I know this topic has been beaten dead, but I still dont get y bbs dont have or arent compatible wit flash players. I'm a noob 2 CB but not 2 BBs (8700 then 8900) so plz dont think I'm ed. lol
    I'm just curious about whther or not there will ever b a OS that will let me watch ma online movies via BB. I love ma 8900 and I know about vuclip and youtube but it wood b awesum 2 watch all the other great video sites out there.

Its ma first thread so just gimme ur thoughts and vent also if u want.
    Last edited by jnoon; 03-22-09 at 09:32 AM.
    03-22-09 09:30 AM
    here is some info i read on BlackBerry Forums (i can't post links yet because of my post count) about smartphone compatible Flash player:

Adobe explains: Why there's no Flash on iPhone or BlackBerry
    17 November 2008

It might annoy the **** out of you when the front page of a site is a Flash extravaganza, but there's no denying that Adobe's Flash format is all-pervasive in the online world.

Originally developed by Macromedia (which Adobe acquired in late 2005), Flash has become the dominant format for online video. By Adobe's estimate, it accounts for 80% of all Internet video viewing, a statistic driven in large part by its use on YouTube and at a secondary level by its use in online TV platforms like the ABC's iView.

Flash is widely supported on PC platforms, being available across Windows, Mac and Linux systems and in most major browsers (even Google Chrome supported Flash from the outset). However, it's a different story on mobile phones.

Adobe boasts that there will be more than a billion devices enabled with Flash Lite, its mobile-specific version, by early 2009. It's working to add Flash support to the Google-backed Android platform, which it says will happen in "the very near future".

However, that list doesn't include arguably the two most iconic devices in the mobile world: Apple's iPhone and RIM's BlackBerry, both of which are Flash-free zones. In the case of the iPhone, the ability for the phone to play YouTube videos in a special YouTube application provides a tantalising hint of Flash Video in the phone but alas, it's merely Quicktime Video playback. Apple got YouTube to convert most of its videos into MPEG-4 in order to be compatible with Apple, rather than accommodating Flash Video in the phone.

As it prepares for this week's MAX developers conference, Adobe is maintaining the party line that there will eventually be an iPhone version of Flash. "We continue to work with Apple on developing that," Anup Murarka, Director of technical marketing mobile and devices at Adobe, told APC this week. However, in typical this-is-Apple-and-we'll-tell-you-when-it-suits-us fashion, there's no actual public timeframe on the horizon.

For BlackBerry, the news is more definitive but less pleasing. According to Murarka, the big problem is the use of Java as the core development platform for the BlackBerry. "We are not going to be able to get Flash running under Java," he said, noting that the multiple layers of code interpretation that would require (Flash converted to Java converted to BlackBerry device code) impose a performance burden that can't readily be overcome.

Murarka freely concedes that this has created some problems. "People notice," he said. "We see the need and we think there's demand."

Another problem for Adobe is that it has developed its licensing models for Flash Lite in the US and Japan, where the handset market is dominated by carriers. That makes it harder to build support in markets like Australia and Europe, where handset builders generally have the upper hand in negotiations. "That means it's not nicely packaged in a single operator's network," Murarka said, though Nokia has added Flash support to its Symbian-based devices.

In the long term, Adobe hopes that the Open Screen Project, in which it is a key partner, will provide a means for supporting portable applications, including its AIR system as well as Flash, on a range of platforms. However, the first fruits of that project in the form of public code won't be seen until late 2009, Murarka said. Neither RIM or Apple are currently members of the OSP.
    03-22-09 09:43 AM
    That article made me sad. I thought that Flash on BB would be in the near future. After reading that, I suppose not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 09:50 AM
    Thanx 4 tha info. Its good 2 know that tha ppl behind tha scene r working on the videos and not trying 2 build another slimmer bb. lol
    03-22-09 09:51 AM
    I know this topic has been beaten dead, but I still dont get y bbs dont have or arent compatible wit flash players. I'm a noob 2 CB but not 2 BBs (8700 then 8900) so plz dont think I'm ed. lol
    I'm just curious about whther or not there will ever b a OS that will let me watch ma online movies via BB. I love ma 8900 and I know about vuclip and youtube but it wood b awesum 2 watch all the other great video sites out there.

Its ma first thread so just gimme ur thoughts and vent also if u want.
    Windows just got full flash recently, too, and Windows is a more developer based system. Be patient - Skyfire will be coming out for BlackBerry soon, too. Skyfire is a mobile browswer that enables ajax, html, quicktime, native flash, native wmv and native avi. You won't have to use the media player or youtube mobile again. It has server side compression (like Bolt and Opera Mini) and is fast on EDGE, too. I have used it on Windows Mobile and love it - fast - loads YouTube videos within seconds - plays them in the browswer just like your desktop browswer would.
    03-22-09 12:15 PM
    Skyfire is a server based browser. This means that, like Opera-Mini, it does all the hard work back on its server and feeds you the result. By doing this, it can manage Flash and give the Blackberry something (who knows what) that it can display.

This is not a very good solution but it will work. This leaads me to another though.

If Skyfire can do this on a server, why not RIM?
    03-22-09 12:26 PM
    I guess we gave up flash players for direct conect.
    03-25-09 12:24 PM
    Windows just got full flash recently, too, and Windows is a more developer based system. Be patient - Skyfire will be coming out for BlackBerry soon, too. Skyfire is a mobile browswer that enables ajax, html, quicktime, native flash, native wmv and native avi. You won't have to use the media player or youtube mobile again. It has server side compression (like Bolt and Opera Mini) and is fast on EDGE, too. I have used it on Windows Mobile and love it - fast - loads YouTube videos within seconds - plays them in the browswer just like your desktop browswer would.
    Tx es_bih! but does that mean that Flash-created Sites will also need ServerSide Apps to send FlashLite / WhatEver ... ??
    03-25-09 02:40 PM
    BB hardware cannot process and sustain Flash media the way a desktop can. Caching SWF files would take a TON of memory. It just isn't applicable to BB yet. The hardware isn't ready for Flash unfortunately. Flash heavily relies on caching. Unless the model is changed you won't see Flash on handhelds the way you do on desktops.
    03-25-09 02:48 PM
    Woohoo! Not bad 4 ma 1st thread!
    03-28-09 03:46 AM
    Meh. Adobe is a joke...

Another problem for Adobe is that it has developed its licensing models for Flash Lite in the US and Japan, where the handset market is dominated by carriers. That makes it harder to build support in markets like Australia and Europe, where handset builders generally have the upper hand in negotiations. "That means it's not nicely packaged in a single operator's network," Murarka said, though Nokia has added Flash support to its Symbian-based devices.
    That doesn't make any sense, but then again, the keywords there are licensing models. 'nuff said.

I hate flash with passion thanks to all the disgusting, ********, useless and user-UNfriendly websites out there. But I would like to know if it's really that much of a deal to make BBs play saved .flv from memory...
    03-28-09 08:07 AM
    All somebody needs to do is make a browser with flash embedded. When I had the att fuze I used skyfire it was fast. Like opera but had flash and you could watch videos on any site

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 08:24 AM
    Skyfire is a server based browser. This means that, like Opera-Mini, it does all the hard work back on its server and feeds you the result. By doing this, it can manage Flash and give the Blackberry something (who knows what) that it can display.

This is not a very good solution but it will work. This leaads me to another though.

If Skyfire can do this on a server, why not RIM?

Simple question - because they know that they can, but they also know that there are developers out there *something Microsoft realized a while ago* that are willing to fix up the things you didn't want to spend your money on.

Yes it is server side, but it is better than nothing. You won't be able to play flash games or saved content like you can with Windows Mobile and Flash lite, but you will be able to access sites like Hulu (TV and Movie site) and YouTube on EDGE (which says a lot).
    03-28-09 11:58 AM
    Tx es_bih! but does that mean that Flash-created Sites will also need ServerSide Apps to send FlashLite / WhatEver ... ??
    I have used a lot of flash sides on my TyTN, Excalibur (Dash), and BlackJack - and all of them worked - and as of version 0.9 worked quite well. Even on EDGE I could load up a TV show on Hulu within seconds! I am happy that they are finally going to start looking at the BlackBerry OS platform.
    03-28-09 12:00 PM
    BB hardware cannot process and sustain Flash media the way a desktop can. Caching SWF files would take a TON of memory. It just isn't applicable to BB yet. The hardware isn't ready for Flash unfortunately. Flash heavily relies on caching. Unless the model is changed you won't see Flash on handhelds the way you do on desktops.
    But it is already a reality on "handhelds" for years . Just because RIM doesn't do something doesn't mean it can't be done. Like I said I have used SkyFire on EDGE with devices that have had 32MB RAM and one 64MB RAM - thus they're not even the newer HTC Fuze and Xperia devices - without a problem. Also used Flash Lite on all 3.
    03-28-09 12:02 PM
    My post never inferred any technology other than FULLY FUNCTIONING FLASH that we experience on Desktops on a Blackberry. I never said skyfire won't run. I never said Flash Lite won't run. Look at the iPhone. My post was pointing out that Blackebrries are years away from a fully functioning Flash experience. I predict Adobe and RIM will marry their technologies in a totally different type of broswer platform in the next few years. Maybe not. Who effing knows. Maybe Silverlight will over take the world.
    03-28-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD