Anybody else have spontaneous shut offs? 2 today. First time was this . Get up turn bedside mode off. put in holster going to work I find the unit off the first time I check it. 2nd time pick up phone and its on put in holster to carry to the bedroom decided to check for new mail and its off. Hold power button and nothing will turn it on but a reset. aghhhh... anybody?

How do I get the back light to stay bright , it tends to dim and get bright on its own and its driving me nutts. I check the brightness but its up to 100%.
    12-22-08 07:35 PM
    If you are having that many issues and they are not user error then I think you got a bad unit cause I haven't had any problems with mine really and it is working great!

The ONLY issue I had was the text message and a simple battery pull and setting the MMS to Always On fixed that fine. As to the battery mine has been on since 6AM EST this morning and I have been on it most of the day talking, PTT and on the web and even roaming and I have yet to lose even a single bar on the battery meter.
    12-22-08 08:30 PM
    i was trying to get the voice dialing with my bt to work , then all of a sudden the screen went black, the led turned red..........then it rebooted
    wtf.......??
    12-22-08 10:06 PM
    damn bro you need to read up on things before you start complaining all like that. jesus
    12-22-08 10:45 PM
    As to the battery mine has been on since 6AM EST this morning and I have been on it most of the day talking, PTT and on the web and even roaming and I have yet to lose even a single bar on the battery meter.
    how exactly does an iDen unit go to roaming?
    12-22-08 11:17 PM
    This is addressing those who are having issues sending text messages. I think the problem you are having is that you are typing your message in the subject area not the message area. the message area is right below the subject area but it has the message you are replying to in it.
    12-24-08 10:35 AM
    Ok, so I still haven't seen any decent posts on all of the original topics but here are a few:

1) The camera seems to not function after using the phone for some time, i.e., web browsing etc. It comes up with the error 'Unable to open camera, try closing other apps and restart' or something to that affect. Problem is there are no other programs running and the video does actually still work with no problems????

2) Those stupid little 'all look the same' icons are still annoying. Somebody....please......stop the madness.......!

3) So the GPS does work well. TeleNav has some issues, but there is a workaround that does seem to function, however, I am not sure if you have to repeat the steps every time you want to use it. I did it once and it seemed to fix everything. I did manage to reduce the wait time to about 10 seconds. [Goto Options>Advanced Options>GPS>[click the menu button] click on Refresh GPS, then close all the windows and start TeleNav. [Thanks for the temporary fix]. Otherwise, just use the BB map

4) Nojoy on the Voice dialing/BT stuff yet.

5) For the one who had the question about the shortcut to quickly change apps......hold the ALT key while pressing the menu key. A window will pop up with different apps. Each time you press the menu key it will select a different program. When you have selected the one you want, just release the ALT key and......poof.

6) A BB Tech support fix for those that have difficulty with the web browsing who receive the 'this is a WiFi supported program......' error message. Turn off the WiFi. Simple as that. Double check to make sure your Browser is set to Internet and your BB should then use the data pipeline to hook you to the web. I think it should auto detect, but for now that's the answer.

.....and the SAGA continues!
    12-25-08 03:47 PM
    sorry, almost forgot about this one.....it's about the DC and the sound. Any other suggestions?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/dir...-8350i-118055/
    12-25-08 03:56 PM
    hi!

i'm from indonesia (in asia) and i am planning to buy the unlocked BB 8350i (which will be my first BB) through e-bay.

i've read almost the user's review upon BB 8350i in this site and others. The way i see it, the main problem for me with BB 8350i is in the text messaging service.

I have the following questions:
    1. Does the problem of text messaging lies in the BB 8350i itself or in the carrier (the nextel)?

(NOTE: 'cause if the problem lies in the BB, then it cannot be solved and i think i will not buy 8350i. But if the problem lies in the carrier, then, i might buy the BB since indeed I will not use nextel as my carrier here in Indonesia. So i just get my own carrier here and such problem may be solved. Is that correct?)

2. How about the battery life? I heard BB has a short battery life. How long does the battery last for BB 8350i? a day? or half day?

(NOTE: i read from official BB site that compared to other Curves, 8350i has the shortest stand by time, which is 168 hours (8310 n 8320 has 480 standby time). Just wondering how the user of 8350i actually feel it)

many ..many thanks for your reply!
    12-26-08 07:53 AM
    Id SO trade my wifi AND MMS anyday for GPS, I never use either of them LOL
    how about having all of them ?
    12-26-08 08:14 AM
    Doesnt matter now cuz I got a GPS for Christmas LOL
    12-26-08 08:25 AM
    hi!

i'm from indonesia (in asia) and i am planning to buy the unlocked BB 8350i (which will be my first BB) through e-bay.

i've read almost the user's review upon BB 8350i in this site and others. The way i see it, the main problem for me with BB 8350i is in the text messaging service.

I have the following questions:
    1. Does the problem of text messaging lies in the BB 8350i itself or in the carrier (the nextel)?

(NOTE: 'cause if the problem lies in the BB, then it cannot be solved and i think i will not buy 8350i. But if the problem lies in the carrier, then, i might buy the BB since indeed I will not use nextel as my carrier here in Indonesia. So i just get my own carrier here and such problem may be solved. Is that correct?)

2. How about the battery life? I heard BB has a short battery life. How long does the battery last for BB 8350i? a day? or half day?

(NOTE: i read from official BB site that compared to other Curves, 8350i has the shortest stand by time, which is 168 hours (8310 n 8320 has 480 standby time). Just wondering how the user of 8350i actually feel it)

many ..many thanks for your reply!
    tough question...in my opinion if you want it then you should get it....
    every time a new phone is released you get this same routine from the whiners and clueless that always overeact..
    i think most of the issues about MMS is a carrier problem.....the GPS taking forever is a non issue since the same person said it is perfect with BB maps....tells me you need to point a finger at the sprint GPS software
    you should never pay attention to battery life complaints when a person gets a brand new phone...we all know what happens with a brand new phone.....the phone is probably begging for a break ..lol
    i have no clue how long my Bold's battery lasts for ...i charge it every night when i go to bed....and thats good enough for me...unless you're awake for days at a time with no way of charging your phone i dont really see the point of worrying about battery life
    Last edited by giantfan30; 12-26-08 at 08:34 AM.
    12-26-08 08:30 AM
    Ok......question: I was asked the other day about one-touch muting. I also saw the thread about the Direct Connect and provided a quick link. So here it is......where is the "oh geeez, I need to mute this thing" shortcut? On the 7100i it was pressing and holding the # key I believe. It would auto mute everything, or change it to vibrate. So on the 8350i, how do you quickly mute it?
    12-26-08 10:31 PM
    Ok...scratch the last question........it still is the # [Q] key. I was just too lazy and cynical to try it. SO how about the DC volume.....anyone solve that one yet?
    12-26-08 10:55 PM
    Another thing i noticed about this phone is that when you use the speakerphone in a regular voice call it is loud as can be like Nextel phones always have been, but when you use the DC it will BEEP BEEP really loud and be really quiet when the other person is talking i have to hold the phone up to my ear to hear anything.
    12-26-08 11:53 PM
    Hello,

I'm new to blackberry and have had the 8350i for about a week now.

I have to say that I love this phone. I've read through this whole thread, and have only had one problem that any of the others seem to have.

I am able to send MMS messages just fine. My problem is receiving them. I will get them ALL at once at odd times. For hours I get no text messages, then BOOM! I get 12 at once - 8 of them usually wondering why I wasn't responding. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm in a wifi or iDEN, rural area or metro.... Just odd. Its not bothered me enough to make a call to Sprint yet, but I will today.

Other than that I have experienced none of the myriad of other issues that seem to plague others. My GPS works fantastic and finds me in seconds. Call quality is excellent. DC works great, call quality is fantastic.

As far as battery life - I've had no issues. I work 12 hour shifts and I actually use the device quite a bit for work (as well as play during "down times") and after a full 12 hour shift I may be at half battery life. Seems pretty good to me seeing as how I feel as thought I'm a fairly heavy user (its still a new toy, so I look for reasons to get it out and play with it...).

I hope the others of you that have this phone work out the issues. I feel for you. I love it, hopefully a call to Sprint will work out my MMS messaging issue. Other than that its fantastic. Even then though, I use Yahoo! messenger more and have no issues with it at all.
    12-27-08 12:48 PM
    1) GPS just SUCKS!.....I'm sorry, but I routinely wait 5 minutes to 'Find my Location'. Everyone else around me already has the map and is off and running, 8350i is still searching. Google maps just doesn't even work. I have seen some discussion on this but no real answers.......

2) What's up with the camera? I am surfing the web or doing something else and suddenly get the urge to snap a pic. Hit the quick launch button and it tells me that it can't open the camera. Try shutting down some other programs and restart it.....HUH? I try a few things but the only thing that works is a battery pull [TIP.....download the 'Soft Restart' program.....it's a life saver!]

3) What's up with some programs only using WiFi? I thought the 8350i would find what ever connection is available and connect? I have the FULL plan and when I'm on the road and try to get Google News, I get the 'This requires a WiFi connection'. What's up with this? Is there an AUTOMATIC setting I'm missing somewhere? While were on the topic....WiFi should auto locate a portal and connect if it is open. Why do I have to spend the time to manually search for a connection? I know, you are about to tell me to go change the setting. I did. It still didn't work. I figure connecting to the McD's WiFi network would be easier than ordering a #2 with cheese???

4) The MMS issue is a real issue coming out of the box. For those who havn't, go to the settings and change the auto download to ALWAYS. Restart it and you'll be good to go.

5) Battery....come on. They make cars run longer on the same freaking thing. Why can I not use my phone all day without it going dead. If cars can travel nearly 300 miles on a single charge, then I should be able to use my 8350i for 8-10 hours.....at least. Go talk to Mr. Pickens in Texas, he can power an entire city with a gust of wind. Fix the Battery!

6) Wall paper......enough said! [Since there is not any!]

7) File Icons.....will someone please fire the person that thought those 'all look the same' icons were actually functional. Please post the method to change the icons so that I can actually tell them apart! PLEASE!

8) Light - this is a selfish one, but I loved the fact that the 7100i could light up a dark room. The 8350i does have a camera and a light that can send S.O.S. signals to passing vessels. Please, someone write a script that will turn the light on instead of having to go through all the buttons to turn on the video camera just to use the light. It's there, it's bright, it's great. Lets get it to work!
    the good outweighs the bad with this phone

i recived my 8350i on christmas eve,
    my biggest issue so far is the poor quality of video playback.
    its impossible to watch youtube from this device, even videos shot from the 8350i have poor playback. Blackberry should be ashamed of themselvs.

1)telenav is VERY SLOW i cant stand it.

2)camera is awesome!

3)havnt even used wifi yet, nextels network is working just fine for me so far

4)MMS SMS works great, sends and recives text/picture/video with no problem

5)battery life is great

6)my phone came with 13 wallpapers

7)icons are clear and simple, much diffrent from the 8330 series.
    only an ***** would have troubble with them .

8)8350i will not light up a room. but serves its purpose as a successful iden blackberry

lol @ this site 4 blanking out the word "I.D.I.O.T.".....wow
    12-29-08 11:26 PM
    I will say the GPS stinks. I can't get a signal on or off Wifi. There's gotta be a solution. As for everthing else, works like a charm!!!
    01-02-09 11:00 PM
    no isssues with gps . telenav works great in a pinch but got a Garmin for Christmas.
    good battery
    video is fine
    pics are great for a phone
    love the size and feel of the device

I just need to keep it from rebooting and finding it dead all the time !!!!
    01-02-09 11:05 PM
    I havent had all of the problems here but something different.. maybe im not doing something right but when i install apps, suchs as myspace, facebook, opera, google maps etc.. I dont get any icon for the apps (no they arent hidden) or any other way to run them. they are under the installed apps and persmission have been set, but I got nothing. Any ideas or similar?
    01-03-09 01:22 PM
    I think we need to start checking with vendors on what will run on 4.6 before just loading the apps. Just got a reply from vib and ring . They are not compatible with 4.6os.. this might be the cause of my issues.
    01-03-09 02:44 PM
    I think we need to start checking with vendors on what will run on 4.6 before just loading the apps. Just got a reply from vib and ring . They are not compatible with 4.6os.. this might be the cause of my issues.
    well by any chance are you or anyone else having the problem I am?
    01-03-09 03:30 PM
    well by any chance are you or anyone else having the problem I am?
    I haven't heard of any issues like this but then again, only two other people have reported dead phones that lock up like mine. I have removed all software and loading it one by one and it seems to be working, no resets today all day.

How do I turn off read receipts? I keep getting them in my inbox on my computer now.
    Last edited by tritan; 01-03-09 at 04:40 PM.
    01-03-09 04:36 PM
    Do you have the downloads folder? Thats the default save location.
    01-03-09 05:10 PM
    in reference to the DC speaker/volume etc issue,
    when in DC, push ALT and $ and it will switch to handset, you might get a popup about inserting symbol blah blah, but ignore it with the back button, to go back to speakerphone, hit ALT and $ again.

as for volume, while engaged in a DC call, push the volume up key on the right hand side all the way up (or down) to control the volume.
    as for the downloaded apps, they are in the dowloaded folder and if you want to move the icon from there, hit menu- move to folder- home
    and it will bring it to you home menu and out of the DL folder.

HTH

Melis
    01-09-09 05:25 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD