01-21-09 09:09 PM
73 123
tools
    I am with AT&T and have been looking forward to getting the 8900. Now that AT&T has downgraded EDGE there have been the many rumors we have heard about ATT skipping the 8900 and going with the 8920 3G version. I believe the leaked roadmaps have shown an 8920 release for the second half of 2009. If ATT skips the 8900 will that speed up the schedule for the release of the 8920?
    01-09-09 05:26 AM
    Why would that speed up the release of the 8920? Remember what happened to the bold because it was 3g device......so don't get your hopes up.
    01-09-09 06:02 AM
    it would most likely be renamed something in the 9xxx, because the 8xxx are all EDGE. Maybe the 9300 series
    01-09-09 06:05 AM
    read somewhere that Sprint is getting the magnum...
    01-09-09 06:59 AM
    Don't believe everything you read.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 07:11 AM
    Don't believe everything you read.

Oh definitely not, and besides its still running around the rumor mill...
    01-09-09 07:27 AM
    I am with AT&T and have been looking forward to getting the 8900. Now that AT&T has downgraded EDGE there have been the many rumors we have heard about ATT skipping the 8900 and going with the 8920 3G version. I believe the leaked roadmaps have shown an 8920 release for the second half of 2009. If ATT skips the 8900 will that speed up the schedule for the release of the 8920?
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything coming out too soon. If anything, it might move from an end 2H09 to middle of 2H09.

Regardless, it is an interesting thought. I am sure when we get a few months into '09 insiders and blogs will start posting about it and speculating release dates. I think there is still too much up in the air to really get a tight time frame right now, though.
    01-09-09 09:52 AM
    For one the Magnum is the 9220 not 8920. Anything the is 8XXX level is not 3G (meaning real GSM 3G, EV-DO doesn't count because it is CDMA). 9XXX devices are 3G devices and the 9220 number along with Magnum are what the 3G Curve 8900 are being called internally (or so the rumors all say). Sprint is rumored to be getting the Niagra which is a revise Bold on CDMA. Not really sure why RIM would speed up the 9220 since att already has a 3G berry and (I think) the rumors mention the 9220 should include T-Mobile 3G frequencies. They likely want to get the stock of 8900's out there and sort out the bugs on the 9220. Just my $0.02.
    01-09-09 11:44 AM
    What I don't understand is that they just released the 8320 with WiFi, which is an EDGE only device. They have TONS of berries out there with no 3G and plenty of old iPhone's. Are they really going to abandon the EDGE/2G network that quickly and leave all of those customers upset?

I don't see it happening. Now maybe they won't be releasing the 8900 until a 3G version comes out, but I don't see 2G going away any time soon.
    01-09-09 12:25 PM
    I have been on crackberry for over a year now, but this is my first official post. I cannot WAIT for ATT to come out with its next none-bold 3g Blackberry (hopefully the Magnum). I have an 8320 Curve w Tmo (contract is up) and Want to go somewhere where coverage is better. Sure I can get a Jav next month, but it wont have 3G.
    I bought a Storm and had Verizon for about 2 weeks, but due to my texting demands I had to get rid of it. Im really hoping and looking forward to the next gen Curve on ATT.
    01-09-09 01:25 PM
    What I don't understand is that they just released the 8320 with WiFi, which is an EDGE only device. They have TONS of berries out there with no 3G and plenty of old iPhone's. Are they really going to abandon the EDGE/2G network that quickly and leave all of those customers upset?

I don't see it happening. Now maybe they won't be releasing the 8900 until a 3G version comes out, but I don't see 2G going away any time soon.
    If the downgrade rumors are true, it's not going to happen overnight. We're looking at a fairly decent amount of time before the 2G network is completely "downgraded." Although, from what I have read, it's not really a downgrade, it's just a transfer to a different frequency. In fact, it's the same frequency I use everyday on T-Mo without any major problems. I still say it's nothing to be too worried about, regardless of whether not it's true.
    01-09-09 01:54 PM
    The frequency transfer is a downgrade in this case because the coverage is not as vast with the frequency band being switched to as compared to the frequency band it was on before.
    01-09-09 02:12 PM
    For one the Magnum is the 9220 not 8920. Anything the is 8XXX level is not 3G
    The 8707 being the exception.

01-09-09 06:40 PM
    Donnt believe the 8920 news
    01-09-09 08:50 PM
    if you check the BGR Post regarding the ATT 8900 today, BB214 mentioned that the 3G 9220 is already being delayed to the latter half of 09 possibly even next year.

page 3, post ~40 something
    01-09-09 09:26 PM
    My understanding is its most likely that whatever is next will leap frog over 3G onto the NEXT (4G?) System.

3G will be regarded as old by the phone design nerds now. From browsing this forum its country-wide and city-wide availability is 'patchy' to say the least..It's hardly a 'standard'

The 8900 has wifi and works faster on EDGE than the old Curve..So I feel I can wait it out for a year or so..

If you think about it, what we will all be using next is probably already in operation in Korea or Japan right now..

I would rather the networks give us something that works all over and not just in some parts of big cities...

My 2 cents

01-10-09 04:26 AM
    The problem is can u wait in the second half of 2009, or maybe next year?
    01-10-09 04:41 AM
    I have no clue as to why people think it's going to be the 8920. It is not. It's designation will be of the 9xxx series.
    01-10-09 06:10 AM
    My understanding is its most likely that whatever is next will leap frog over 3G onto the NEXT (4G?) System.

3G will be regarded as old by the phone design nerds now. From browsing this forum its country-wide and city-wide availability is 'patchy' to say the least..It's hardly a 'standard'

The 8900 has wifi and works faster on EDGE than the old Curve..So I feel I can wait it out for a year or so..

If you think about it, what we will all be using next is probably already in operation in Korea or Japan right now..

I would rather the networks give us something that works all over and not just in some parts of big cities...

My 2 cents

agree'd

i will be able to wait it out for a year
    01-10-09 10:44 PM
    I have no clue as to why people think it's going to be the 8920. It is not. It's designation will be of the 9xxx series.
    Just like it says in CX's info. 9xxx. ;^).

01-11-09 12:55 AM
    Yeah, it looks like RIM made it up...because that's what the roadmap says.

3G Curve, 9220 "Magnum"...2H/CY09
    01-12-09 06:30 PM
    Yeah, it looks like RIM made it up...because that's what the roadmap says.

3G Curve, 9220 "Magnum"...2H/CY09
    You havent been here long enough to know what he's talking about. So I'll fill you in. Stop made a new thread back in june or july about a new device coming. All he knew was that is was called the 9220, it was a 3G version of the Javelin and had touch. other than that and his word he had no proof. He was killed, flamed, made fun of, etc by most ppl on this forum, and basically called a liar. But Kevin posted the info on the front page. Then a month later, other blogs and kevin came across proof that Stop-N-Go was right all along. Maybe hold off on your comments if you don't know what's going on. Also, that "roadmap" is not official.
    01-12-09 06:34 PM
    And then there were those of us who said, thanks for the info stopNgo! And we still say it!

01-12-09 07:24 PM
    You havent been here long enough to know what he's talking about. So I'll fill you in. Stop made a new thread back in june or july about a new device coming. All he knew was that is was called the 9220, it was a 3G version of the Javelin and had touch. other than that and his word he had no proof. He was killed, flamed, made fun of, etc by most ppl on this forum, and basically called a liar. But Kevin posted the info on the front page. Then a month later, other blogs and kevin came across proof that Stop-N-Go was right all along. Maybe hold off on your comments if you don't know what's going on. Also, that "roadmap" is not official.
    I remember that thread so well. Poor Stop. I had a feeling he was correct, and since I do not flame other members anyway, I told him I could not wait to see this new device and kept it pushing. At any rate, I am glad it turned out he was not leading me astray, and perhaps, one day, he will start a thread stating "Get ready everyone: 10,000."
    01-12-09 07:42 PM
    What? There aint no such thing as the 9220. Its a lie, someone made up to get attention. lmao. Oh well, I tried to tell ya'll. Now you see.
    Oh Stop, remember those bygone days when there was a flame fest about this device. What is going to be your next big reveal? Hmmm.
    01-12-09 07:45 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD