hi guys a quick and simple question if my phone saves chat history on bbm and i delete the contact on my bbm, will that delete the chat history log on my phone to where-ever it is saved or can i still access it somewhere on my phone?

i deleted a contact but i needed some info from the chat so if it hasnt deleted it where on the phone will i find it?

cheers
    Last edited by ajbolton; 08-27-12 at 07:55 PM.
    08-22-12 05:25 PM
    Yes it stays. But you need to view it on your computer, they're csv files and for some reason don't like to be viewed on the phone (strange, I know).

Here's the path:

Device Or Media Card (wherever you store the history)> BlackBerry> im> BlackBerry Messenger> Your PIN will be a folder> History> Each contact has their own folder with their PIN (so you'll need to know or figure out the contact's PIN)
    08-22-12 08:48 PM
    Yes it stays. But you need to view it on your computer, they're csv files and for some reason don't like to be viewed on the phone (strange, I know).

Here's the path:

Device Or Media Card (wherever you store the history)> BlackBerry> im> BlackBerry Messenger> Your PIN will be a folder> History> Each contact has their own folder with their PIN (so you'll need to know or figure out the contact's PIN)
    thanks for that so because ive deleted the contact the chat history will just be the contacts PIN and not there name or anything?

BTW once ive viewed them i was going to wipe my phone if i do a security wipe will it delete these logs from the device?

Cheers
    Last edited by ajbolton; 08-23-12 at 06:13 AM.
    08-23-12 02:32 AM
    anyone?
    08-23-12 09:15 AM
    Please don't bump your own thread after only 7 hours in the middle off the night...

To answer your question though, it depends. Where are your logs stored? If on the device, then yes they will be. If on the Media Card, then that depends on if you choose to wipe the Media Card when you do the security wipe.
    08-23-12 04:11 PM
    sorry it was mid afternoon here wen i posted that (uk time) lol yeah they was on the device thanks for your help
    08-23-12 04:33 PM
    Hi another question

as i deleted all the contacts on my list and chose to ignore future invites you say the chats will still be stored but by there pin.

If i back up my device then do the wipe ect..when i restore it will it restore these old chat logs and if it does will it just be in the path you said (BlackBerry> im> BlackBerry Messenger> Your PIN will be a folder> History> ) or will the old chats show on my bbm even though i have deleted every contact?

hope you understand what im asking
    08-24-12 09:53 AM
    A tip for viewing your chat history (or any other CSV file) on your phone: I use FileScout Lite, which, amongst other things can view CSV files. Which is cool, because sometimes I don't feel like chatting to a BBM contact but want to see what they said without them knowing (seeing the "R"), which is essentially what apps like Peep It do!! :-D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    ajbolton likes this.
    08-24-12 11:35 AM
    ill look into that thanks!

does the bbm contact back up that i made on my memory card contain the chat history aswell or do i need to back up the chat history on the memory card ASWELL as contact backup?
    08-24-12 11:48 AM
    Contact backup and chat history are 2 different files. You can choose what you want to back up and to where you want it saved, just go to the options menu in BBM.

08-24-12 12:07 PM
    thanks Nicko ive only ever backed up my contacts to my memory card and have since wiped the device and upgraded the OS so that will of deleted the chat history wont it?
    08-24-12 12:32 PM
    Unless you specifically choose to wipe the memory card when you wipe the phone, everything will still be there, and if you do a back up before wiping and restore afterwards, most files will still be there on the device memory.

08-24-12 12:54 PM
    i didnt have the memory card in the phone when i wiped the device the only thing on my memory card was my contacts back up so i guess the chatr history was on the device so that will of been wiped in the upgrade becase i chose not to back up when i upgraded the OS as i wanted a clean install and didnt want to restore anything but my bbm contacts (which was on the external memory card)
    08-24-12 12:58 PM
    Ok, then your chat history will be lost. Your only other option if you're looking for a specific contact's chat history is to ask them if they've saved it on their side!
    As far as upgrades go, I think a "clean install" refers more to the device's system files (.cod files) than user created files (documents, back ups etc) At least, thats how I see it, I stand to be corrected...

08-24-12 01:16 PM
    well i basically wanted everything clearing on the phone i restored my contacts on bbm and deleted each of them and chose to "ignore future invites" as im getting a new device, then took out my memory card that had the back up saved on it and wiped the device with bbsak and installed 7.1 via desktop manager without it creating a back up so that should of done the trick properly shouldnt it? Also when i did security wipes i get an email as soon as the device boots up about "blackberry registration" is this normal? Thank you for all you help so far
    08-24-12 01:25 PM
    Yes, you will always need to re-register with your Blackberry ID when you do a wipe.

08-24-12 02:02 PM
    the blackberry id screen never came up when i did the wipe just the email came though about blackberry registration, would i of needed to say go on the app world before the screen would come up for me to input my blackberry id ect..
    08-24-12 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD