At the risk of being vilified for utter stupidity, what does EDGE mean? The last time EDGE was showing on my screen, (about 6 months ago) some people were unable to call me because my phone simply didn't ring when they called. (My signal strength is almost non-existent right now too - are these two things connected?) I think it usually says 3G in the top right corner....

I was fiddling with my phone yesterday and I am wondering if I have messed something up.

Any help most gratefully received (in plain non-technical English please).
    06-19-13 02:02 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Here is your answer: What is EDGE? Definition of EDGE: Cell Phone Glossary

And remeber, Google is your friend (well, most of the times at least).
    06-19-13 02:06 PM
    Thanks diegonei, (and I did look up EDGE on Google before posting by the way), but it doesn't help answer my query unfortunately.

My phone is now jumping between EDGE, edge, GSM and 3G (every few minutes). Currently I have no signal bars. That can't be normal surely? I am in the UK - I don't know if that makes any difference?

It is really important that I can receive calls as I am unemployed and need to be able to take calls from recruitment agencies.
    06-19-13 02:19 PM
    Click on the top bar where the date is. Scroll down to networks and connections, then mobile networks and in there change it to 2g. The 2g will pick up a better signal if you are in a weak area, and the upside is it will use less battery cos it won't be constantly hunting for 3G.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:42 PM
    Hi af1777, I did as you suggested (and thanks very much for the simple-to-follow instructions). My phone is still showing EDGE. Texts are working and my brother has been able to call, so I can only hope recruiters can too. (though not tonight of course). I don't usually have problems with the signal in my area so maybe it is atmospheric conditions? Anyway, thanks again for your help.
    06-19-13 03:01 PM
    You're welcome. I keep my Curve on 2g all the time, even in a good signal area. Save downloading for home connected to your wifi.

And good luck with the job hunting

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 03:12 PM
    I never actually download anything on my phone (but I must admit the battery does run out pretty quickly considering I only use it for texts, photographs and phone calls).

Tonight, my email is not working properly either - maybe a good thunderstorm will clear the air!

Thanks for the good wishes.
    06-19-13 03:27 PM
    Email....go into your icons to set up....thats the one that looks like a sim card with a star on it. Click on email and highlight the email account. Press menu the resend service books.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 03:40 PM
    Apologies af177 - I meant my email via my laptop. (I think Yahoo may be having a bad day.) I do have email set up on my BB though - I don't suppose it would be possible to use my BB email address via my laptop keyboard? That would be incredibly useful!

Never mind! I connected my BB with my laptop (the same way I do when I want to transfer photographs). There isn't an option for using your BB via your laptop keyboard as far as I can see. (Though there really ought to be.)

Anyway as you can see, I am somewhat challenged with technology. My avatar should be a very cute cat. (And yours is very cute indeed!) Some help in getting mine to the right size would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 06-19-13 at 04:44 PM.
    06-19-13 03:59 PM
    I had that done for me cos although I muddle along with BlackBerry devices I am a constant source of annoyance to my PC which loses the will to live each time I sit in front of it.....hence kindly friends alter avatar pics for me

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 04:48 PM
    You just made my day! I shall approach my "friendly computer person" tomorrow. (You have become my "friendly BB person" by the way.)
    06-19-13 04:57 PM
    Hope you have good luck with both your job search and your avatar altering person

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    06-19-13 05:32 PM
    Looking for a job has become my "job". (I may sound quite dim, but actually I am quite intelligent!) Anyway, thank you for being a very human and reasonable person af1777. (Forum people can be quite unpleasant). Hopefully I will have a cute cat avatar tomorrow. Right now, time for bed! So I will wish you a good night.
    diegonei likes this.
    06-19-13 06:08 PM