Do frequent battery charges damage and decrease battery life on blackberry curve 9360
    12-19-12 03:54 PM
    yes it dies decrease the battery life.
    12-20-12 09:59 PM
    I've heard opinions both ways, but what convinced me is that "newer battery technologies like Li-ion do not have the memory effect as old batteries did in the pass. On those batteries, life is determined in the cycles used. So, in these cases, recharging before the battery is completely gone will give you better life since the full cycle (from 100% to 0%) has not been done".

Unfortunely i don't remember the source were i read that.

JP
    Last edited by jpaulo604; 12-21-12 at 08:21 PM.
    12-21-12 11:07 AM
    Sources on this:
    Apple - Batteries
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._battery_table

JP
    Last edited by jpaulo604; 12-21-12 at 11:40 AM.
    12-21-12 11:25 AM
    That link was quiet helpful even though i dont have a ipad and i have noticed that a bit i dont let my battery drain completly anymore
    12-21-12 05:33 PM
    i let my 9930 run down to radio off then charge it back up. my battery has been great but these new batteries are still only good for 400-500 cycles before the li-ion begins to wear from heating and the movement of power. having worked in a cellphone store for 6 years (2005-2011) i had a lot of experience with different charging styles and i had the most success with charging it overnight (plugged in for about 6-8 hours depending on how late i get to sleep in) and by the end of my work day (6pm) im down to 40% give or take. then by the time im gettin into bed its below 10%.

blackberrys have been the only phones to support my usage. and now as an IT admin my office is mobile and my phone is my only line. the battery makes it all day and some of my colleges on google/apple seem to need a recharge around lunch, although they have improved a lot in the past 6 months.

i also have a 64gb playbook bridged 24/7 and wifi on all day and my battery still makes it at least 24hours under my work load
    12-21-12 05:41 PM
    I charge my bb overnight aswell and which os is your 9930 running
    12-21-12 09:29 PM
    I've heard opinions both ways, but what convinced me is that "newer battery technologies like Li-ion do not have the memory effect as old batteries did in the pass. On those batteries, life is determined in the cycles used. So, in these cases, recharging before the battery is completely gone will give you better life since the full cycle (from 100% to 0%) has not been done".

Unfortunely i don't remember the source were i read that.

JP
    Yes it is true ! Our BlackBerry Battery are Litium ion batteries which attain 100% within 3 to 4 hrs and after that it stops.As far as I know we should not let our battery go below 10% it damages the Battery ,if possible we should charge before that .
    12-22-12 08:55 AM
    Thanks for the infomation probaly need a new battery because ive drained it to red to much
    12-22-12 04:24 PM
    On a properly designed system with Lithium chemistry batteries, it should not matter. You get X% of discharge/charge cycles so you can do 100 x 1% for example or 1 x 100% and it is the same. Unlike the older NiCd batteries, Lithiums do not really have memory problem so there is no point in completely discharging it, you're not going to "fix" anything.
    There are a couple of caveats, as I said "properly designed":
    1) If you let a Lithium battery drain dry, you will kill it. The charging/battery systems are not supposed to let this happen. i.e. it should report 0% and shut off the system before this happens even though technically the battery may have, for example, 20% of charge left.
    2) If the charge algorithms are bad (some older Macbooks actually seem to have this issue before some software or firmware got fixed), then it is easy to kill the battery while it is plugged in. What happens is the battery charges to 100%, stops, then it drains to 99% (for example), and it promptly tops this up, and this unnecessary repeated charging uses up the finite number of charge/discharge cycles that you have. A better way would be to top it up, then stop the charge and try to quit running the battery.

I don't know how the 9360 is designed, so I couldn't say for sure on this specific device but I imagine RIM don't have idiots on board, they've done this enough.
    12-24-12 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the long infomation, fully discharging is bad for my 9360 thanks
    12-27-12 02:14 PM