i've scoured the forums looking for answers to my memory problem, so i'll get right to the nitty gritty of the info that i see ends up being asked:

i have a curve (8320) and am using v4.5.0.81

i had a leak (down to 0 mb free less than an hour after restart) and started deleting programs to find the culprit. i'm still not sure which one it was since i deleted a few at the same time on the last round. bottom line, i was left with two games (from tmobile), quicklaunch, berry buzz and bb app world. the leak stopped, but the file free was still low (5 mb) on restart. i removed bb app world and it jumped to just under 10. better, but still not good enough. since i downloaded a few programs from there and wanted to reinstall them one at a time, i reinstalled bb app world and it immediately dropped to 5. i reinstalled quick pull and flycast and after restart, i'm at 7 and hovering.

i am (obviously) going to uninstall app world again now that i have my apps reinstalled. but i am still stumped. can one of you more experienced users help me out?
    11-20-09 06:49 PM
    If you haven't already done it, Reed McLay's Memory Optimization Procedure will help you a lot.
    How to Increase BlackBerry's File Free Memory

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 06:59 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I did read the guide and have done some of the things suggested. I have a 4G memory card for photos, ring tones, etc.

I am so frustrated that I am considering doing a wipe and reinstall OS.

11-20-09 08:13 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I did read the guide and have done some of the things suggested. I have a 4G memory card for photos, ring tones, etc.

I am so frustrated that I am considering doing a wipe and reinstall OS.

If you are going to do that, do it before you spend any more time with Reed's procedure, since the reinstall will put stuff back and you'll just have to remove it again. Using CrackMem is a good way to automate many of the steps in Reed's procedure. Using it in conjunction with a wipe and reload will work well.

11-20-09 08:18 PM
    How many themes have you downloaded and stored on your phone?

11-20-09 08:57 PM
    No themes at all, actually. I am using the one the phone came with

11-20-09 11:12 PM
    You mentioned Curve 8320, but your profile indicates you are using an 8330 with Metro PCS. It really doesnt make much difference.

If you are using an 8320 with v4.5xx software, you can expect a 20+ Mb on restart, (8330: 40+ Mb) with the core OS installed. 20 Mb is plenty of memory for most users, but you do have to be careful about over committing the space.

I would suggest Backing up your data, then do a fresh OS install. Check your available memory after starting up. If you have 15-20 Mb, you are in good shape.
    11-21-09 10:10 AM
    Looks like I forgot to update my profile. I do have an 8320 now as I switched to tmobile.

I have deleted all apps except for two (quicklaunch and berry buzz), deleted all my old emails and still am only at 12 on restart. I do notice the difference (much faster) but I'm down to only those two apps. That doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't I have more than that? Shouldn't I be able to have a few apps and be at least at 15?

11-21-09 11:19 AM
    Well, I uninstalled the last two apps and only gained less than 1 mb. I backed up all my data and am getting ready to wipe now. Btw, does anyone know how to prevent old calendar entries from being deleted? When I did the last sync, it said it was going to delete 14 entries. If it is on the bb only that is ok but I want to keep them in outlook.

11-21-09 03:52 PM
    Thought I'd post an update and see if anyone can help me. I did a wipe and reinstalled the OS abd I only got as high as 22 mb available with NO apps installed. My stepson has the same phone with about 6 apps installed and has 39 mb avail. Is my BB just defective?

11-24-09 08:24 PM
    Thought I'd post an update and see if anyone can help me. I did a wipe and reinstalled the OS abd I only got as high as 22 mb available with NO apps installed. My stepson has the same phone with about 6 apps installed and has 39 mb avail. Is my BB just defective?

There's something wrong. An 8330 is a 96 MB device. With the OS freshly loaded, and the superfluous junk removed with CrackMem, you should easily have around 50MB File Free. Are you and your stepson running the same OS version with the same carrier?
    11-24-09 09:15 PM
    Actually, I hadn't updated my profile until a bit ago. I actually have the 8320 now (switched from Metro PCS (8330) to T Mobile (8320)).

Yes, we are both running the same OS version with the same carrier.
    11-24-09 09:57 PM
    Your 22MB is a little lower than I would expect, but I haven't owned an 8320. Your stepson's 39MB File Free is almost unbelievably high for an 8320. Are you sure you are reading his file free correctly? Something still doesn't make sense about your numbers.
    11-24-09 10:03 PM
    oh yeah, you are right. i must have been sleepy when i read it last night. i just checked again and he has 4 mb. however, i just had to do a battery pull cuz my phone froze and my file free is 20082228. still, t-mobile keeps telling me i should have much more free memory.

i tried to reinstall the OS last night and the desktop manager said it completed successfully, but when i finished it had all my call logs and sms still there. how is that?
    11-24-09 10:59 PM
    oh yeah, you are right. i must have been sleepy when i read it last night. i just checked again and he has 4 mb. however, i just had to do a battery pull cuz my phone froze and my file free is 20082228. still, t-mobile keeps telling me i should have much more free memory.

i tried to reinstall the OS last night and the desktop manager said it completed successfully, but when i finished it had all my call logs and sms still there. how is that?
    Thanks for clearing that up. It's easy to misread File Free since the number isn't formatted.

Your 20082228 MB is ample free memory. However, if that's what you are reading after a battery pull, it isn't telling you how low you were when you crashed. A rogue app or theme could have pulled your memory low, causing the lockup. Rebooting clears the lockup and destroys the evidence at the same time.

Reinstalling the OS normally involves restoring your personal data automatically. I would expect your personal data to be there after the restore. Those files are typically very small though, and don't account for much memory. Options / Status / Menu / Database Sizes will show you all the sizes. My address book, for example, has 1017 entries and only occupies 237k. That's in the noise level as far as memory management is concerned.
    11-25-09 09:27 AM
    Thanks for the info! I have actually started reinstalling a few apps and so far so good. Maybe the wipe and reinstall did the trick after all! I am still keeping my fingers crossed :-)

11-25-09 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD