I use the wifi alot I was wondering if switching it off and on wen I'm not using it saves a lot of battery?
    if not ill just leave it on

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 10:35 PM
    I have left mine on before on my Pearl and noticed that the battery drained noticably faster than when it was off.
    02-04-09 10:38 PM
    Do you have a data plan and your WiFi set to auto? If you do, it shouldn't be looking for a signal and drain your batt a lot faster. I don't notice that with mine, but I have almost always used UMA calling via WiFi so I might not notice if it drains it faster.

Last edited by exelant; 02-04-09 at 10:55 PM.
    02-04-09 10:52 PM
    yea to both question
    02-04-09 10:54 PM
    Do you have a data plan and your WiFi set to auto? If you do, it shouldn't be looking for a signal and drain your batt a lot faster. I don't notice that with mine, but I have almost always used UMA calling via WiFi so I might not notice if it drains it faster.

so you'll pay the 9.99 unlimited hotspot calling???? is that what this UMA is about....and also I did notice the UMA signal when I connect to my home network, but when I connect to school, I get nothing...my signal just says SOS (but that is cause I have no signal either way in that location, but the wifi is connected, as I can surf the internet, etc.)
    02-04-09 11:02 PM
    With UMA you can make calls and get your emails, etc using only the WiFi connection. If you do not pay for the additional $9.99 addition then any minutes you use through UMA are deducted from your monthly bucket of minutes. If you do purchased the $9.99 addition, then you will enjoy free calling over UMA instead of having those minutes deducted from your monthly bucket.
    02-04-09 11:33 PM
    I use to have it on all the time when I had my 8320. Now I turn it on only when I need it.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8900 - 4.6.1.144 BETA
    T-Mobile Pearl 8220 Flip - 4.6.0.222
    [heavycomponents3@aim.com]

Now a days the new name for "cell phone" is "Blackberry"!

--HeavyC.

02-04-09 11:57 PM
    A lot of the school networks shut down the UMA feature so you don't use all the bandwidth.

They do at my school USF in ST Pete.
    02-05-09 08:37 AM
    I leave my wi-fi on all the time and I haven't noticed a big difference in battery life either way

02-05-09 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD