Ok, here are several problems I have encountered and I know others have. Some of them have already been resolved, but should still be addressed:

1) GPS just SUCKS!.....I'm sorry, but I routinely wait 5 minutes to 'Find my Location'. Everyone else around me already has the map and is off and running, 8350i is still searching. Google maps just doesn't even work. I have seen some discussion on this but no real answers.......

2) What's up with the camera? I am surfing the web or doing something else and suddenly get the urge to snap a pic. Hit the quick launch button and it tells me that it can't open the camera. Try shutting down some other programs and restart it.....HUH? I try a few things but the only thing that works is a battery pull [TIP.....download the 'Soft Restart' program.....it's a life saver!]

3) What's up with some programs only using WiFi? I thought the 8350i would find what ever connection is available and connect? I have the FULL plan and when I'm on the road and try to get Google News, I get the 'This requires a WiFi connection'. What's up with this? Is there an AUTOMATIC setting I'm missing somewhere? While were on the topic....WiFi should auto locate a portal and connect if it is open. Why do I have to spend the time to manually search for a connection? I know, you are about to tell me to go change the setting. I did. It still didn't work. I figure connecting to the McD's WiFi network would be easier than ordering a #2 with cheese???

4) The MMS issue is a real issue coming out of the box. For those who havn't, go to the settings and change the auto download to ALWAYS. Restart it and you'll be good to go.

5) Battery....come on. They make cars run longer on the same freaking thing. Why can I not use my phone all day without it going dead. If cars can travel nearly 300 miles on a single charge, then I should be able to use my 8350i for 8-10 hours.....at least. Go talk to Mr. Pickens in Texas, he can power an entire city with a gust of wind. Fix the Battery!

6) Wall paper......enough said! [Since there is not any!]

7) File Icons.....will someone please fire the person that thought those 'all look the same' icons were actually functional. Please post the method to change the icons so that I can actually tell them apart! PLEASE!

8) Light - this is a selfish one, but I loved the fact that the 7100i could light up a dark room. The 8350i does have a camera and a light that can send S.O.S. signals to passing vessels. Please, someone write a script that will turn the light on instead of having to go through all the buttons to turn on the video camera just to use the light. It's there, it's bright, it's great. Lets get it to work!

There are few more issues that I think will work themselves out after I get to know the little bugger a little bit more. These are just a few of the more notable ones. IF anyone has some suggestions.....PLEASE let me know. I don't want to send a bad message, the 8350i is a welcome sight for sore eyes [and fingers], but let's get it to work like it should!
    12-21-08 12:36 PM
    Your car has an alternator that recharges its battery and lessens its use. So just keep your phone plugged in and you can use all you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 01:21 PM
    i just got my 8350i working.

the store never set up the "blackberry" package up on my everything plan.

i'm worried about MMS...I can recieve text messages from my friends, but when i send a MMS or reply to a text message...they never get it.

if you read the manual it says things like "send MMS to MMS capable phones" i'm thinking there are no capable MMS phones and I won't be able to simply text my friends.

am i doing something wrong?
    12-21-08 01:31 PM
    It has taken a while to get it figured out, but this is my first BB. I have had several problems but all of them have been user related!

1. Do not just switch over your old sim card to the new phone. Nothing worked except the phone and the DC. I went to the Sprint store and they fixed it.
    2. It took a while to figure out the the auto settings for the sms/mms. I also kept looking to send a sms when they are calling all mms.

So far everything else is okay, except I cant copy my sim contacts to the BB. I hit the copy to contacts and nothing happens? Anybody else have this problem? Or it another user error that I am not doing someting correct
    12-21-08 02:13 PM
    Wow,seems this blackberry has a lot of issues,glad I don't have nextel.

12-21-08 02:44 PM
    8) Light - this is a selfish one, but I loved the fact that the 7100i could light up a dark room. The 8350i does have a camera and a light that can send S.O.S. signals to passing vessels. Please, someone write a script that will turn the light on instead of having to go through all the buttons to turn on the video camera just to use the light. It's there, it's bright, it's great. Lets get it to work!
    It is a great light and ready at hand if you set the convenience button to video.

Options / Screen/Keyboard / Right side convenience key ....

The next step is setting the Video Light for Automatic or On. I prefer Automatic, it comes on when it's dark enough to justify it. Press record and light your way. Delete the video clip when your done.

However, this is related to your point #5. Battery Life. It will suck the battery dry.

12-21-08 03:32 PM
    3) What's up with some programs only using WiFi? I thought the 8350i would find what ever connection is available and connect? I have the FULL plan and when I'm on the road and try to get Google News, I get the 'This requires a WiFi connection'. What's up with this? Is there an AUTOMATIC setting I'm missing somewhere? While were on the topic....WiFi should auto locate a portal and connect if it is open. Why do I have to spend the time to manually search for a connection? I know, you are about to tell me to go change the setting. I did. It still didn't work. I figure connecting to the McD's WiFi network would be easier than ordering a #2 with cheese???
    Wifi could be easier, but there are a few tricks you have to be aware of.

First is the difference between your Internet Browser and your Wifi Browser. When you save a bookmark, it chooses one based on the default. If you have your default set to Hotspot, it will only be available when you have the Wifi connection.

If you set the default to Internet Browser, it will work with either your carrier signal or the Wifi connection when active.

12-21-08 03:40 PM
    Wifi could be easier, but there are a few tricks you have to be aware of.

First is the difference between your Internet Browser and your Wifi Browser. When you save a bookmark, it chooses one based on the default. If you have your default set to Hotspot, it will only be available when you have the Wifi connection.

If you set the default to Internet Browser, it will work with either your carrier signal or the Wifi connection when active.

I do have the browser set to Internet Browser, not HotSpot Browser. as well as the MDS Browser set also to Internet. So it seems as though the program, Google Apps, has determined that it only wants a WiFi connection. So I went in and changed the Goole Permissions. We will see if that works.

Also, for those who sent me a message looking for the soft reset, there are a couple. I can't remember the one I actually downloaded but here is a link to one.... blackberrysoftwarelist.net/Blackberry/Download-software/blackberry-freeware/Soft_Reset.aspx
    12-21-08 06:01 PM
    i just got my 8350i working.

the store never set up the "blackberry" package up on my everything plan.

i'm worried about MMS...I can recieve text messages from my friends, but when i send a MMS or reply to a text message...they never get it.

if you read the manual it says things like "send MMS to MMS capable phones" i'm thinking there are no capable MMS phones and I won't be able to simply text my friends.

am i doing something wrong?
    Almost forgot to mention that one. People I used to text no longer get my text messages. I have not found any real info on this one.
    12-21-08 06:11 PM
    I ordred the 8350i yesterday, I currently have the Samsung Instinct. Telesales was willing to let me get the 8350i for $150 after rebates, I couldnt say no.

Butum, you all are scare'n the holy crap out of me.

The problems people are having with this phone are issues I've NEVER had with my Instinct.

Can somone please tell me the GOOD things about this phone?

What makes the Blackberry 8350i better than the Samsung Instinct?

I've always wanted to join the Blackberry family. But not if its as disfunctional as it appears from the outside looking in..
    12-21-08 06:16 PM
    I ordred the 8350i yesterday, I currently have the Samsung Instinct. Telesales was willing to let me get the 8350i for $150 after rebates, I couldnt say no.

Butum, you all are scare'n the holy crap out of me.

The problems people are having with this phone are issues I've NEVER had with my Instinct.

Can somone please tell me the GOOD things about this phone?

What makes the Blackberry 8350i better than the Samsung Instinct?

I've always wanted to join the Blackberry family. But not if its as disfunctional as it appears from the outside looking in..

Realize that those of us who want the PTT and the satisfaction of a smartphone [no pun intended] have no other choice. The advancements from the 7100i are too numerous to mention. I'm just glad it has a camera, no antenna sticking up, WiFi......etc.

Realize also the phone has now been on the market for 4 days [it came ou on monday but didn't start hitting mailboxes until wednesday]. So a few bugs are expected. My guess is most should be sorted out in the next 2-3 weeks after most of the smart guys start fooling with it.
    12-21-08 06:45 PM
    I dont know if Ive ever seen a good thread with this new device..

I dont know what else to suggest other than whats been said,

Are you still not getting your texts? Id be calling Sprint/nextel.

Then Id go get another device LOL

too many issues for me personally to sit and figure out, it shouldnt be ths hard.
    12-21-08 07:00 PM
    Realize that those of us who want the PTT and the satisfaction of a smartphone [no pun intended] have no other choice. The advancements from the 7100i are too numerous to mention. I'm just glad it has a camera, no antenna sticking up, WiFi......etc.

Realize also the phone has now been on the market for 4 days [it came ou on monday but didn't start hitting mailboxes until wednesday]. So a few bugs are expected. My guess is most should be sorted out in the next 2-3 weeks after most of the smart guys start fooling with it.
    i agree.

although a peice of me feels like im making a $150.00 mistake.
    12-21-08 07:33 PM
    Id SO trade my wifi AND MMS anyday for GPS, I never use either of them LOL
    12-21-08 07:40 PM
    GPS is #1 on the list of things that don't work well. I am finding out that speed is also not high on the ooo ahhh list either.
    12-21-08 09:57 PM
    gps works fine when on wifi , or when your outside
    you will wait forever when indoors

only issues i have are the voice dialing wont work with my h800 , has worked fine on 2 other phones voice works great when not using the headset

i dont know what all the fuss over mms is i send anything to anyone without issues... got mine on tuesday, took 4 hours to connect to the network
    then thursday 3 people sent texts and I didnt receive any ......had to pull the battery but before i did I noticed I had NXTl , not NXTL which is supposed to be receive sms ......after pulling the battery, I got 2 MMS and 9 sms texts
    12-21-08 10:52 PM
    NV82011770-NOV 08 MIR - when I placed my order - 3 things showed up on my order confirmation. The phone, the car charger and this. It shows the Car Charger and this have shipped and gives me a tracking number, but says nothing next to the phone. Any thoughts?
    12-22-08 03:08 AM
    gps works fine when on wifi , or when your outside
    you will wait forever when indoors

only issues i have are the voice dialing wont work with my h800 , has worked fine on 2 other phones voice works great when not using the headset

i dont know what all the fuss over mms is i send anything to anyone without issues... got mine on tuesday, took 4 hours to connect to the network
    then thursday 3 people sent texts and I didnt receive any ......had to pull the battery but before i did I noticed I had NXTl , not NXTL which is supposed to be receive sms ......after pulling the battery, I got 2 MMS and 9 sms texts
    I looked to see if there was a way that my GPS setting were set to only use WiFi and I could not locate it. So I feel that the setting is correct. I did notice that the GPS I was referring to was specific to the TeleNav and also to GMaps. The onboard BB Maps does seem to work decently.

So it looks like we are muddling through the list fairly well. One of the things that has not been discussed is the changing of the 'all look the same' icons. At one point I thought I saw where you could change it, but I have not been able to find it again.

Also, the MMS/SMS/Text Messaging issue is becoming troublesome. I found that I sent about a dozen text messages and none of them went through, even though the BB gave me the 'Success' notification. I was able to receive two-three and actually did get out 2, but the rest are simply floating around in.......well, if you find them, let me know!
    12-22-08 07:42 AM
    glad my friend didnt get this fone
    12-22-08 07:52 AM
    I have two 8330 and two 8350i and 8350i is a GREAT phone everything work very well on it GPS is fast wifi is wow fast,very easy too run the NEW NEXTEL BLACKBERRY,check out the 8350i for urself and u will see that it is great BB/NEXTEL. Battery life is great even when in wifi mode all day and heavy use,the 2way is the best,very loud and clear,there is not a DAM thing wrong with the breakthrough device,once again BLACKBERRY DID IT. THANKS
    12-22-08 08:11 AM
    "1) GPS just SUCKS!.....I'm sorry, but I routinely wait 5 minutes to 'Find my Location'. Everyone else around me already has the map and is off and running, 8350i is still searching. Google maps just doesn't even work. I have seen some discussion on this but no real answers......."

I had the same problem and this is what i did[might seem CRAZY!!!]:

1.)OPTIONS-ADVANCED-GPS-and made sure that the
    PRIVACY SETTING was set to UNRESTRICTED
    2.)Hit the menu key and select REFRESH GPS
    After i did all that and opened up TELENAV or MAPS the GPS was able to locate me within seconds. The only thing that bothers me is that those steps as of now might need to be done each time[if the application TELENAV,MAPS is closed out]

If all else fails here is the number to the TELENAV department[they have there own TECH support]: 888-353-6284
    12-22-08 10:06 AM

I agree with "lilrascle" on these points.
    This phone is far better than the 7100i/brick of a phone that it was. It served it's purpose, but so did smoke signals.
    I've had mine since the 17th and I haven't had one problem yet. It just may not be the right phone for everyone, but for those who need the DC for business and a highly functioning BB this is the phone for you.
    By the way, 1st time poster, long time reader.
    12-22-08 06:02 PM
    This phone has only been out for a week give me a break!!! There are reasons that people don't buy the first gens of phones when they come out. As for the camera issue, they weren't even supposed to be released with cameras so quit whining at least you got one!

12-22-08 06:54 PM
    I've had big problems with this phone, unfortunately. I'm in line for a replacement, as they are backordered, and I'm about to cancel it and get an 8330. My first impressions were WOW. I was in love with the phone. However, I kept getting dropped to NXTl instead of NXTL. So, my data would keep dropping. It took me forever to receive text messages, I still have yet to recieve one from a friend of mine. The simple fix was to pull the battery. I pulled the battery and I couldn't reconnect to the network, at all. The wifi is awesome, however, when not in wifi mode I do not receive all of my email until I hit a hotspot. Unfortunately, the lack of sprintTV...come on, it should accessable in a hotspot, hurts too. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but I've had too many issues with it to want another. So, I lay here broken hearted with a phone that won't connect so I am going to grab an 8330 and might jump back on the nextel ship when they make a hybird blackberry.
    12-22-08 07:01 PM
    It has taken a while to get it figured out, but this is my first BB. I have had several problems but all of them have been user related!

1. Do not just switch over your old sim card to the new phone. Nothing worked except the phone and the DC. I went to the Sprint store and they fixed it.
    2. It took a while to figure out the the auto settings for the sms/mms. I also kept looking to send a sms when they are calling all mms.

So far everything else is okay, except I cant copy my sim contacts to the BB. I hit the copy to contacts and nothing happens? Anybody else have this problem? Or it another user error that I am not doing someting correct
    I did this and I have 3 of everything.
    12-22-08 07:33 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD