Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Is anyone considering the Curve over the Bold on ATT? I can't imgaine the smaller form factor being more important than being on 3G. Why pay $30 a month for data to be on Edge?

I guess I should also ask, if you prefer 8900 over Bold, why not just go with TMo? Is there service THAT bad? I had them a couple of years back and rarely was I in an area where I had no service, but ATT did.
    Last edited by gbadude; 05-17-09 at 06:38 PM.
    05-17-09 06:27 PM
    I'm thinking about getting it to replace my 8300 series Curve. Smaller form factor isn't the only difference between it and the Bold though. It also has a better camera, and more app memory. I do really enjoy the smaller feel of the Curve compared to the Bold though, so for some I'm sure it's very important. The lack of 3G doesn't bother me either because I mainly browse around mobile sites of forums and the like and where I live, AT&T's EDGE is pretty quick.
    05-17-09 06:30 PM
    If 3G on ATT was actually worth something I'd understand your viewpoint but honestly I don't see a difference from using EDGE on my old 8800, besides receiving alerts while on a call. The speed isn't any faster here in NYC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 06:32 PM
    3G isn't the end-all-be-all of the mobile phone world. I just got my 8900 and prefer it leaps and bounds over my Bold. And besides, 3G isn't everywhere yet, and it's nothing but a battery hog, so at this point, I prefer it like it is anyway. And like an above poster said, EGDE is fast in my area, so I don't see it as a big deal that I have a phone without 3G.

05-17-09 06:34 PM
    I'm thinking about getting it to replace my 8300 series Curve. Smaller form factor isn't the only difference between it and the Bold though. It also has a better camera, and more app memory. I do really enjoy the smaller feel of the Curve compared to the Bold though, so for some I'm sure it's very important. The lack of 3G doesn't bother me either because I mainly browse around mobile sites of forums and the like and where I live, AT&T's EDGE is pretty quick.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to just be on Tmobile then? I'm just curious cause I was thinking about getting a 8900 for my mom for her bday, but it didn't really nake sense to me for her to be on ATT when she could be on Tmo for cheaper a month.

05-17-09 06:34 PM
    I'm actually changing from Tmo to AT&T this coming Friday because Tmo sucks so bad and their customer service is horrid. I was with Suncom before I got swapped over and have had nothing but issues with them. The internet is CONSTANTLY going out as well as a few other things that Suncom offered and they didn't. I despise them at this point and after 8 years you'd think I would have been treated better but obviously not. If that wasn't enough to stay away they aren't even going to honor my current contract the way it is anymore so off I go to
    AT&T. I still get a 15% discount via the hospital though so price wise it doesn't really affect me.
    05-17-09 06:50 PM
    For some, they don't have choice on the carrier they use (company phones) and I guess for others, if they have been on at&t for years its kinda a loyalty thing. I have beem looking at both phones for some time now and would say the 8900 is the better phone. This is not a debate on what device is better but more of a reply to your OP.

05-17-09 06:53 PM
    Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to just be on Tmobile then? I'm just curious cause I was thinking about getting a 8900 for my mom for her bday, but it didn't really nake sense to me for her to be on ATT when she could be on Tmo for cheaper a month.

It probably would be cheaper but in my area, AT&T is a lot better coverage wise, and all my phones are for AT&T and I like their 3G which is expanding a lot in the areas where I live and go to. Personally, I also like AT&T's phone selections too and also the phones that will be coming to AT&T.
    05-17-09 06:53 PM
    3G is not important to me (not now atleast) and form factor. The Bold is a brick.
    05-17-09 07:07 PM
    Without getting into the typical carrier wars BS. I am waiting
    for the 8900 because I think it is a better device. I am staying
    with AT&T because they provide the best coverage for where I
    live, work and travel. Simple as that.
    05-17-09 07:11 PM
    edge+wifi>3G, so tmo UMA is the king...
    05-17-09 07:29 PM
    I can say for sure that for me it isn't a better device. Sorry, the processor on a Bold would be insulted if compared to the 8900's.

That said, I still want an 8900 on as a secondary phone because I use Wi-Fi a lot so 3G wouldn't even matter. And to tell you the truth I'm not really concerned about receiving data while on a call. I'm on the phone for a reason. Any messages can wait.

05-17-09 07:54 PM
    I'll upgrade my wife from her 8310. She's not that impressed with 3G either. As the carriers (well, at&t for me) upgrade their service and area coverage, I can see 3G and edge coverage getting better. Especially since not everyone feels the need to have the latest BlackBerry as soon as it is released. After reading all of the rants about the Storm, I passed on a used one three months ago.
    05-17-09 08:12 PM
    Any service providers coverage can be arguable... You will always have customers that have had good experiences and others that have had bad experiences (this includes AT&T and Verizon)... Thankfully I live in an area that has had solid 3G coverage for quite a bit now.... And could never see myself ever using EDGE again... In fact,... the times that I have traveled and had seen EDGE pop up,.. It might as well say NO INTERNET, because it's just to slow for my taste....

Besides that..... The processing power of the Bold trumps the 8900 all day.... I've seen the 8900 choke up with just 3 apps running in the background.... As where my Bold can have 5 or 6 and still run smoothly...

The resolution of the camera can also be arguable.... 3.2M sounds like a nice number.... Yet it's nowhere near the 3.2 on my Fuze or many other 3.2's by other makes... I really see no difference in camera between the 8900 and the Bold...

The only customers I really see getting an 8900 on AT&T... Are those who.... Just want a BlackBerry for E-Mail and SMS and don't really care for internet browsing... Customers that might feel the Bold is just to big.... And customers that simply want it for work purposes and don't really care about the multimedia side of it like streaming Pandora/Slacker and soon streaming video from sites like Hulu and Youtube once Skyfire comes out... And don't really see themselves switching between AIM, BBM, surfing the net,... All while listening to music in the background...

Because..... Why would anyone want to pay DSL prices for dial-up??

Besides application memory.... I see no advantage in buying an 8900... It's an inferior device when compared to the Bold in almost every other aspect...

But then again.... This is just my opinion....

05-17-09 09:42 PM
    I can say for sure that for me it isn't a better device. Sorry, the processor on a Bold would be insulted if compared to the 8900's.
    This to me is the height of hyperbole. 99.5% of users will not notice the
    speed differential between 512Mhz and 624Mhz. And most people who say they
    do are flat out lying.

Combine that with the fact that the 8900 has double the user addressable
    memory as the Bold, that makes it far and away the better performer.
    05-17-09 10:42 PM
    Ok. Here's my opinion. There are enough customers on at&t that the device will sell. I have a BOLD. Love it and all the hype about future releases are just that for now- hype. When the device has been released and I get it, I'll get impressed. Passed on a Storm and a Pearl Flip because I like the BOLD better and the prices for the used BBs were too d*mn high. However, a lot of at&t customers(and CB members) will upgrade to the 8900 for various reasons- whether we agree or not.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 05-17-09 at 10:47 PM.
    05-17-09 10:42 PM
    This to me is the height of hyperbole. 99.5% of users will not notice the
    speed differential between 512Mhz and 624Mhz. And most people who say they
    do are flat out lying.

Combine that with the fact that the 8900 has double the user addressable
    memory as the Bold, that makes it far and away the better performer.
    I did use a friends 8900 for about 3 days that I did notice the processor difference. With appications open, I could notice the differential in lag time for let's say, opening my messages folder. It's not a huge difference, but a noticeable difference for a person who primarily uses a Bold nevertheless. So the processor to me does make a difference while there are running applications. I think I counted 27 applications on his phone, and I believe the app memory was at 100 mb or so on a battery pull. After a while would get below one hundred.

That said, I still would love to have me that bad boy as a second phone.

05-18-09 05:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD