Okay, well I just bought a 8900 but something is wrong. Everything is fine but my x key is sometimes nonresponsive. It would take sometimes 2 or 3 clicks for it to register. (Luckily its not a key I use often). What do I do to get it replaced? I bought the phone from a friend. Its currently unlocked and being used on ATT. I haven't done any mods to it so the red sticker is still on the back. Anyone think they got give me some step by step directions on what to do? Could it be my firmware?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 10:08 PM
    I actually posted a thread with a similar problem with the G key. It's non responsive when I press straight down on the key, instead I'd have to press down at an angle for it to work. Most likely it's not the firmware as I have upgraded the OS on my phone twice.

A CrackBerry member suggested it could just be that the keyboard is not aligned correctly (in that case, if you're super confident, you can check out the sticky on disassembling your blackberry 8900. I've been meaning to but haven't found the time) or you need a replacement phone. I'm not sure if that's possible in your case with it being unlocked and all...
    04-06-09 11:48 PM
    update your device
    04-06-09 11:53 PM
    I actually posted a thread with a similar problem with the G key. It's non responsive when I press straight down on the key, instead I'd have to press down at an angle for it to work. Most likely it's not the firmware as I have upgraded the OS on my phone twice.

A CrackBerry member suggested it could just be that the keyboard is not aligned correctly (in that case, if you're super confident, you can check out the sticky on disassembling your blackberry 8900. I've been meaning to but haven't found the time) or you need a replacement phone. I'm not sure if that's possible in your case with it being unlocked and all...
    LOL.
    you hit the nail on the head. I have to hit the key at a certain angle to register the key stroke. Like i said, im at least lucky it was on like the "a" key.
    04-07-09 12:29 AM

oh yeah, and what did you decide to do? did you deal with it or get a replacement?
    04-07-09 01:06 AM
    I'm also in the same predicament as you- did not get phone from mobile provider although my phone is not unlocked. Well since this keyboard business happened to you too, maybe it's just an incorrectly aligned keyboad, given that it's fairly simple to fix once it's disassembled. So far I've dealt with it but I'm definitely going to do the disassembling bit (I don't think my phone is eligble for warrenty) and I'll let you know what happens.

PS: I also have a wobbly keyboard. Bah humbug.

04-07-09 01:49 AM
    I'm also in the same predicament as you- did not get phone from mobile provider although my phone is not unlocked. Well since this keyboard business happened to you too, maybe it's just an incorrectly aligned keyboad, given that it's fairly simple to fix once it's disassembled. So far I've dealt with it but I'm definitely going to do the disassembling bit (I don't think my phone is eligble for warrenty) and I'll let you know what happens.

PS: I also have a wobbly keyboard. Bah humbug.

great! tell me if the disassembling works. For a 300+ phone, i expect it to work. Or at least the keyboard work.
    04-07-09 07:04 AM
    great! tell me if the disassembling works. For a 300+ phone, i expect it to work. Or at least the keyboard work.
    Alas, disassembling the 8900 didn't do much, didn't do anything at all actually. Keyboard didn't appear misaligned nor was there anything wrong with the keypad (as far as the naked eye can see anyways). Well, looks like we have to just live with it. Meh.
    04-09-09 01:58 PM
    I had the same issue with my I key. Luckily I was within 14 day trial and just swapped it. No issues with new BB (knock on wood).

04-09-09 07:03 PM
    Alas, disassembling the 8900 didn't do much, didn't do anything at all actually. Keyboard didn't appear misaligned nor was there anything wrong with the keypad (as far as the naked eye can see anyways). Well, looks like we have to just live with it. Meh.
    damn. ahhh, frustrating. Guess i'll just have to pay attention when i hit the x key
    04-09-09 09:03 PM
    Did you resolve your x key problem?
    I have the exact same problem with my 8/x key where it is often nonresponsive when I press with my left thumb but it's fine if I hit that key with my right thumb. I'm still within the 14 day warranty period so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a replacement.
    05-15-09 10:31 AM
    One of my friends had a problem with their 0 key. I typed on their keypad and the 0 key sometimes just didn't register. I told them to get it replaced under the manufacturer's warranty.
    05-15-09 11:45 AM
    Yeah, definitely get a replacement if you're within the 14 days
    05-15-09 12:09 PM
    OK. Thanks for the input.
    05-16-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD