ever since yesterday my balckberry doesn't want to read the movements made by the trackball. It will allow me to click things, but i cant scroll up, down, left, or right. I am a couple of days out of the 90 day warranty and am afraid of calling t-mobile only to find out they can't do anything. Is there any way for me to fix this?
    05-29-09 10:15 AM
    Oily thumb issue??? I've had the issue in the past, but only after eating something oily or greasy and did not wash my hands before using my 8900... it doesn't even like cookies because of the butter in the cookies.

If you work it a lot... pushing it will scrolling helps to start it back up... but you need to work it... that should fix it... and be sure to wash your hands REALLY well.
    05-29-09 10:25 AM
    Ok I think it is a hardware issue because whenever I hit the back of the phone against my hand the trackball works again for about an hour or so. This can't be good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 04:10 PM
    Ok I think it is a hardware issue because whenever I hit the back of the phone against my hand the trackball works again for about an hour or so. This can't be good.

Then I'd be calling it in and getting a new one.
    05-29-09 04:22 PM
    I am past the 90 day warranty though. I would have to pay another 480 to get one.

05-29-09 04:54 PM
    RIM has a 1 year warranty... call TMO and talk to customer service... they replaced my last phone I had issues with in the first year... I think they sent me a refurbished one, but they did replace it... unless you want a partially functioning BB.
    05-29-09 05:04 PM
    try this, take a pointed object so that you can pop the ring off the track ball. flip the phone over and the track ball should fall out. inside you will see the board it sits on, take a Q-tip and some hand sanitizer, carefully clean the back of the track ball housing and track ball itself. then clean the inside were it sits, be very gentle when doing this. then put it all back together, becareful not to bend or break the tabs on the ring when putting it back together. hope this solves the issue.
    05-29-09 05:09 PM
    try this, take a pointed object so that you can pop the ring off the track ball. flip the phone over and the track ball should fall out. inside you will see the board it sits on, take a Q-tip and some hand sanitizer, carefully clean the back of the track ball housing and track ball itself. then clean the inside were it sits, be very gentle when doing this. then put it all back together, becareful not to bend or break the tabs on the ring when putting it back together. hope this solves the issue.
    That does not work on the 8900... different trackball from the 83xx series... you can only get to it if you take the entire thing apart.
    05-29-09 05:11 PM
    RIM has a 1 year warranty... call TMO and talk to customer service... they replaced my last phone I had issues with in the first year... I think they sent me a refurbished one, but they did replace it... unless you want a partially functioning BB.
    I guess I will have to do that. Thanks for the info.

05-29-09 05:15 PM
    Try holding your Curve face down and working the trackball vigorously in all directions, keeping a little bit of pressure on it. Also try a bit of canned air to blow the schmutz out of it.
    05-29-09 05:20 PM
    That isn't the probelm. If that was the case thr trackball would feel slippery. If I want it to work I either have to do a battery pull or hit it on my hand.

05-29-09 05:23 PM
    By all means, don't try everything you possibly can to avoid exchanging your phone....especially something that's worked for so many other people...

Not sure why you think the trackball has to be slippery. Sometimes grit gets caught in the rollers and causes it to not register motion.

Thwacking it repeatedly may not be good for it, and the need to do so does seem to indicate a definite hardware issue.

Good luck either way. Trackball failure sucks!
    05-29-09 05:35 PM
    Ok, well I decided to change my trackball out with my old pearl and it seems to be working better even thought the ball is dirtier. I am going to order a new trackball tomorrow if this one works that long.

05-29-09 05:53 PM
    I had the same problem with mine last week. I just put some nail polish remover on paper towell and ran oit over the trackball works good as new now!!!
    05-29-09 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD