i work in a hospital that offers wi-fi. I am able to scan for the network and find it on my phone. but i'm not actually "on" the hopitals wi-fi. when i go to manage connections it says i'm on the hospitals wi-fi but there isn't a check mark stating that i'm on it. pleez help

AMG
    04-15-09 10:24 AM
    I don't know if this will help, but try this wifi guide
    04-15-09 10:25 AM
    no, not much help. but thanx
    04-15-09 10:34 AM
    no, not much help. but thanx
    Not much help? I highly doubt that guide was not helpful to you, it is very comprehensive. What makes you think you are not connected to the Hospital's WiFi? Do you see the network name on the home screen of your phone (if so you are connected)? Do you see the WiFi symbol on the home screen? What do you mean by "isn't a check mark stating that i'm on it."?
    04-15-09 10:52 AM
    Yea I'm also very confused as to why that didn't help. What other problems are you encountering?
    04-15-09 11:06 AM
    Probably means that even though they followed all the steps in that thread, the wifi icon remains grayed out and if you look in "manage connections" there is a dash, not a check mark. So it says its connected but it isn't really. I'm having the same problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 11:09 AM
    on the home screen is the t-mobile emble and it will say the hospitals wireless name. the wi-fi logo appears on the phone but it very dim, as if the wi-fi was on but not connecting to the hospitals network. it's confusing but i'm on the hospitals network but not able to take advantage on the connection. and the hospitals connection is unsecure
    04-15-09 11:14 AM
    hi there! i had a very similar problem with the wifi on my 8900 finding a wifi connection but nto actually connecting to it! I would heavily recommend updating your curves OS to the new .206 available from Orange UK...it miraculously fixed my bogus wifi issues and i have also seen quite a noticeable imrpvement in my battery life as well!......links to the .206 OS download and how to install guide are available in the 8900 forum as a sticky near the top
    04-15-09 11:14 AM
    Probably means that even though they followed all the steps in that thread, the wifi icon remains grayed out and if you look in "manage connections" there is a dash, not a check mark. So it says its connected but it isn't really. I'm having the same problem.

I'm not sure if you realize this or not but having a dash instead of a green check mark does not mean that WiFi is not working. The green check mark means that UMA is also working through WiFi but you can have WiFi working with just the white dash. In your case, the problem is the gray WiFi Icon. That indicates there is a connection issue and you probably need to check your settings. Check the WiFi Guide.
    04-15-09 11:15 AM
    hi there! i had a very similar problem with the wifi on my 8900 finding a wifi connection but nto actually connecting to it! I would heavily recommend updating your curves OS to the new .206 available from Orange UK...it miraculously fixed my bogus wifi issues and i have also seen quite a noticeable imrpvement in my battery life as well!......links to the .206 OS download and how to install guide are available in the 8900 forum as a sticky near the top
    That's a good point I forgot to mention that. They could try this and like you said it should work. If the guide really doesn't fix the problem try an os upgrade
    04-15-09 11:20 AM
    well yeh, i had the whole grayed out wifi symbol issue and had tried loads of fixes from forums etc but nothing worked...updated my os to .206 and bam, like a dream!!
    04-15-09 11:34 AM
    I did find some 3rd party apps that pull information in from the web, like twitterberry wouldn't connect with .206 and .199, but Wifi browsing/downloading and UMA calls did work.

04-15-09 12:08 PM
    ok. so hopefully if i upgrade everything will be gravy. but whats this orange uk mean when i go to the download site?
    04-15-09 12:08 PM
    Orange is a UK carrier they are the ones that put out the "official" release
    Last edited by addict83; 04-15-09 at 12:15 PM.
    04-15-09 12:12 PM
    yeh man, Orange is a carrier over here in the UK and its an official release, not a beta so its all good!! even if u didnt get on with it or it didnt help you can use the new OS downgrading 101 that went up on crackberry just recently!
    04-15-09 12:25 PM
    I had this same problem with my schools wireless. No, the guide does not help, sorry.

The phone shows it as connected but the icon is gray and there is a dash on the connections screen. Yeah it might be connected, but browsing the web does not work and any other wifi services don't work. Its pretty much useless to stay connected.

If you go into wifi options, then diagnostics, that can give you a hint to what's going wrong, but I still haven't figured out why things don't work.

I think it may be an issue with the routers used, because I get full connectivity on my schools wifi in my dorm room, but this pseudo connectivity on other parts of campus like in the classroom. Keep in mind though, these are the same network, just different locations on the campus.

Good luck with the issue, I spent a long time searching forums and google and most times it ended up where nobody knew how to fix it.

04-15-09 02:13 PM
    I'm not sure if you realize this or not but having a dash instead of a green check mark does not mean that WiFi is not working. The green check mark means that UMA is also working through WiFi but you can have WiFi working with just the white dash. In your case, the problem is the gray WiFi Icon. That indicates there is a connection issue and you probably need to check your settings. Check the WiFi Guide.

Thanks for the response... I don't have UMA as I am on AT&T and I do not get WiFi speeds or a solid WiFi connection unless I have the check mark. (I know this because I use Audible as a test - it is set to download via WiFi. If I don't have the checkmark, just the dash, the download goes extremely slow and then fails. If I get the checkmark, the download works quickly and perfectly.)

I am by no means knowledgeable on WiFi but I have gone through the WiFi Guide and tried everything it suggests that I am able to (ie I can't reboot the router in my business setting as we aren't allowed to touch it ) and I still get a stubbornly gray WiFi icon... Every once in a while I get a solid connection and can really tell the difference in speed, etc. but it seems totally random so I can't duplicate the situation on a regular basis.
    04-15-09 02:26 PM
    Sometimes what it is, is that the Blackberry isn't getting enough signal strength. Remember the Blackberry's that are equipped with wifi are made to pick up the best signal strength. So if the wifi isn't the best signal strength, it's not really going to connect which will mean if you are trying to make a phone call over the wifi, it'll drop the call. It's happened to me countless times on my 8320 before the 4.5 os update released for T-Mobile. Like they are saying, a software update should fix the problem because it's not a hardware problem, it's a software thing.
    04-15-09 02:27 PM
    Sometimes what it is, is that the Blackberry isn't getting enough signal strength. Remember the Blackberry's that are equipped with wifi are made to pick up the best signal strength. So if the wifi isn't the best signal strength, it's not really going to connect which will mean if you are trying to make a phone call over the wifi, it'll drop the call. It's happened to me countless times on my 8320 before the 4.5 os update released for T-Mobile. Like they are saying, a software update should fix the problem because it's not a hardware problem, it's a software thing.
    I'm not sure if that's the case. There are times where I have 4 bars of wifi but it still is useless and won't go uma or et me browse the web.

If you look under diagnostics, it usually says it can't locate the DNS, but if you do a DNS lookup it is surely there.

Whatever it is prevents you from connecting to the blackberry infrastructure, which prevents wifi browsing and services.

04-15-09 02:38 PM
    This may or not help, but a lot of people have issues connecting to wifi @ my school and it turns out that they're just not logging into our school's wireless network...go to "Set Up Wi-Fi", then the last button Hotspot Login or something to that affect, and that takes you to the network login page for whatever network you're trying to access.
    04-15-09 02:39 PM
    There is a lot of confusion in this thread, let me try to get everyone on the same page.

WiFi and UMA are related but different things. You can have WiFi without UMA but you can not have UMA without WiFi. What UMA does is uses your WiFi connection to create a secure tunnel through the Internet from your device to the cellular carrier's servers. Once connected UMA allows you to make phone calls, get your emails, use BBM, etc all through the WiFi connection. Before UMA can connect there are are some requirements including: UMA Device, Carrier that supports UMA, WiFi connection that has all the correct settings and ports open and available. If you meet all these conditions then you will get the green check mark in Manage Connections next to the WiFi connection.

You can be connected to WiFi without being connected to UMA. If you do this, then you can only browse the Internet over WiFi and use 3rd party applications that take advantage of WiFi but you will be limited and can't do the other things that UMA offers.

For more information check out this thread.

For you guys that have a Gray WiFi Icon there is a problem with your WiFi connection. You need to resolve the problem(s) with this before worrying about UMA. When the WiFi Icon is white then you can browse the Internet using WiFi and your connection is good there. Only after you can do this should you be trying to get UMA working.

Also the WiFi Guide thread is very comprehensive. When you read through it you should not just read through the first few posts and call it a day. Instead you should continue to read through the entire thread to find a solution to your problem. There are many many questions and many many solutions in that thread. I know the thread is long but there is a good reason for that. I have read through it more than once when I was looking for answers and I can assure you that the answers are in there for the majority of questions you can have.

sifka4 - I suspect in your case there are some routers on your school's network that block the ports UMA needs. Remember, UMA relies on WiFi to work and it has more requirements to fulfill.
    Last edited by aristile; 04-15-09 at 03:03 PM.
    04-15-09 03:00 PM
    Odd, but I just went to my next class which is abouyt 100 ft away and on the ground floor instead of the basement and I now have uma and white wifi icon. Maybe the berry doesent connect if the signal is poor, but lies about how strong it is?

04-15-09 03:02 PM
    i work in a hospital that offers wi-fi. I am able to scan for the network and find it on my phone. but i'm not actually "on" the hopitals wi-fi. when i go to manage connections it says i'm on the hospitals wi-fi but there isn't a check mark stating that i'm on it. pleez help

AMG
    I work in a hospital also. Do you accept the facility's agreement before connecting to their router? Whenever I connect, I open a webpage and the hospital's agreement page pops up asking to follow rules, at the end of the agreement is the connect button. Once you hit 'agree' and 'connect' it should switch to Wifi and UMA.

04-15-09 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD