8310 - I have had this problem with several of the blackberries within our company - the blackberry is set to keep mail forever but just decides to start deleting all mail previous to today - anyone else had this issue - comes up with a memory problem but there isn't loads of data on the device
    07-14-08 02:35 AM
    Low memory........start with a battery pull and make sure you are exiting your apps correctly.........
    07-14-08 02:36 AM
    Low memory........start with a battery pull and make sure you are exiting your apps correctly.........

This has happened to several blackberries within my company - I have bever had it with any of the other models - they have no more data than anyone else stored on them - taking battery out everytime it somes up with memory issue does not seem right somehow - is the memory smaller on the 8310 than say the 8800 or 8700 ? thanks
    07-14-08 02:41 AM
    This has happened to several blackberries within my company - I have bever had it with any of the other models - they have no more data than anyone else stored on them - taking battery out everytime it somes up with memory issue does not seem right somehow - is the memory smaller on the 8310 than say the 8800 or 8700 ? thanks
    I believe the CDMA phones have more bytes than the non CDMA phones......make sure they are NOT using the red button to exit apps........do they have widgets like weatherbug running all the time? No memory issues on my 8310 - so far......
    07-14-08 02:44 AM
    If the memory free is very close to 10MB or less the BB OS is designed to delete email, txt msgs, call logs, etc to make free space. If this is the case on the BBs that mail is getting deleted then you should follow the guide to freeing up memory to get closer to 20+MB of free space. It also doesn't hurt to reboot BBs about once a week to free up memory used up by temporary storage. I do that on my phone and find about 10MB free up each time.

If low memory is not the case then you may be experiencing the bug I discovered. Keep messages forever setting appears to not keep messages forever as it is supposed to. In my case it acted like keep 30 days. In another case it was randomly deleting messages. Changing the setting to 6 months will keep it from deleing stuff newer than f months. However if you wish to retain older than 6 months I would suggest transfering the old emails to a pc email program for archiving.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 04:45 AM
    It also doesn't hurt to reboot BBs about once a week to free up memory used up by temporary storage.
    I reboot at least once a day.
    07-14-08 05:05 AM
    The BlackBerry, like every other storage device has a finite amount of memory. If you keep your emails forever then you are trying to put a potentially infinite quantity of data into a finite data storage device. It MUST fill it up eventually. It is like leaving a dripping faucet over a drinking glass for ever.

This is a stupid policy.

The phone needs a certain amount of free memory to run. If it does not find it, it starts deleting non-essential (to it) stuff in memory. It knows (has been programmed by RIM) that if it is on BES then the emails can be recovered by Reconcile Now. If you are not on BES then this will not work.

You need therefore to immediately reset all your phones to the RIM OS default (they do know what they are doing) for all message storage.

This will solve your problem.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-14-08 at 05:41 AM.
    07-14-08 05:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD