I did a search and haven't really come up with a clear answer for my problem. But my youtube works fine when I'm on edge connection. As soon as I switch over to wifi (uma) the videos don't play anymore. I just get errors.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 02:49 PM
    I do get a lot of errors and yes they do happen when I'm at home using my wifi!
    05-10-09 03:26 PM
    Yea, and its not just at home for me. I tried on my library's wifi and same thing.

05-10-09 04:18 PM
    It has something to do with the settings in your router. I cant remember the exact problem though, it's been a while since i changed mine.
    05-10-09 04:54 PM
    I am having the same problem! It would be really awesome to get a resolution
    I have tried from several wifi connections and no luck so far

05-10-09 05:41 PM
    Nobody know what's up wih this?

05-11-09 11:50 PM
    Maybe its a bug in a specific OS? No problem for me in wifi running .206
    05-12-09 01:38 AM
    i have the same problem before and after the .206 os
    05-12-09 05:54 AM
    Maybe its a bug in a specific OS? No problem for me in wifi running .206
    I have tried it with .114 through .239, all with the same result.

Now I'm even more eager knowing it works fine for some people!!

05-12-09 03:20 PM
    Just tried it again, disabled the cellular radio and used the g connection at my house no problems. Watched in its entirety with no hiccups. The quality was craptacular but it played without skipping or errors

I have a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT and I may have tweaked the wireless signal settings a bit, but I don't remember. I also tried my neighbors wifi, which was a little weak, and watched a different video which also played fine.

I don't know a lot about the 8900 wifi, but for those having problems, you should check for sources of interference. Things like nearby wireless routers running on the same channel, 2.4GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors. One big problem people overlook is other nearby routers. In the US there are only about 12 different channels you can use and by default many routers choose the same channel. So if you are in a highly populated area with lots of signals on the same channel, it can cause a lot of problems. Another issue could be the position of the antenna on your phone, make sure you don't cover the antenna with your hand while holding it. I believe the antenna is on the bottom edge of the back of the phone. I know this can help for phone calls in low reception areas, but not sure how helpful it can be for wifi.

Now, if these problems occur on multiple wifi networks, theres obviously another problem.
    05-12-09 09:14 PM
    Same problem here and I am running .206

It could be youtube.
    All of my iPhone friends have also been having problems with youtube
    05-13-09 12:39 AM
    I just got my 8900 last Thursday and ran into this problem. Tried everything possible to fix it and spent about 6 hours on the phone over the last few days with RIM. Late last night, my RIM tech David (who was absolutely WONDERFUL, btw) came to the conclusion that it was either my phone or my router. Before returning my phone, I decided to do a little war-walking down the street. Found an open wireless network and YouTube worked perfectly.

So I'm getting a new router. The router that I have now is a Netgear WGT624 with the latest firmware. My neighbor's router is a Linksys (no idea what model since they weren't home when I connected to it )

Hope this helps others.
    05-13-09 11:03 AM
    Forgot to mention: my 8900 is running the official TMob release of the OS, which is .114.
    05-13-09 11:04 AM

I don't know a lot about the 8900 wifi, but for those having problems, you should check for sources of interference. Things like nearby wireless routers running on the same channel, 2.4GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors. One big problem people overlook is other nearby routers. In the US there are only about 12 different channels you can use and by default many routers choose the same channel. So if you are in a highly populated area with lots of signals on the same channel, it can cause a lot of problems. Another issue could be the position of the antenna on your phone, make sure you don't cover the antenna with your hand while holding it. I believe the antenna is on the bottom edge of the back of the phone. I know this can help for phone calls in low reception areas, but not sure how helpful it can be for wifi.
    But my question is how come my itouch can run youtube flawlessly regardless of what wifi network I'm on anywhere, but my 8900 has all these problems with certain wifi signals.

I really think RIM needs to adress this issue in the next major firmware update. Just like I said I've never had issues with youtube on my itouch on any wifi connection. But with my bb its so hit and miss. Its really frustrating because I'd rather not watch youtube over EDGE

And I doubt it has anything to do with covering up the antennae with your hand lol

05-13-09 12:56 PM
    I will have to try some wifi spots in my area. It is a pain to watch videos on EDGE while it buffers.
    05-14-09 05:23 AM
    i'm running .199 and I have absolutely no issues what so ever.
    05-14-09 08:36 AM
    I just got my 8900 last Thursday and ran into this problem. Tried everything possible to fix it and spent about 6 hours on the phone over the last few days with RIM. Late last night, my RIM tech David (who was absolutely WONDERFUL, btw) came to the conclusion that it was either my phone or my router. Before returning my phone, I decided to do a little war-walking down the street. Found an open wireless network and YouTube worked perfectly.

So I'm getting a new router. The router that I have now is a Netgear WGT624 with the latest firmware. My neighbor's router is a Linksys (no idea what model since they weren't home when I connected to it )

Hope this helps others.
    I am not sure you need a new router... do you have security set up on your route or is it open access? (maybe people are stealing your bandwidth). You could also try optimizing your router first and make sure your phone is set to the highest priority. These things might not work, but certainly worth a try before you buy a new router.

Might want to try the settings in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/uma-setup-how-206217/
    05-14-09 08:48 AM
    just to report: by using bb browser and wifi browser setting, everything is fine.

are we talking about the same thing?
    05-14-09 01:31 PM
    Im still having the same issue with youtube over wifi , I just tried it over edge and it works fine . Like said before I can get youtube working fine at work and at a friends place over wifi . Just can't get it working at home .. Is there a port that needs to be open?
    05-14-09 09:07 PM
    Same here.
    06-04-09 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD