I've been at this site a bit lurking around, but I am in need of help.

Today after playing golf my blackberry was black. I cannot get the screen to appear with any buttons. I have rebooted and unplugged the battery a number of times. It loads up with the white hourglass screen, then my theme, but every time it gets to "verifying security" it immediately goes black, and I can't do anything. The LED light is still flashing.

I've searched a bit for ideas to fix this but I'm not greatest w/ blackberry. Sorry if this is a double post. Any ideas? Thanks a ton in advance. You all are great
    05-15-09 12:00 AM
    Do you have the Desktop Manager software installed on your pc? If so plug in your berry and see if DM recognizes your device. If not then is your battery okay? If that is good it might be nuked. If that's the case follow the link in my signature on how to recover a dead blackberry.
    05-15-09 12:03 AM
    Thanks for the fast response,
    Desktop Manager is installed. It did recognize my blackberry. My battery has never had any problems . Do you think I should check this out? I did enable the password function on my phone just a few days ago.
    05-15-09 12:14 AM
    If you haven't done any recent backups, now is the time to try to back everything up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 12:17 AM
    Okay have you tried to boot it since you plugged it into the pc? Enabling the password options should not have made it do what your saying. I would double check your battery first...
    05-15-09 12:18 AM
    If you do have a recent backup, you can try doing a Restore to see if it brings your BB back to a state that will allow it to reboot completely.

Otherwise, you will most likely have to reload the OS.

05-15-09 12:20 AM
    Roger that...

I backed everything up.

Same exact thing happens when I booted it plugged into the computer. I will have to check on my battery tomorrow.

I borrowed my friends phone, and I called mine. The funny thing is my phone will still pop up and ring, the screen will even tell me who is calling, but I cannot answer...
    05-15-09 12:21 AM
    rider makes a good point about the backup. If DM recognizes it you can attempt a restore like he said. If that fails well I don't have to repeat him. It is not difficult to reload OS and we can help you with that too...
    05-15-09 12:24 AM
    Did you make any recent backups or upgraded the OS lately?

If you have, we can try to restore your BB with a backup file on your PC.

05-15-09 12:25 AM
    I didnt upgrade or do any backups prior to when the screen first blanked out.

I did a back up after I learned of the problem. I know ****-poor planning...
    05-15-09 12:27 AM
    Ok then. Do you want to reload the latest official OS from Vzw, or do you want something better?

05-15-09 12:29 AM
    you tell me .... it says genius under your name, and newbie under mine...
    05-15-09 12:33 AM
    Alrighty then, download and install the software for the 8330 here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E

After you download the file, double-click on it and it will load the OS to your PC.

Then follow the instructions for upgrade/downgrade procedure in my sig to load the OS on your BB. Follow the Advanced procedure, starting from step #5 and disregard everything after step #6. Post back here for further instructions.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-15-09 at 12:42 AM.
    05-15-09 12:37 AM
    did you mean to send me to the sprint downloads? i can only assume lol
    05-15-09 12:41 AM
    Yes, Sprint OS 4.5.0.131 is what we want.

05-15-09 12:43 AM
    When you get to the download screen look at the Application version, not the Package version.

05-15-09 12:44 AM
    Let us know how it is going...
    05-15-09 01:24 AM
    Hmmm, it's been a long time. The download couldn't have taken that long.

Anyway, after you delete the vendor file in C:\Programs\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader, make sure your Desktop Manager is closed and your BB is connected to your PC, then double click on the loader(.exe) file. This will start your OS installation.

Once the OS starts loading, don't unplug from the PC even if it looks like it is stuck or isn't making any progress. Leave it to do it's thing until you get a message that everything is completed, or you get an error message.

It usually takes about 45 minutes, but can take up to an hour.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-15-09 at 02:22 AM.
    05-15-09 02:09 AM
    When the OS has been loaded successfully, do the following to restore your contacts and messages to your BB:

Connect your BB to the PC and open DM. Open the Backup/Restore App. Click on Advanced. At the top left of the window click on the File link and navigate to where the backup file you made prior to the OS install is. It is usually in the My Documents folder. It will have a date.ipd format. Select this file, then click Open. The left side of the window will populate with databases that can be restored to your BB on the right side pane. Click on the Address Book database on the left side and click on the >> button in between the two panes to load the Address Book to your BB. Look over the databases in the left side pane to see what else you might need (messages, SMS, phone) I can't recall exactly what is available, I'm not at my computer right now. The idea is to do a selective minimum restore to your BB to get your contacts and messages on your BB but not the cr@p that caused it to have a problem.

Good luck, and please post back to let us know how it turns out.

05-15-09 02:32 AM
    hey sorry about the long response, fell asleep at my desk while it was downloading, just started reading again...ill keep you informed
    thanks again!
    05-15-09 07:42 PM
    Okay,the OS is installed on my PC. But when I went to go delete the vendor.xml file i could not find my APPLOADER folder? I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit ... any help? Thanks
    05-17-09 12:30 AM
    It sounds like the keypad is shot on your phone, and the backlight just times out. See if its still under warranty, Sprint should repace it.
    05-17-09 12:33 AM
    It sounds like the keypad is shot on your phone, and the backlight just times out. See if its still under warranty, Sprint should repace it.
    Thats what I thought too. It isnt under warranty by Verizon. Any idea where i could purchase one?
    05-17-09 12:37 AM
    Okay,the OS is installed on my PC. But when I went to go delete the vendor.xml file i could not find my APPLOADER folder? I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit ... any help? Thanks
    For Vista 64 bit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader

Delete the vendor(.xml) file, then double click on loader(.exe), ther may or may not be the .xml and .exe file extensions on your file names depending on how you have your PC set-up to display files.
    05-17-09 06:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD