i'm a U.S. based T-mo customer, but i recently picked up the 8900 because i wanted a new phone before i deploy to europe (hungary). i already called customer service with T-mo, so i know i need a new T-mo account for a new in-country phone number once i'm there, but should i try to get this phone unlocked here before i go? are any advantages?

any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanx!
    06-24-09 07:57 PM
    Yikes! i thought i knew how to type! hahaha
    06-24-09 07:59 PM
    i'm a U.S. based T-mo customer, but i recently picked up the 8900 because i wanted a new phone before i deploy to europe (hungary). i already called customer service with T-mo, so i know i need a new T-mo account for a new in-country phone number once i'm there, but should i try to get this phone unlocked here before i go? are any advantages?

any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanx!
    Unlocking your device would allow you to use another carrier's sim card and network, but unless you are going to switch to another carriers when you arrive overseas, there is really no point in doing so.

But, it may be smart to go ahead and do it anyway incase you ever do need to switch carriers.
    06-24-09 08:00 PM
    Unlocking the device is needed to use the phone with any other carrier besides T-mobile.

Aside from that, you can use UMA while abroad over a WiFi connection and make calls back to the US without roaming charges if you keep your T-mobile account active.
    06-24-09 08:00 PM
    Thanx guys, i do really appreciate it
    06-24-09 08:02 PM
    hahahah i really dont think im switching carriers any time soon but one of the sites im on was giving away free unlock codes so i was like oh well why not.. couldnt hurt
    06-24-09 08:40 PM
    ya, i dont plan on changing carriers either, but i did notice (if i remember correctly) T-mo's hungarian service didnt have a unlimited texting bundle. and i've heard horror stories of "roaming charges" hahaha
    06-24-09 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD