09-03-09 02:34 PM
50 12
tools
    I just got my 8350i from telus today and after over an hour with client support and data support and then the loyalty line, we all came to the conclusion that I CANNOT send SMS msgs directly from my BB. I can receive them but it doesn't indicate who sent them. The only way to send SMS from the BB is to visit the WAP browser and do it through the web, MAJOR PITA so not feasible and completely useless.

Is this the same on the Nextel network? I had a i580 and have used SMS on the MIke network for some time with no problem so I know the network supports it. And I realize this was a problem with the 7100i but come on with the technology in the new 8350i there must be a way to include in the package!

One more reason for everyone to have a BB so we can just PIN each other!
    01-28-09 10:24 PM
    well its under my assumption that it is set to display only sms outage but the actual sent message is sms as long as there are no media attached. So even though it may not indicate it, it is still sms.
    01-28-09 10:29 PM
    well its under my assumption that it is set to display only sms outage but the actual sent message is sms as long as there are no media attached. So even though it may not indicate it, it is still sms.
    ok sorry i read that reply 3 times and i still don't understand it, what is "it is still sms".

Sorry maybe I am having a brain fart or maybe it is too late but can you dumb it down for me please.
    01-29-09 12:33 AM
    alright, the mms option is the sms option.
    it only doesnt say sms.
    if you text a person and add pictures or any other media it delivers a mms,
    but when you simply text a message its sms.
    so eventhough there is no sms option, the network deciphers it and sends the message as it should be. whether its sms or mms.
    the option just isnt stated in the phone as it does this process on its own!
    01-29-09 12:40 AM
    ok well now i understand what you mean but in our version (telus)
    there isn't even an option for mms. SO i can't even go that route.
    01-29-09 11:07 PM
    A friend of mine was having the same problem with hers so she took it back to telus and complained. Im not sure what they did but now she is able to send SMS. I don't know if her mms is working but at least now she can send SMS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 01:15 PM
    have you called techsupport?
    01-30-09 01:36 PM
    You have to send a MMS, you can't send SMS's with this BB
    01-30-09 01:52 PM
    I just got my 8350i yesterday, and I, too, am with Telus (Mike). So far, I'm in love. But without being able to SMS, it's completely useless to me. I've called Tech Support twice, and I get the same run-around both times. They tell me to use the WAP browser to send messages, which is a completely BS solution. I'm so frustrated, I've got steam coming out of my ears. The guy even had the balls to tell me that I was wrong, and that's the way that Blackberry units are designed. Whatever...

I have done some looking around, and it seems that Nextel people (or some of them) have been having the same problem initially, but they are working now. I've been looking for a Blackberry Tech Support phone number, but I can't locate one. Anybody have one? Anybody with any updates about this? I'm gonna return the thing if I can't send text messages with it.

Thx
    01-30-09 04:23 PM
    I just switched to an 8350i yesterday. I am a Telus Mike client, I was unable to send SMS on my old unit 7520 either (I had it for 3 years) always could receive them, but never send them. It is my understanding there is no fix nor any intention of a fix, we have been griping to Telus about this for the past 3 years. There suggestion always is go to a PCS unit if you want to SMS. So it boils down to the trade off I guess. Do you want direct connect or SMS more? I know it sucks
    01-30-09 04:48 PM
    I know that was the case with the older Mike Blackberry units, but I was always under the impression that it was a hardware problem, not a network problem. With the new Curve, the hardware (or OS, I suppose) shouldn't be an issue. I don't understand why I could do all the texting in the world (and even pay Telus for a text messaging bundle) from my i880 Mike phone, but not from my Mike Blackberry. As well, I've used Curves from Rogers, and have sent text messages with them. So the hardware is capable, the network is capable, so why isn't it working?
    01-30-09 05:08 PM
    I've been reading through lots of forums trying to find a fix. The Sprint/Nextel folks have had odd problems with their phones as well, and Service Books seem to keep popping up frequently. I checked my Service Books, and there doesn't seem to be anything in regards to SMS or MMS. I wonder if there's a way to load that on, and maybe that'll fix the problem...

Any ideas?
    01-30-09 05:48 PM
    this seems to be a something telus has done with all BB's

they have disabled it on their end.
    01-30-09 06:13 PM
    Just to clarify neither the nextel or mike version can send SMS messages but the Nextel version CAN send MMS messages. This works for me if only telus would activate it so the option is there!!!
    01-31-09 11:37 AM
    telus does not and says they will no support text on the 8350i

making it a dumbphone not a smartphone
    01-31-09 10:46 PM
    ok i have given up on SMS, but it should at least support MMS because it does on the sprint side.
    01-31-09 10:50 PM
    I can not believe that in the year of our Lord 2009 that a phone company does not support texting. Totally shocked on this one. wow Telus? Tell us it ain't so!
    02-01-09 01:06 AM
    I have talked to Telus tech spport a couple of times now. When i bought my phone at the store they said that you have to go through the wap browser, then communicate, then text, confirm you are sending a text, then enter the phone number (which you have to remeber no option for going into a conatct list) enter your message, then enter your phone number, then enter your name and then send the message. People cannot reply to this message that you send. People can also send you a text message but when you go to sms and look at the message it doesnt tell you who its from and you cannot reply to it. Tech support said that BlackBerry new of this issue beofre the relase but decided to release it anyway. They also said that they are working on a fix between Telus and RIM right now and it should be sometime between March and June... hahah wow thats a pretty big time frame. and really it cant be that big of a deal to fix.. ? Pretty annoyed that you cant send an sms or mms with any means of simplicity on these new phones
    02-01-09 10:20 AM
    Well, hearing that they are actually working on it and may actually have a time frame is refreshing to hear! I removed texting from my account because I'd lost all hope... I will be on the edge of my seat, waiting until this issue is resolved. Thanks for giving me some hope, though.
    02-02-09 09:49 PM
    so what do i do to send just a text message?

menu>send mms?

or something like that?
    02-03-09 05:36 PM
    Yah that works if your are on nextel. If youv are on telus the option isn't available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 07:20 PM
    Im a Telus User with the BB 8350i and I contacted Telus like 13 times and was told a whole heap of bull****. They basically just did not activate this part of the blackberry. Speaking to the senior representative at RIM they advised me that TELUS chose not to add the SMS/MMS option on the phone. I Don't know what to do. Should I keep it or get the STORM.

02-05-09 06:03 PM
    Why does the video for Mike 8350i with AIM raceteam say that they use texting?

BlackBerry Curve 8350i @ the 2009 Daytona Rolex 24hr Race | CrackBerry.com
    02-06-09 07:29 PM
    Why does the video for Mike 8350i with AIM raceteam say that they use texting?

BlackBerry Curve 8350i @ the 2009 Daytona Rolex 24hr Race | CrackBerry.com
    yah i saw the same thing. But i guess technically they can send txt messages they just have to go through the WAP browser a big PITA!!
    02-06-09 10:44 PM
    I just talked to a Blackberry rep. He was in my store, so I started chatting with him. He told me that on Monday he heard from Telus that there will be a patch for the 8350i to fix text messaging. And he said that he thinks it will be SMS that is available. He said that the patch will be available in one or two weeks. Take it with a grain of salt, but here's hoping...
    02-07-09 09:54 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD