Hey guys, my 8900's trackball started acting funny lately. Sometimes when I click it does not register at all and I need to make a more deliberate click to register; or I press the trackball in and it double clicks.

I opened up my 8900 and attempted to clean up any dust and debris that may have found itself into the trackball area. This helped a little bit but the clicking is still inconsistent.

My question is, if I purchase a trackball replacement should this fix the problem or is the problem more with the PCB board sensor? Rolling action in all directions is fine.
    07-06-09 05:51 PM
    The Trackball is likely dirty so you can try to clean it. The issue with taking your device apart is that doing so will void your warranty. So if you are "ok" with voiding the warranty then go for it. There is a video in the sticky at the top of the forum for taking the device apart.
    07-06-09 06:10 PM
    My 8900 spent a week in Cancun with me and came back with the exact problem you describe. I suspect it was all the humidity down there, but the water damage indicators are fine. TMO has shipped me a new one. Should be here in a day or two.
    07-06-09 10:47 PM
    Hi, I don't think my blackberry has had water damage and I have opened it up but there is not dust on anything on the trackball
    07-07-09 05:35 PM
    Mine works fine but I find myself using the enter key instead of clicking the trackball more and more, esp on this website where it's hard to highlight something and click on it without moving the cursor. The OP may need a new unit imo.
    07-07-09 05:37 PM
    I had a problem with my trackball when I first got my 8900 . Not even owning it fir 2 weeks I notice my trackball wouldn't go in a certain direction, it would move but not registering. So I had my 8900 replaced with a brand new one. I think the problem might be because I had it in the holster and putting it in my pocket. It seems like the holster is abit tight . So maybe that's the problem
    07-08-09 01:30 AM
    I had the same problem with mine after only 2 weeks, that the Trackball would not go in one direction and I was so upset about it. At first I though it was due to dirty or humidity.

Anyhow I managed to fix the problem this way and it might work for you.

I found that if you go to Option - Screen/ keyboard and scroll down to Trackball sensitivity- and put it to full 100% and then use it for a few minutes and then go back and set it to your original rate. I did this and it has worked with no problems for the last 2 months.

Give it a try, hope it helps you.
    07-08-09 05:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD