It seems as though all of the themes for the 8900 (and other BB's) are "TODAY" based. Why is this? I personally can't stand them as IMO they clutter the home screen. I'm all for purchasing nice/clean well put together themes, but if the "today" based themes keep rolling out, I'm going to be using my stock TMO theme for a while. Btw, this isn't a blast twoards the makers of these themes, I just don't understand all of the hype for the "today themes. There are a million to choose from, but maybe 1 regular "zen" theme.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 09:21 AM
    It seems as though all of the themes for the 8900 (and other BB's) are "TODAY" based. Why is this? I personally can't stand them as IMO they clutter the home screen. I'm all for purchasing nice/clean well put together themes, but if the "today" based themes keep rolling out, I'm going to be using my stock TMO theme for a while. Btw, this isn't a blast twoards the makers of these themes, I just don't understand all of the hype for the "today themes. There are a million to choose from, but maybe 1 regular "zen" theme.

Heh....I wonder the same thing....I'm on a Stomr, and there are all these "today" themes. I "DO" find it useful for my calendar, being that you can see the events and when. Rather than pullin up yer calendar and scrolling to the days or whatever it is you have to do (again i'm speaking from MY experience).

People want the ability to just "see" it in front of them.....they're usually the "i need it now i don't want to wait cuz i have to click something to get to where i wanna go" mentality.

again, just my .02.
    03-18-09 09:43 AM
    I would like to see themes like the one that came with my Storm from Verizon. The Icons are clean and represent a picture of what you are doing. it would be nice to see more themes like these.
    03-18-09 09:47 AM
    I still would lke to find one like the Sierra Pearl Ring theme I had on my Pearl! It had a ring of apps on the home screen. Coolest theme I've ever come across.

Also, I don't like the Today themes either! As the OP stated, they clutter the screen!

Last edited by skullgame45; 03-18-09 at 09:57 AM.
    03-18-09 09:53 AM
    I've always just used the pre-loaded themes, but there are some real nice "Today" themes.

And remember, the blackberry device was designed to help business people more effectively manage their lives and business, Today themes are great for that.
    03-18-09 09:55 AM
    I think what would make the today themes alot more user friendly is if they had a SMS/Email icons instead of the date book... but im going to DL plazmic and make my own...
    03-18-09 09:56 AM
    I agree that they are more suited for business types, but I'm a business owner and very busy, but the "today" themes just don't help me any fater than the regular "zen" type themes do. Like I stated, not bashing them, would just like to see more regular type themes. IMO the Precision theme on the 8900 is very nice, but I do like to change themes here and there, just as I do wallpapers. And just for the record, I HATE the word wrap issue!! Damn its annoying. :/

03-18-09 10:05 AM
    The one I installed yesterday has the calendar entries pop up when I scroll across the calendar icon on the homescreen, messages too. Otherwise the homescreen is clean. I like it (it's on this forum). Personally I don't go for the themes with a "theme", like Starwars, Green Bay Packers, etc. I've used them but only for a day or so and then I go back to a more traditional theme.
    03-18-09 11:13 AM
    Sometimes I like to see what's going on via a today theme. Having the calendar entries always showing helps me to mentally prepare for events in advance.

Other times I like no clutter. So I'm looking for a today theme that can just be toggled on/off (I'm using a Curve and currently an 8900 replica theme).
    03-18-09 11:20 AM
    Not a fan of today themes, but I can see where they would be useful if you were a business type. Well, I am a business type actually, but it is not for me.
    03-18-09 11:26 AM
    I still would lke to find one like the Sierra Pearl Ring theme I had on my Pearl! It had a ring of apps on the home screen. Coolest theme I've ever come across.

Also, I don't like the Today themes either! As the OP stated, they clutter the screen!

Did you see the Ying Yang one?????

http://forums.crackberry.com/f129/ying-yang-183834/
    03-18-09 11:42 AM
    It is not that hard to click on the calendar button for me... that and I have reminders set for everything
    03-18-09 11:42 AM
    i second that. A nice clean theme. And for my work, to do matrix works brilliantly.
    03-18-09 12:06 PM
    I like the Android bottom dock....the slider one...

I like to see the picture on my home screen!
    03-18-09 12:17 PM
    Did you see the Ying Yang one?????

http://forums.crackberry.com/f129/ying-yang-183834/
    Not even close! The one I'm talking about looked this:

03-18-09 12:36 PM
    Nice... I like that!!!

Would like it even better with a hidden dock, maybe we should ask Slurg to work one up for us!?!
    03-18-09 12:38 PM
    Yeah, its the sickest theme I've ever seen! Found it when it was first released and I have yet to change it on my Pearl.

03-18-09 12:43 PM
    I'm working on a theme that doesn't have the 'Today' stuff, for myself, since Plazmic 4.7 is official. It's turning out, nicely. But, it is very time-consuming. Lots of photoshopping icons to the best size, testing, etc...

Hardest part is finding good meters. I, actually, found the meters and icons from the TIM Zen that I used on my 8320. But, they're all too small and too low res to blow up.

Found a really nice set of icons that I can work with. But, that's going to take a while. I have to resize every one, and also create a 'focus' version of each one.

If you have time, on your hands, and like to use Paintshop Pro or Photoshop, theming isn't too hard. Mostly trial and error.

I think I'm on version 4 of my theme, so far. And, it's at a point where I enjoy it more than the one I'd been using found on pinstack for the past few weeks.

My biggest gripe has been the lack of shading around the homescreen text so that only dark wallpapers or light wallpapers (Depending on the theme) could be used. With mine, I can use white or black
    03-18-09 05:01 PM
    today themes are good for people with busy schedule but useless for people who dont keep a schedule or calander....im not theme creator but is it hard to make a today and a not today version
    03-18-09 06:08 PM
    today themes are good for people with busy schedule but useless for people who dont keep a schedule or calander....im not theme creator but is it hard to make a today and a not today version
    Not really. All you have to do, in Plazmic Theme Builder, is click a check mark for the today area to be incorporated.
    03-18-09 06:19 PM
    what are you looking for? how many icons?
    03-18-09 06:46 PM
    Jocelyn, I like the layout of the stock TMO themes, but I do like new creative ideas from the regular themes Ive seen created, like on the 83xx series. I understand that a lot of time and work goes into some of these themes, so like I mentioned before, Im not opposed to purchasing one if it fits what Im looking for. And also as I stated before, Im a busy d00d, but the "today" themes arent for me. Im capable of setting reminders/alerts and looking through my calendar, emails and SMS/MMS texts without it having to pop-up on the screen every time I scroll over the icon.
    03-18-09 07:12 PM
    Jocelyn, I like the layout of the stock TMO themes, but I do like new creative ideas from the regular themes Ive seen created, like on the 83xx series. I understand that a lot of time and work goes into some of these themes, so like I mentioned before, Im not opposed to purchasing one if it fits what Im looking for. And also as I stated before, Im a busy d00d, but the "today" themes arent for me. Im capable of setting reminders/alerts and looking through my calendar, emails and SMS/MMS texts without it having to pop-up on the screen every time I scroll over the icon.
    have some examples of what you're looking for?

I really enjoy taking a wallpaper and making the icons fit in a useful and (I think) aesthetic way.

want me to work the the one you gave me already?
    03-18-09 09:21 PM
    Yeah I noticed a lot of today themes as well. Is it easier to make the today type themes? I appreciate everyones hard work and effort put into each theme so where's the love for zen themes?

03-18-09 10:01 PM
    I'm wondering why there was no pre-installed icon theme for the 8900. I like those the best.

03-18-09 11:44 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD