If you are gonna do it yourself, buy a new screen face first. Its almost 50/50 on if it will be reusable. We're told to replace them if we have to remove them for any reason.

Good luck.
    Thanks, that's the type of answer I was looking for. Erudite and on point. I don't understand why RIM designed this model with a peel off face for service. Seems kind of a stupid design. The question is how to get a real RIM made lens cover for a reasonable price. Most of the ones on the websites are not genuine OEM. I have seen one with two holes over the LED. Don't understand that one at all.
    03-07-10 07:08 AM
    100% NEW Original Screen Lens for BlackBerry Curve 8520 - eBay (item 270538554362 end time Mar-29-10 08:04:28 PDT)

This is the same screen I used when I made my step son a custom made Orange "Inferno" 8530. It worked fine for me.
    03-07-10 07:12 AM
    Well, try it yourself then... and I hope you don't encounter any problem!

03-07-10 07:14 AM
    100% NEW Original Screen Lens for BlackBerry Curve 8520 - eBay (item 270538554362 end time Mar-29-10 08:04:28 PDT)

This is the same screen I used when I made my step son a custom made Orange "Inferno" 8530. It worked fine for me.
    Does it have the silicone type material in between the two slits at the bottom like the original one does?
    03-07-10 07:20 AM
    Does it have the silicone type material in between the two slits at the bottom like the original one does?
    Yep... It really seems like the exact same ones we use at Sprint. Coming from Hong Kong its obviously not made by RIM, but since I am not a fan of stealing from work, this is the closest I could get without stealing or spending 5x as much for one.
    03-07-10 07:29 AM
    Yep... It really seems like the exact same ones we use at Sprint. Coming from Hong Kong its obviously not made by RIM, but since I am not a fan of stealing from work, this is the closest I could get without stealing or spending 5x as much for one.
    I am in Thailand and that seller won't ship to me.
    03-07-10 08:53 AM
    I am in Thailand and that seller won't ship to me.

I'm sorry about that. I don't know what to tell you then. I do know that the 8530 and the 8520 use the exact same lens cover/face plate so if you can find one for the CDMA Curve2 than you will be able to use it with your 8520. Or you could just try it and hope you can reuse yours. Like I said before, its 50/50.

Good Luck
    03-07-10 11:03 AM
    You think to replace keyboard only can do without removing lens cover? Just remove screws and pry open bottom and sides of case, remove drop-in part of keyboard and put back together?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-08-10 01:49 AM
    I totally f-ed up my original lens when I removed it. Make sure the proper tool is completely under the lens before prying apart. Btw, u can always get a backup lens, just in case

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-10 04:40 PM

Does this come with adhesive already on it? (like a sticker) or did you have to use your own tape/ glue? Thanks!
    03-17-10 12:18 AM
    I emailed the user and YES IT DOES come with adhesive already applied.
    03-17-10 02:18 AM
    Hey guys, I broke my lcd screen (sat on it) didnt have insurance and Vodafone qouted me 110 to fix so thought screw that i'd do it myself. Bought a genuine lcd screen and face plate, tested it out and it works perfectly! Case was easy as pie to take off however...The only downside is now I cant seem to put the damn cover back on! Anyone who's taken there 8520 apart know a technique to slide it on properly?
    05-20-10 09:51 PM

Hay V do you have any pics of the "Orange Inferno"
    05-21-10 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD