Good morning!

First post here

I am need of some urgent help as I think I am suffering from tunnel vision after having spent loads of time on this issue.

Situation:

I have a blackberry cure 9320 setup via BES express. The device has been setup exactly the same as for any other user. The only problem is that when the user puts entries into their calendar via the BB they do not show up on their outlook/exchange calendar. The other way round works fine albeit with some delay.

I have done the following -

1. Tested with my BB by entering an appointment into the calendar which after a few minutes appeared in my outlook calendar. Did the same with another users BB and it worked fine.
    2. Wiped the users device and setup again but the issue persists
    3. Wiped device again, removed user from BES and waited 24 hours before setting up again, no joy
    4. Wiped device again, removed user from BES and waited 24 hours before setting up a completely new device, no joy
    5. Checked the SIM with the provider and all checks out fine. Moved phone number from SIM to new SIM, no joy

Running out of ideas here. Is there anything I have missed? Do I need to run some sort of powershell commands on my exchange server? I am running exchange 2007 by the way.

Any help is very much appreciated

PS. This issue is only happening to the one user
    09-24-13 05:04 AM
    Good morning!

First post here

I am need of some urgent help as I think I am suffering from tunnel vision after having spent loads of time on this issue.

Situation:

I have a blackberry cure 9320 setup via BES express. The device has been setup exactly the same as for any other user. The only problem is that when the user puts entries into their calendar via the BB they do not show up on their outlook/exchange calendar. The other way round works fine albeit with some delay.

I have done the following -

1. Tested with my BB by entering an appointment into the calendar which after a few minutes appeared in my outlook calendar. Did the same with another users BB and it worked fine.
    2. Wiped the users device and setup again but the issue persists
    3. Wiped device again, removed user from BES and waited 24 hours before setting up again, no joy
    4. Wiped device again, removed user from BES and waited 24 hours before setting up a completely new device, no joy
    5. Checked the SIM with the provider and all checks out fine. Moved phone number from SIM to new SIM, no joy

Running out of ideas here. Is there anything I have missed? Do I need to run some sort of powershell commands on my exchange server? I am running exchange 2007 by the way.

Any help is very much appreciated

PS. This issue is only happening to the one user
    Hi and welcome.

I have some initial questions:
    1) Do you have other 9320's on your system? If yes pls. confirm they are working correctly and if they are using identical firmware.
    2) When you installed the BES Express, did you configure it to use EWS? If not - you are using MAPI and CDO as the only "contact" to your exchange.
    2) Is your MAPI/CDO 1.2.1 components updated to the recommended version according to "BlackBerry Compatibility Matrix"?
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Compatibility - US

SIM is definitively OK since you have mail flow etc.

Further troubleshooting:
    All the "interesting" MAPI/CDO stuff is logged by the Messaging Agent (MAGT).
    A nice trick is to move the affected user to a "static messaging agent", which basically means he runs in his own process but more importantly all MAGT logging is separated in its own file.
    This is done the components tab (as far as I remember) on the user in the BAS interface.

Finally you will have to open the daily log folder and find the relevant MAGT file. It will be named according to this naming scheme:
    SERVERNAME_MAGT_[MAGT_ID]_DATE_[SERIAL].txt

MAGT_ID will reflect the number you chose when you assigned the static messaging agent - default is 200.

Then try to create an appointment wait a minute an look into the logfile. Search for failed and error.

PS: I assume you did follow the guidelines for setting up service accounts, permissions, throttling policy etc?
    KB20157-How to enable BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 to use Microsoft Exchange Web Services
    09-24-13 06:48 AM
    Hi JPVJ,

Answers to your questions -

1) Do you have other 9320's on your system? If yes pls. confirm they are working correctly and if they are using identical firmware.
    Yes. All working fine. Nobody else has complained of this issue and I have tested with two other 9320's.

2) When you installed the BES Express, did you configure it to use EWS? If not - you are using MAPI and CDO as the only "contact" to your exchange.
    Not sure on this as BES Express was already setup when I started working here. How would I find out?

3) Is your MAPI/CDO 1.2.1 components updated to the recommended version according to "BlackBerry Compatibility Matrix"?
    Can this be determined via the BES server? How would I find out?

Just going through your troubleshooting steps. Very comprehensive

UPDATE: I set the static messaging agent and used the default 200 ID. I did search in the log file for "failed" and found the following (username and domain name have been edited out) -

{username} CDOCalendar::Initialize - Error in call m_spCalendarFolder = m_spCDOSession->GetDefaultFolder
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:09.244):{0x2344} CDO initializing failure in CDO helper 010EC2C0 (5)
    [40580] (09/24 12:13:10.244):{0x2344} CDO helper 010EC2C0 closing after CDO initialize failure
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:10.261):{0x2328} {xxxx.xxxx@domain.co.uk} CDO helper 010EC2C0 returned error 'CAL_CDO_INIT_FAILED' failed for LongTermEntryId=0 in LaunchCalHelper
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:10.345):{0x2344} CalHelper failed 010EC2C0, ErrorCode = -11, Thread activity was Checking CDO object list
    [40577] (09/24 12:13:11.245):{0x2344} CDO helper 010EC2C0 stopped
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:11.282):{0x2328} {xxxx.xxxx@domain.co.uk} Unable to launch CDO helper in SynchronizeHelper
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:11.282):{0x2328} {xxxx.xxxx@domain.co.uk} Unable to process message with LongTermEntryId=0 in SynchronizeHelper
    [20216] (09/24 12:13:11.282):{0x2328} {xxxx.xxxx@domain.co.uk} Synchronize() failed: ERR_FAIL, Tag=3218528
    [40000] (09/24 12:13:11.282):{0x2328} {xxxx.xxxx@domain.co.uk}-HandleAppointmentToSynchronize-Exit-rc=Error
    Last edited by CLAWSS; 09-24-13 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Additional info added
    09-24-13 07:10 AM
    FIXED

The issue was on the actual mailbox within exchange. The full access permissions were not set correctly. Once the permissions were amended it started working fine
    09-25-13 11:31 AM