Okay, so on a full battery, my phone seems to have only lasted 7 hours in standby (curve 9360). Which is pretty unacceptable. I have the wifi, nfc, turned off (data is also off). I might try turning the gps off as well (done). I cant switch to 2g, my provider only offers 3g. Unless I switch to one with both....

Considering I never used the phone at all - would having 2g even make that much difference? (I could in theory buy a new sim, im not on a plan)

Could the battery itself be bung? I figure with light/no use it should last much longer even a puny 1000 mah. Ive heard people get one and half days, or at least a whole day, including use, so I am stratching my head on this.

I should also mention, I have the latest OS. I did not use the phone _at all_, this was just to test its battery life.

Second time fully charged. Does it just need more "breaking in charges"?

How do I get it to last a full day in standby?

What is going on here?
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-16-14 at 08:34 AM.
    05-16-14 07:49 AM
    Hi. The battery life has been a longstanding issue for many with BlackBerries. I located a thread that has a few suggestions that may help you - including the obvious like updating the OS software or getting an additional charger/battery, and possible optimization(that you've done already). Also has a link in the thread reagrding batteries that should be helpful. Good Luck.
    Jamie Brahm likes this.
    05-16-14 08:18 AM
    I couldn't see the link in there. helpful thread all the same.

Ive installed "battery booster", uninstalled everything that might be draining, turned off gps, and browser push, and some other settings.

I am also going to try an overnight charge. I know with lithiums, you extend the charging capacity by leaving on the charger a long time the first few charges, and running it quite flat - so that might be part of the issue.

Hopefully I can get 12 hours standby from the sucker, because I don't thing 2g will make much difference from what ive read (only if your calling a lot, and the reverse is true with data use, and im more likely to use data tbh)

If that doesn't work, all thats left is hybrid os, or getting a non-oem battery from china - and I believe you need to do some weird coding/binding thing with that, and it sounds like it might be more trouble that its worth (although if I never need to reset, and it always lasts a day, and doesn't need additional hardware, i might think about that I guess).

I guess I could always also carry a lipstick sized portable charger too (you can get those in like 2000 mah or so for quite cheap), is another option, but that sounds kinda lame. All I want is 12 hours standby, that shouldn't be too much to ask..

I suppose hybrid might be the next thing to try. But will have to see how the changes ive made work so far first.

:/

Cheers for your reply
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-16-14 09:44 AM
    Another idea that occurs to be is underclocking the processor. For the most part, I am not using the BB for much that is complex. Id use my android tablet if it want to do more.

But I didn't find anything on a very quick so perhaps underclocking in BB 7.1 is not possible.
    05-16-14 09:57 AM
    I couldn't see the link in there. helpful thread all the same.

Ive installed "battery booster", uninstalled everything that might be draining, turned off gps, and browser push, and some other settings.

I am also going to try an overnight charge. I know with lithiums, you extend the charging capacity by leaving on the charger a long time the first few charges, and running it quite flat - so that might be part of the issue.

Hopefully I can get 12 hours standby from the sucker, because I don't thing 2g will make much difference from what ive read (only if your calling a lot, and the reverse is true with data use, and im more likely to use data tbh)

If that doesn't work, all thats left is hybrid os, or getting a non-oem battery from china - and I believe you need to do some weird coding/binding thing with that, and it sounds like it might be more trouble that its worth (although if I never need to reset, and it always lasts a day, and doesn't need additional hardware, i might think about that I guess).

I guess I could always also carry a lipstick sized portable charger too (you can get those in like 2000 mah or so for quite cheap), is another option, but that sounds kinda lame. All I want is 12 hours standby, that shouldn't be too much to ask..

I suppose hybrid might be the next thing to try. But will have to see how the changes ive made work so far first.

:/

Cheers for your reply
    No problem. Like I said, it's an issue for most BlackBerry owners at one time or another. I actually started getting extended batteries for my BlackBerries years ago and I stop counting at 8 personal and 5 for work. I would suggest two things that may or may not help- if you plan on keeping this specific BlackBerry. First, check out the most current hybrids for your device. Review the pros and cons along with "how to" directives prior to uploading and installing. If you're already up to speed on how to do it- go for it. If needed, google extended batteries for that specific model. I have never had a problem with extended batteries. Using one - now, on my Z10. Also, never, ever had a problem with using hybrids. I actually prefer them.
    05-16-14 10:23 PM
    That doesn't sound normal at all OP. I think you might have a bad battery or a software issue that's causing drain.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 10:53 PM
    That doesn't sound normal at all OP. I think you might have a bad battery or a software issue that's causing drain.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I actually had one for my 9000 and 9700. My bad, Op. I assumed that was already ruled out without asking. In that case, I would definitely update the OS.
    05-17-14 12:45 AM
    I probably will try the hybrid at one point. I am techy, so I think I can handle it.

I might try an extended battery one day too. Whats the deal with coding/pairing them or whatever?
    05-17-14 06:42 AM
    Update: Charging the phone _longer_ (for six hours), according the the battery booster app, increase the total millivolts stored in the battery. (my about 400 mv)

With lithiums, you are suppose to do two really big charges early on. So it may be simply that I charged the battery too lightly, and it might mostly resolve.

Will see, but this seems to be promising.
    05-17-14 06:44 AM
    Third day now on standby. Still over half battery. Have GPS and wi-fi running now too.

This was the issue. It needed that first, six hour charge. Ill probably do one more.

Having trouble getting the data to work with my current pre-pay. So might have to try other networks to get that working. Still, even without data, its an awesome phone.
    05-18-14 10:55 PM
    Well that was really weird how I got the data working. I put the card in another device, used the data, and put it back in the blackberry without changing any settings - and it worked.
    05-19-14 05:51 AM
    i have the same issue with my 9360. keep an eye on any battery changes with any apps you download. i downloaded a swipe to unlock app and it drained my battery even though it was on charge. downloads blackberry application resource monitor off blackberry world just type in 'blackberry application resource monitor' or 'blackberry products' in the search bar of bb world. it will close down any apps that are using too much battery life. i always carry spare battery with me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    05-27-14 08:29 AM
    Actually I fixed my issue. Just needed a longer charge (6 hours after "full" via usb). After I did that, it lasts me two days or so (but I only use it for texts, the odd call, mp3s mainly, odd gps maps)
    05-29-14 05:16 AM
    Actually I fixed my issue. Just needed a longer charge (6 hours after "full" via usb). After I did that, it lasts me two days or so (but I only use it for texts, the odd call, mp3s mainly, odd gps maps)
    Yes, you should charge several hours after the gauge first hits 100% to achieve a really full, quality charge. If you take it off the charger too early when it hits 100%, it will not really be at 100% full charge, and you'll notice it when it drops down quickly.

Additional info:

If you're in a weak signal area, it will kill your battery faster. That's normal. Your battery will last longer when signal is strong.
    Jamie Brahm likes this.
    05-29-14 06:32 AM
    Buy 2 or 3 spare OEM batteries and a charger crate. Problem solved.
    06-10-14 12:43 AM