Hello all BB addicts,
    Excuse my iggnorance on the issue, but need some insight.
    Why on earth are certain models of phones,(new) only released to certain carriers? As much as the economy is feeling the pinch these days, one would assume that releasing all new models to all carriers would bring far more bang -for-the buck for everyone.
    I am with Alltel and fully expect to wait for at least a year to get into the new Curve. I love Alltel service plans and pricing, but hate their limited selections of phones compared to others.
    Thanks in advance!
    12-15-08 03:19 PM
    Its all about the hype of the product, the more hype and the more the brand is known the greater number of people that will buy it. Phone companies try and get exclusivity on phones so people will go to there network, rather than another network.
    200th post woo
    And welcome Crackberry
    12-15-08 03:26 PM
    Unless your company name is either AT&T or Verizon you will have problems getting the latest phones. Those two probably pay fairly good money to the cell phone makers to keep getting the latest and greatest, AND keep others from seeing the same model for some time.

I don't like it either, but thats part of big business.
    12-15-08 03:44 PM
    Verizon!? I think the Storm is the first time they get anything really worthwhile first, usually GSM gets all the new goodies since manufacturers cater to the most, GSM is worldwide, CDMA is in pockets.
    Also, some carriers, like AT&T subsidize the phones but lock you into contracts, they woo you with the handset so it's in their interest to strike a deal with a manufacturer and get an exclusive, especially at the introduction of a new handset.
    12-15-08 04:10 PM
    Well, it sucks! Thanks for the intel folks.
    12-15-08 04:26 PM
    If it helps any most carrier exclusives are 90 days, if I recall correctly. The iPhone and ATT being a big exception to that.
    12-15-08 05:01 PM
    Yeah basically comes down to purchasing power!

What you think the markup for cell phones are?

I paid 600 bucks fior my rogers curve 8900? Now what i like
    to know is , how much did rogers pay to get the phone into
    the store for resell.
    12-15-08 05:13 PM
    Verizon is buying out Alltel, so next year (if the buyout goes through) you won't have to worry about that as much anymore.
    12-15-08 05:42 PM
    capitalism

you buy what the majority of people would want

lock it down to maximize the acquisition of customers and profits

and your good to go

definitely not fair

but oh well
    12-15-08 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD