So my dad JUST advised me he got a 9360 (no data plan) (also do not mention anything about a data plan.. its not what im interested in, and he doesnt need one, anyway). Is there anything at all I should know about this device? Its too short notice to do some real searching on here and google and whatnot, and this being his first smartphone (got it as a free upgrade from Rogers), first blackberry, I wanna be ready to assist him. He always talks about apple and android as his next phone but he couldnt get those for free (only the xperia mini pro running android 2.3, but surprisingly he chose blackberry) and i guess this is an opportunity for him to see what BB is all about. I have a 9700 and my brother has an android so he's seen both sides of the table.

Im sorry if this post is a tad all over the place, but he will be home in just a couple of hours, thanks!
    02-16-12 02:42 PM
    with no BIS data plan the Blackberry is useless... Also the 9360 has pretty low battery life if you leave it on 3G all the time...
    02-16-12 02:46 PM
    I asked nothing abotu data plan.. my 9700 has no data plan and i am very satisfied with it. We dont NEED data plan, wifi is good enough. jesus i even said dont mention data plan.
    02-16-12 02:50 PM
    the reason everyone will probably mentioned data is because of bbm, now if this isnt a huge feature for your dad or yourself i wouldnt stress it. i dont even know about using one on just wifi..can you browse and get your emails over wifi on ur 9700?
    if u can...what do you really need to show ur dad...the crackberry will explain its self
    Last edited by erodenero; 02-16-12 at 03:27 PM.
    02-16-12 03:24 PM
    He won't be able to use WiFi on the new device without a data plan.

But he can enjoy voice service and SMS (if he has that). He can use the standard PDA applications such as the calendar and contacts.

But no Facebook, no Twitter, no email, no BBM, no IM applications, no Google applications, no BlackBerry Browser.
    02-16-12 04:32 PM
    Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't be able to impress your Dad WITHOUT a Data Plan. I agree, you could just use Wi-Fi, but that's ONLY ONCE you've paid for your BB Services, meaning, once it's been activated and the "gprs/3g" turns into "GPRS/3G" (caps lock), use it for one month, don't pay the next, your carrier won't provide you with any data which is where you then turn on the Wi-Fi and carry on using it. Atleast, that's how it worked for me.
    02-16-12 04:53 PM
    I don't have a data plan and all I can't do is bbm and have the native email, but I use logicmail (imap) to pull emails to me and it works ok for me. I also use facebook, twitter all that goodness, browse, whatever. There aren't THAT many limitations. So anyway, thank you all for your very helpful replies . It really bugs me to know that I asked not to go into that area. He was previously on a pay as you go he will be FINE. I just wanted to know any faults related to this device, any kind of heads up I should know about. People that say I can't use wifi without a data plan and therefore not even use any apps like fb or twitter are just very misinformed. In case you were wondering, I am able to download apps off AppWorld as well.. And yes, they work on wifi. I'm also able to use my blackberry browser
    02-16-12 05:10 PM
    Well, good luck since you seem to have all the answers.
    02-16-12 08:13 PM
    Yeah thanks for all your help
    02-16-12 08:27 PM
    What phone did your father have previous to the 9360? If he does a lot of actual calling I'm sure he will learn to hate this phone. Phone calls kill the already small battery life of this phone. If he makes a lot of calls during the day (especially if they're lengthy) he's looking at multiple battery charges throughout the day. I can't speak for your father, but I know mine would not have the patience for that.

EDIT---

Also wanted to add (and I know you'll go all don't mention data crazy on me) that when I did not have BIS I could not access AppWorld on the 9360. I'm not sure if that's an OS7 thing but it did not work on my 9360.
    Last edited by TheRealFixxxer; 02-17-12 at 12:11 AM.
    02-17-12 12:07 AM
    Ok thanks for the heads up, but as I said, hes upgrading from a pay as you go plan, he really only calls me, my mom, my brother, really basic stuff. He had a feature samsung phone before now. Really basic stuff. Ill see with the AppWorld. It works for me, and Ill fiddle around with his and see what works and what doesnt.
    02-17-12 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD