I upgraded from a 8530, CDMA blackberry curve to this one.

I love everything about this curve, except the text/bbm bubble scrolling issue (which is probably a firmware problem), and.....

The battery life.

Is it just me, or is the battery life on this device really poor? When I first got this phone on it's stock firmware, I only used it for about 4 hours of moderate texting and bbm, and 3 hours of NOT using the phone, and it depleted to red.

Next, I upgraded to .400 firmware from Orange, and from 100% battery: I used texting and bbm moderately for about 2 hours, sign on msn for a good extra 2 hours without messaging a lot, and SOME music...
    i come home and its 30% already. I idle for 1 hour it becomes 25%, etc, etc...
    I easily got 8 hours of constant instant messaging on my old blackberry 8530 before it completely went red.

I turned off social feeds, and all that, lowered brightness to 10, etc, almost everything you can think of. I kept location on though because I had location on my old bb....

Is it just happening to me? can some of you give some of your battery usage and experiences with this phone?
    10-01-11 08:20 PM
    On my part, I used to have battery life issues until I upgraded software to .400 and then everything went smooth from there. I use my BB mainly for social apps only, so texting and calling would be very rare as I do it more on my iPhone. I am a Facebook, BBM and Twitter addict so you probably know where that will lead to, hehe. Plus I only use and activate my data services when I go out of the house since it's weird that I use it even when I have my pc with internet connection at home. So that leaves me with 50-55% of the battery at the end of the day, enough to last me another round of BIS usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    10-01-11 09:58 PM
    thanks for starting this thread. i am planning to get this phone too. but also concern with the batt life too
    10-02-11 02:02 AM
    I just downgraded to .353 to see how it works. So far, .353 fixes the scrolling problem when you scroll through your text messages and bbm in bubble chat view.

I left it over night at 95%, woke up to find it at 90%, which is not bad, considering I played with it for a bit before I slept. I'll let you know more about the battery life now soon when I use it out
    10-02-11 11:35 AM
    FIELD REPORT #1:

On .353 firmware.... MUCH better than .400 (do not upgrade to .400, its also got a scrolling bubble sms/bbm issue):

-I left my house and went to school from 8 30. From 10:00 i checked my battery, still 100%; beautiful

-I was texting moderately until 11, which I then signed on Windows live messenger. Used that moderately.

-I checked facebook and twitter for about 10 minutes total, and I kept me signed on WLM until i got home, which is about 6, and I used WLM + SMS quite frequently and moderately.

-Listened to music for a good 30 minutes on the bus home. when I got home, battery is 50%

-Idle for about an hour to now: 7:00. Battery is still 50%.

Total battery life used today: 50% over the course of my roughly 7 hours.

What do you guys think??? I'm not sure what to make of it because I wasnt sure if I used messenger and texting as much as I had on my old phone... have to make more field reports, but so far, I am NOT as disappointed
    Last edited by arikado; 10-04-11 at 01:06 AM.
    heartbeat13 and Jake2826 like this.
    10-03-11 06:07 PM
    sounds good! i cant wait for the phone to be release in my country.
    10-04-11 07:41 AM
    @arikado - That's a pretty good status report, if you ask me! Another round of BIS and moderate for the next day :P And yes, now that you've mentioned the bubble scrolling issue in sms/bbm, I just seemed to notice that only recently.. hmm.
    10-05-11 09:49 AM
    Thanks @yalo and @heartbeart13.
    i've got a new field report...

FIELD REPORT #2:
    -Battery is 100% after unplugged from charger at 12:00. Idled until 1:30, went to school
    -Moderate texting, BBM + WLM from 2:30 - 6:30, used facebook and twitter quite often
    -Music for a good 50 minutes on the bus home
    -Battery is 50% once i got home

Note: when i say "moderately", i mean i text 1 line of text every 10 minutes ON AVERAGE, message 1 line on WLM every 5 minutes ON AVERAGE.

So far, a typical day at school will last me 50% battery. Not too shabby at all... I still need to do reports (for myself) to determine if this is better than my old blackberry or not. I'm going to take it to the extreme soon.... including: not locking my phone, leave media player on idle, leaving me signed on Windows Live Messenger, fb and twitter scrolling, AND including calls for once.

On my next field report... I am not gonna charge my blackberry overnight for the testing of the next day, to see if that 50% battery daily still holds. (ONLY GONNA DO THIS WHEN IM FREE, NOT WHEN IM BUSY AND NEED MY BLACKBERRY AT FULL CHARGE LOL)
    Stay tuned....
    Last edited by arikado; 10-05-11 at 08:24 PM.
    heartbeat13 likes this.
    10-05-11 08:17 PM
    Thanks again! I should probably take mine to the extreme as well, but your reports match my daily usage of my 9360 so I could share the same sentiments with you there
    10-05-11 10:04 PM
    I'm not going to lie I'm on .353 at the moment and I'm finding the battery life to be shocking. I'm giving it a couple more full cycles then I'm moving up up .400 too see what that does. I've been too long away from blackberries so I'm not going to give up hope but I do hope its a fix I can get soon... 2 hours and I've dropped 15% maybe ijust being picky but I am slightly concerned. Still like I said a couple more days a a full imvestigation and I'll give you my full report

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-06-11 04:39 AM
    iam using .400 and battery life hs improved a lott . i bbm a lott lsin to music ,facebook n all . and bu the end of the day i'm left with around 25- 30 % which is not badd
    10-06-11 04:53 AM
    7hrs and at 50%
    10-06-11 04:55 AM
    Cheers! I'm currently out with the phone for the first proper day where I won't have access to the charger till very late. Getting nervous as to whether its going to be avaliable to be after 5, ill be updating to .400 this weekend if it doesn't work out!

10-06-11 04:56 AM
    7hrs and at 50%
    this seems to be the average case for me, if you look at both my field reports

7 hours = 50% no matter what you really do unless you take it to the extreme. which is not bad.

I was hoping a new blackberry would last me TWO DAYS of battery life... but ehhh whatever I guess thats just how blackberries are.... I will try 50% one day, and 50% on the other day without charging inbetween on my next field report.

And i'll let you guys know....
    10-06-11 09:47 AM
    Well I chickened on the battery, I turened 3g off for 3 hours or so while I wasn't on the internet. Back on for another 6 or 7 and I guess the use was 'heavy' come midnight (from a 6 am start) I had 30% remaining... Pretty happy with that in all honesty, ill stick with .353 a bit I think the key is is it drops seemingly fairly quickly for the first bit, and then levels out after 65% or so be good to see what you find though!

10-07-11 02:16 AM
    i started my day arnd 9 am and its 8.30 pm rite now and m left with 30% . i"m using .400.
    i'm pretty okay with with itt. but if i want to go out till late nite i make sure i charge it for a while before goin out. i think .353 improved the battery life and .400 made it even bettr. . ill give this phone 8.5/10
    10-07-11 09:43 AM
    Most here seem to have the phone for personal use and are commenting on it in this context. I got the curve for work after my old Bold died and none of the other new blackberries are good enough, so I took the corporate offer for a $0 Curve, which I can upgrade in 12 months. As a business user, I may bring a bit different of a perspective.

For disclosure, I can't update to .400 on Orange because I need to use BES and our IT will not install anything but the authorized Rogers updates. i would think other business users would face the same constraints.

I use my curve heavily for email, and also to bbm with my wife and run the odd application. Email volumes are probably a few hundred (200-400) a day incomming and anywhere from 25-100 outgoing from the blackberry (and the various syncs with my desktop to put outgoing emails onto the blackberry). bbm volumes could be higher but generally are lower.

With this level of usage, if I unplug in the morning at 7:30 or so and forget to plug it into my computer during the day, the battery turns red around 4 and the reception turns off before 5. This is with bluetooth and wireless turned off and brightness turned down to 10 (I also have uninstalled all of the social media junk, much of which I can't use anyways because it is disabled by workplace security).

So while the curve may be fine for a student who is out of the house for 6 hours, it doesn't seem nearly adequate for an enterprise user who needs to be able to rely on it for 12-16 hours a day (working till 10 is fairly routine and working past midnight is not unusual). For comparison, my old bold with the same amount of usage wouldn't turn red until midafternoon or so the next day).

Which is a shame, because none of the other blackberries seem very good either (the bold is too big, the torch is a brick, and the touch torch is useless because blackberry doesn't seem to provide demos to retaielrs and no business user is going to switch to a touch screen they can't try out first). But I have to say, it's kind of pathetic that when I am bbming my wife or sending emails back and forth the keyboard and back of the phone actually get hot. That's some pretty poor battery management.

Hopefully the QNX phones will be better. Otherwsie, we are (finally) doing an internal test of other platforms at our firm, so in 12 months I might be allowed to make the jump away from blackberry to a phone that isn't 3 generations behind.
    Last edited by mvwood; 10-07-11 at 02:22 PM.
    10-07-11 02:15 PM
    for eg if u remove ur phone from the charger arnd 9am you can easily use it till 10pm. 11hrs of battery life. RIM should release another update because i think there is still room for improvemnt or i guess a lot of improvement
    10-08-11 07:32 AM
    @mvwood, thanks for sharing your personal experience (business/email user aspect) with the 9360 battery! yup, everyone has different daily dosage of battery and its great we can keep covering that in several usages.

I've did another field report like I mentioned before, and i gotta say, results are much more satisfying this time around....

Field report #3: TWO DAYS TESTING...

-100%, Unplugged at 1:00 pm, left to go out to go mall shopping/hopping
    -moderate use of texting, bbm, and signed on MSN about 90% of the time... (only signed off when there was no connection in subway)
    -semi facebook and twitter usage, made 2-3 few minute calls
    -60%, came home at 7, which is pretty standard so far.... because of my previous field reports 50% = 7 hours
    -50% after moderate texting and BBM and idled until i went to bed, 2 am and DID NOT CHARGE IT. left it overnight for the second day testing

SECOND DAY:
    -45% when I woke up at 9
    -small facebook/twitter usage throuhout the day
    -idled until 5, VERY VERY SMALL amount of texting until 5
    -signed on msn from 5- 9
    -came home and idled until now (12)
    -5% battery, I'm gonna assume its gonna completely die in the next 2-4 hours, so lets just say:
    -0% at 3 am.

THEREFORE, IT LASTED ME ABOUT 37 HOURS ON A FULL CHARGE.

The bold are all you need to read.... What do you guys think?
    I am quite satisfied its managed to last two days, however my second day wasnt as intense as the first day

my last field report for all of you is next.... im taking the battery to the extent.... stay tuned for the last one
    Last edited by arikado; 10-08-11 at 11:24 PM.
    ericz and john_v like this.
    10-08-11 11:20 PM
    First day with full battery charge.. Took off charger 7:20pm yesterday and its down to about 15% now. That about 18hrs. Good battery in my opinion.

10-09-11 06:44 AM
    FIELD REPORT #4: last one guys...
    -90% left at 11am, this time I didn't leave my home with full charge
    -signed on msn 100% of the time i was out, twitter, facebook, texting a LOT
    -30% when I came home at 7pm

this time I got a full 8 hours with 60% battery used.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

My conclusion from all 4 field reports:

-this battery is slightly better than my old 8530 blackberry. With the old one on 2g, its understanble that it would last long and comparable with this new 9360 (due to 3G taking up more battery power).

-no matter WHAT I do outside for the average amount of 7 hours (daily outing amount), it takes up only 50% battery for 7 hours
    -with 10% brightness, fb and twitter set to feed=never BUT push notifications yes, social app turned off, etc, etc, you can idle for overnight and it will only take away 5% battery

-if you are a average user/student/social maniac/txting addict like me, this phone will easily last you AT MOST 2 days without charging in between, starting with a full charge before it completely goes to 0%. you can keep yourself signed on msn for an estimate of 30 hours before the battery dies.

-I'm not completely happy, but i am satisfied . knowing that on a single day, I can go out and do WHATEVER i want and come back without it being dead.

There we go I have finally completely my conclusion and opinion on the battery life of the 9360 (FOR MYSELF) from when I started this thread, and I hope my analysis can help any of you in anyway
    Last edited by arikado; 10-10-11 at 12:29 AM.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-10-11 12:20 AM
    I was just getting comfy with this whole battery life issue... I'd been using the phone heavily all day, and as I wasn't going out the next day (today) so I figured I'd charge it that evening and just leave it overnight.

It was done charging by 10pm and I used it for an hour before bed, downloaded 2 apps over wifi and then turned it (wifi) off right after, didn't even run the apps themselves, just a bit of texting. Bed at midnight and I got 2 emails and 1 fb message in the early hours of the morning the only notification was the LED. When I woke up the next morning (6am) the battery was on 30%, I'm not going to lie, I was shocked. I figured maybe it had just messed up but an hour or so of use and it physically shut down on me giving me the 'battery drained' message (7am).

From arikados report .400 isn't must better and I'm reluctant to waste time upgrading if it isn't worth it.

For clarification I have brightness turned right down, only vibrate in use when I'm awake, asleep I put it on silent, no vibrate, no social feeds, facebook doesn't update, neither does twitter and no IM'ing aside from BBM. The one thing I did forget last night was bedside mode which I normally do, but even then when I do that, its on charge.

The one time when i got brilliant battery life was when I turned 3g off and down to only 2g, but I would rather like to be able to use it as a 3g phone, that said its never been as bad as last night. I'm SURE its more of a software management of the battery issue so I'll hang around for a bit till someone releases a new software update, but not happy right now! 9 hours from arikados 37 though is an EXTREME difference! Also out of caution I deleted the 2 apps I downloaded, they were terrible free games anyways
    10-11-11 03:52 AM
    thanks for the update! confirmed buying this phone already!
    10-11-11 11:05 AM
    It was charged again by 10, I barely used it at all and before 10pm it was drained, dead.

I THINK I've figured it out though, we've been affected by the BIS outages, I can only assume the poor phones screaming for it draining all the battery and not getting anywhere.

I cant believe a phone with no use would get less than 12 hours standby!

Clearing this up because aside from the battery this is a great little phone does everything I need it too by a long way! Loving it!
    10-12-11 04:30 AM
    I've got a question, is anyone also experiencing a super fast charge when charging their 9360's? Cuz mine goes into a full charge in more or less, an hour.

So I left my house to go to school today at 1:25pm, and my battery 95%, I texted almost quite a lot on my BB and used very little of its BIS. Got home at 7pm with a 25-30% battery life. Kinda fast-drained considering I didn't use the BIS very often?
    10-12-11 08:46 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD