I recently finished a shift at work with my curve in my back pocket and when I took it out, the keys did not work. None of them do anything when pressed. I do not and cannot sit down at work so the buttons were never crushed at all.

I went out to my car (2008 A4) and when I got it I plugged it in to find the screen light up and show that my phone was still active. Since my Audi has a built in BT speakerphone system I turned it on and the phone connected. I then used my steering wheel controls to go into my phone book and the phone made almost half a dozen calls with no problem. When I'm not in the car I can see incoming calls I just cant answer them because the keys won't work.

I took the phone to Sprint and they said there may have been liquid around the keyboard, which doesn't seem almost impossbile since I had the phone in my back pocket. So they won't repair the phone even when I said I would pay for it. In any event, is there a keyboard PCB for the curve that I can replace or is all the communication controled by the main PCB?

Any thoughts?
    08-27-09 02:22 PM
    It wouldn't be the keyboard that is messed up, it would be the mother board that the keyboard lays on. I don't know the fix for that...but you could try putting your bb in a back of rice without the battery case on or the battery in the back. The rice should take out any moisture that is still left in the phone. I don't know if it will work though, seems like your phone might be fried.
    08-27-09 02:47 PM
    08-27-09 02:56 PM
    Just because the keyboard went out doesn't ALWAYS mean there is liquid damage. Liquid to the board in that area does cause the keyboard to go out but not always. I have seen many that happen without any liquid damage. If you have TEP you have two options. Since you went to your local store, and ONLY because you went already, do I suggest maybe calling customer care and seeing what they say. They should be sending you to your local repair store but you never know. If you did get it wet and have TEP you can always do an insurance claim but before you did that I would suggest at the least going back to the store and asking for someone else to take a look at it and show you where there was liquid damage.
    08-27-09 03:02 PM
    The keyboard cant be replaced but there is a plastic sticker which covers what i call dimples that depress. You can peel that sticker back and clean under the dimples with some denatured alcohol and it will more than likely work. Only do this if you feel comfortable.
    08-27-09 09:05 PM
    Before you get the wrong info, the key tray can be replaced, here's a link to find them if needed.

BlackBerry Curve 8330 OEM keyboard tray w/ trackball - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 10:04 PM
    If the key tray is that black piece then that wont help it doesn't include the Dimple pieces that depress. Those are separate from that piece not all one. Its a sticker that is adhered below that the houses the action of pressing.
    08-27-09 10:23 PM
    Isn't there a sensor thingy in the BB somewhere that changes colour when it gets wet? Most cell phones have them.
    08-27-09 10:30 PM
    There are a few Your batt, In the battery bay at the top a little white one. If you take out the trackball there is one right above the opening that you can kinda see without taking it apart. And there is one in on the inside of the back housing of the phone if you take it all apart
    08-27-09 10:39 PM
    There are a few Your batt, In the battery bay at the top a little white one. If you take out the trackball there is one right above the opening that you can kinda see without taking it apart. And there is one in on the inside of the back housing of the phone if you take it all apart
    Ya I thought so, so if at the store they claim it got wet they should have to open it up to prove it.
    08-27-09 11:42 PM
    I would ask them to prove it. Sprint to the last time i remember goes by corrosion not the indicators.
    08-27-09 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD