What Themes Work for you??? Any with Issues???
    08-27-09 05:29 PM
    I've tried a few and they work great. The HTC Hero ETheme one works great but the Media button doesn't work since the files were individualized in 5.0. Also, Tour themes also work on my 8900 with the 5.0 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 10:56 PM
    I've tried a few and they work great. The HTC Hero ETheme one works great but the Media button doesn't work since the files were individualized in 5.0. Also, Tour themes also work on my 8900 with the 5.0 OS.

dang, really? Tour themes work on the 8900?

That's awesome..
    08-27-09 11:15 PM
    I've been using BerryGreen v2, and kept it after installing 190. Works for the most part, although the fonts get weird in dialogue buttons (e.g., OK / Cancel). When I scroll to a button that is fairly full of the text string, I believe the OS is trying to highlight the text, or make it bold or something -- but the result is that the string gets too long to fit properly, so it's replaced by either the first few letters and an ellipsis ("..."), or completely replaced with dashes.

Not a huge issue, but it's clear this build deals with themes a bit differently.
    08-27-09 11:17 PM
    I've been using BerryGreen v2, and kept it after installing 190. Works for the most part, although the fonts get weird in dialogue buttons (e.g., OK / Cancel). When I scroll to a button that is fairly full of the text string, I believe the OS is trying to highlight the text, or make it bold or something -- but the result is that the string gets too long to fit properly, so it's replaced by either the first few letters and an ellipsis ("..."), or completely replaced with dashes.

Not a huge issue, but it's clear this build deals with themes a bit differently.
    (hey can u screenshot me? Id love to see if this is fixabled)
    08-27-09 11:21 PM
    (hey can u screenshot me? Id love to see if this is fixabled)
    OK...not exactly the effect I described, but you can see how text is being truncated when the button is highlighted in the shots below:
    08-27-09 11:37 PM
    OK...not exactly the effect I described, but you can see how text is being truncated when the button is highlighted in the shots below:
    Great! Ill see what I can do to fix it tomorrow. Ill post changes in the BerryGreenv2 thread. Thanks for posting and to the OP, sorry for the side note.
    08-27-09 11:43 PM

WOW! He is right, they do work. I had to try it out to see if it worked. It does. How did you figure this out?

08-28-09 07:54 AM
    WOW! He is right, they do work. I had to try it out to see if it worked. It does. How did you figure this out?

Only thing I would be cautious about is this:

If you have a Tour theme installed and it is your active theme, you should switch to a standard 8900 theme before you ever consider falling back to a 4.6.x.x OS release from 5.0.0.190. Themes that the OS doesn't like can jam up the phone, requiring you to use something like javaloader or JL Commander (wrapper around jl) to delete the files that are confusing the OS. Generally fixable when this happens, but it puts a serious crimp in your day, takes a bit of homework if you haven't done this before, and can be a major nuisance.

I think it's great that Tour themes will work with this -- love to have more toys to try out (although most of the better new themes I'm seeing are being released for multiple devices anyway these days). Just a word of caution if you go this route and ever decide to fall back to a 4.6.x.x OS release.
    08-28-09 08:57 AM
    You bring up a great point and reminder. Now correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't jl completely wipe the phone? I know I've always used it to downgrade os'. I love the prospects of new toys to play with. Most good themes are multi-phone themes now.

08-28-09 09:12 AM
    You bring up a great point and reminder. Now correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't jl completely wipe the phone? I know I've always used it to downgrade os'. I love the prospects of new toys to play with. Most good themes are multi-phone themes now.

You can use it to wipe the phone -- or issue other commands, such as deleting individual files (e.g., the files related to a problematic theme).
    08-28-09 09:44 AM
    I am Running 5.0.0.100 on my 8900 and i can confirm that Tour themes work for that OS as well!
    08-28-09 09:54 AM
    I am Running 5.0.0.100 on my 8900 and i can confirm that Tour themes work for that OS as well!
    @Mr T -- you find 100 stable enough for daily use? Was a disaster for me, and 130 was also unusable. 190 certainly not perfect, but I think it's close enough for me to enjoy the 5.x.x.x features and still have a usable business blackberry. We'll see over the next day or two...
    08-28-09 09:59 AM
    @Mr T -- you find 100 stable enough for daily use? Was a disaster for me, and 130 was also unusable. 190 certainly not perfect, but I think it's close enough for me to enjoy the 5.x.x.x features and still have a usable business blackberry. We'll see over the next day or two...
    I first used .90 and it was horrible. But i do find 100 to be very stable for me. As everyone know, the Facebook app has not been updated to work with any 5.0 (and YES, Facebook fault, not Blackberry), but I've got all other needed programs up and running and i am very happy with it. I do have occasional problems with UMA on 100. I'd upgrade to 190 if BBM 5 worked. But being a theme maker I love that 5.0 fixed the re-booting with unread messages bug.
    08-28-09 10:16 AM
    I first used .90 and it was horrible. But i do find 100 to be very stable for me. As everyone know, the Facebook app has not been updated to work with any 5.0 (and YES, Facebook fault, not Blackberry), but I've got all other needed programs up and running and i am very happy with it. I do have occasional problems with UMA on 100. I'd upgrade to 190 if BBM 5 worked. But being a theme maker I love that 5.0 fixed the re-booting with unread messages bug.
    UMA seems to be best on 190 of any of the 5.x.x.x builds. In 100 and 130, I found UMA was ok for data, but phone calls would drop after a minute or two. I finally had almost perfect UMA with 4.6.1.250 (i.e., no dropped calls, ability to actually move from UMA to GPRS without the call dropping, etc). Seems almost as good with 190, except that I *do* seem to seeing the call drop when I move from UMA to GPRS/EDGE with 190. More testing today.

Overall, 190 feels like a huge step up toward a full featured release to me. Highly recommended for those who want a 5.x.x.x experience.
    08-28-09 10:21 AM
    I use the green PIPboy theme 3000 v8.9 works just like in 4.6.1
    09-14-09 05:49 PM
    What Themes Work for you??? Any with Issues???
    check out my blog, I have a few links to some themes that work perfectly on my Curve 8900 and I am running OS 5.0.0.190
    09-15-09 04:56 PM
    UMA seems to be best on 190 of any of the 5.x.x.x builds. In 100 and 130, I found UMA was ok for data, but phone calls would drop after a minute or two. I finally had almost perfect UMA with 4.6.1.250 (i.e., no dropped calls, ability to actually move from UMA to GPRS without the call dropping, etc). Seems almost as good with 190, except that I *do* seem to seeing the call drop when I move from UMA to GPRS/EDGE with 190. More testing today.

Overall, 190 feels like a huge step up toward a full featured release to me. Highly recommended for those who want a 5.x.x.x experience.
    I agree, totally. I also think data, in general, is better on OS 5...190 What is so good about BBM 5? I know that .190 uses BBM 4.7...but I want to know all of the hype. Is it, in any way, similar to BBM 4.7?
    09-15-09 05:00 PM
    I agree, totally. I also think data, in general, is better on OS 5...190 What is so good about BBM 5? I know that .190 uses BBM 4.7...but I want to know all of the hype. Is it, in any way, similar to BBM 4.7?
    I used BBM 5 when I had 4.6.1.250 installed, and it was very nice. Perhaps a bit more functionality, but in general, a nicer look & feel. I think that RIM is paying more and more attention to "user experience" as the market heats up and various platforms like iPhone and Android are evolving and raising expectations. I love Blackberry's for their functionality and reliability, but I welcome UI changes that bring the overall experience more in line with current industry evolution.

I find that 4.7 is generally as functional as BBM 5 -- but if/when a beta leaks that works on 5.0.0.190, or another version of 5.x.x.x leaks (or, heaven forbid! the REAL 5.x.x.x is released), I'd love to have a BBM 5.x version on it to make the experience complete.
    09-15-09 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD