I have noticed that the newly proposed Blackberry Curve Sedona/Apollo is much thinner than the current Curves (and other phones even). I know it LOOKS good, the question is, will this be something that feels good? There have been many posts in the past about phone weight and that after a phone achieves a certain lightweight-ness the perception is that it may just "feel" cheap or unsubstantial. I have seen this posted about Curve 8520/8530. And most of us have seen the debate over the 9000's size vs the smaller 9700/9780 format.

Could a phone be too thin for it's own good? Just curious.

Last edited by mojosingle; 01-22-11 at 02:40 PM.
    01-22-11 02:37 PM
    i phone can be too thin, but we are nowhere close to reaching that point. maybe in 2-3 years

as long as the device feels solid it wont feel cheap
    01-22-11 02:58 PM
    It may be thin but, it looks good to me. It's definitely on my "I want to purchase" list.
    01-22-11 03:12 PM
    It may be thin but, it looks good to me. It's definitely on my "I want to purchase" list.
    I wanna get it too. I have started saving money for it. I just hope it doesn't have that cheap feel to it like 9300 or 8500 did.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 04:44 PM
    Yep, it looks sexy. Definitely will be my next BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 03:26 PM
    <pictures truncated>

I have noticed that the newly proposed Blackberry Curve Sedona/Apollo is much thinner than the current Curves (and other phones even). I know it LOOKS good, the question is, will this be something that feels good? There have been many posts in the past about phone weight and that after a phone achieves a certain lightweight-ness the perception is that it may just "feel" cheap or unsubstantial. I have seen this posted about Curve 8520/8530. And most of us have seen the debate over the 9000's size vs the smaller 9700/9780 format.

Could a phone be too thin for it's own good? Just curious.
    I wouldn't say a phone can be too thin.

As for the part I bolded, I have an 8520, so I can speak from experience. It's not because of how thin the phone is that perceives it as being cheap, it's how they've built it. Basically, they found the cheapest keyboard they could (not caring about build quality), took away the camera flash from the 8900, downgraded the camera from 3.2MPixels to 2.0MPixels, took away GPS (8900 didn't have 3G), downgraded the screen. They took away the trackball in favour of the trackpad, but I hear a lot of stories of people who prefer the trackball to the trackpad. Then they had the cheek to sell it at the SAME PRICE as the 8900! (when I bought my 8520 9 months ago, both phones were �230 as far as I know)

For me, the only thing they did right was change trackball to trackpad, but the list of other things they did wrong, is why it feels cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid phone, but it just feels very cheap.
    01-24-11 12:50 AM
    That looks pretty nice. Too thin? As long as its solid, no.
    01-24-11 03:01 PM
    I consider the 9700 to be the "ideal" thickness. But then I put a good polyurethane protective case on it, and it becomes to thick for my liking.

Sedona might be a bit thinner than ideal, but with a case, I think it'll be perfect!
    01-25-11 09:20 PM
    I think it will look great. It might be enough to have me come back to BlackBerry. I loved the build of the 8900, so I'm interested in an upgraded Curve.
    01-26-11 04:46 PM
    Glad to see this. I've been very disappointed with some of BBs competitors putting out heavy/bulky phones. Sure specs are nice but when it feels like a car battery the all bets are off.
    01-27-11 07:26 PM
    One obvious point about thinness is that it is easy enough to get a bulkier extended battery if you really need one, but no proper way to cut it down if the ship with a bulky one in the first place.
    01-29-11 05:25 AM
    I don’t know how many of you have used Nokia E71. It’s a very solidly built phone with all steel (very little plastic). It’s thickness is 10mm which is I guess the same of this phone. I have used it for a while and trust me it doesn’t feel good to hold such a thin phone. Different people may have different preferences but that’s what I feel. Thickness of 9700/9780 is ideal which is 13 mm, if I am not wrong.

And by the way, the back cover is too glossy!!
    03-09-11 05:03 AM
    I wouldn't say a phone can be too thin.

As for the part I bolded, I have an 8520, so I can speak from experience. It's not because of how thin the phone is that perceives it as being cheap, it's how they've built it. Basically, they found the cheapest keyboard they could (not caring about build quality), took away the camera flash from the 8900, downgraded the camera from 3.2MPixels to 2.0MPixels, took away GPS (8900 didn't have 3G), downgraded the screen. They took away the trackball in favour of the trackpad, but I hear a lot of stories of people who prefer the trackball to the trackpad. Then they had the cheek to sell it at the SAME PRICE as the 8900! (when I bought my 8520 9 months ago, both phones were �230 as far as I know)

For me, the only thing they did right was change trackball to trackpad, but the list of other things they did wrong, is why it feels cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid phone, but it just feels very cheap.
    all of above is completely true i agree my kids have them as do most of their chums !!
    good luck with youre torch you should love it
    03-09-11 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD