I am new the the whole T-Mobile data and UMA features.

I was just wondering, if I do not purchase the extra UMA plan for $10 a month for my Curve 8900, is there a way to turn off that function on the phone? Also, if I do not have the UMA plan and I pick up a call while surfing on wifi, what will happen?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    01-28-09 11:19 AM
    Do you have to pay extra for uma? I thought it was free. What about wi-fi. I thought I was saving my minutes and now I'm not so sure.
    01-28-09 11:26 AM
    If you don't pay the monthly fee, your uma min are taken out of your bucket minutes. If you do pay it, your uma min are unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 11:27 AM
    If you don't pay the monthly fee, your uma min are taken out of your bucket minutes. If you do pay it, your uma min are unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is correct, the plan is $9.95 a month. If you don't pay for the service, the minutes are deducted from your plan minutes. If you're browsing on wifi, a call will come through as UMA and should be just fine, expecially with the 8900. It will charge your minute bank like it would if you were on EDGE.
    01-28-09 12:00 PM
    This is correct, the plan is $9.95 a month. If you don't pay for the service, the minutes are deducted from your plan minutes. If you're browsing on wifi, a call will come through as UMA and should be just fine, expecially with the 8900. It will charge your minute bank like it would if you were on EDGE.
    Oh, I understand how it works now. Thank you so much for your help!
    01-28-09 12:08 PM
    I have unlimited minutes, so would the UMA be automatically included?
    01-28-09 12:18 PM
    If you have unlimited minutes, then your bucket is basically unlimited. So your UMA calls should draw from your unlimited bucket, and be free.
    01-28-09 01:09 PM
    I don't think a $9.99 monthly plan is worth it if you have unlimited minutes though. I think the purpose of the plan is the use UMA minutes without having them deducted from your normal phone plan to save money in the long run.
    01-28-09 01:21 PM
    Yes but WIFI UMA is also better quality, just was wondering.
    01-28-09 04:15 PM
    I am on my houses wifi, and it says UMA. what does that mean? i dont really get it.. so if i get a call its from the wireless but it still takes my minutes away?
    01-28-09 04:37 PM
    I am on my houses wifi, and it says UMA. what does that mean? i dont really get it.. so if i get a call its from the wireless but it still takes my minutes away?
    It means that the phone is making your call over the Wi-Fi connection, versus the mobile network.

As I said before, if you have the 9.99/month, it won't take away from your minutes and UMA minutes will be free. However, if you don't have the 9.99/month, they will take from your bucket minutes.

To the person with unlimited minutes: You don't need the 9.99/month.

Personally, UMA is nice even without the 9.99/month. If you work in areas that have spotty coverage but you have Wi-Fi available, it makes for a nice option.
    01-28-09 04:55 PM
    That sucks! I thought I was getting some kind of deal with my home wi-fi and uma. Oh well.
    01-29-09 01:51 PM
    Dudes - put in the h tt p stuff

edge.arubanetworks.com/article/what-uma-and-should-you-care

all UMA really is, is another way to connect your phone to your carriers infrastructure. It's like having a phone with CDMA, Edge, 3G,.........and UMA. It is faster for surfing (no faster than CDMA and 3G though) and if you have poor edge reception or something it will give you coverage. It doesn't allow you to bypass your carriers infrastructure and get free "stuff" - the exception being straight browsing. I can browse on wifi without a sim card installed, however there is no "UMA" icon, cause I'm not connected to my carriers network without a sim card. It'll save you toll charges in some cases depending on your carrier. If you are travel ling and your carrier allows you to connect via UMA (Rogers for instance only works in North America from what I read), then calling someone back home will be local charges. If you're calling someone in the same location your travelling in, it'd be like you're at home calling them from there.
    01-29-09 02:34 PM
    Dudes - put in the h tt p stuff

edge.arubanetworks.com/article/what-uma-and-should-you-care

all UMA really is, is another way to connect your phone to your carriers infrastructure. It's like having a phone with CDMA, Edge, 3G,.........and UMA. It is faster for surfing (no faster than CDMA and 3G though) and if you have poor edge reception or something it will give you coverage. It doesn't allow you to bypass your carriers infrastructure and get free "stuff" - the exception being straight browsing. I can browse on wifi without a sim card installed, however there is no "UMA" icon, cause I'm not connected to my carriers network without a sim card. It'll save you toll charges in some cases depending on your carrier. If you are travel ling and your carrier allows you to connect via UMA (Rogers for instance only works in North America from what I read), then calling someone back home will be local charges. If you're calling someone in the same location your travelling in, it'd be like you're at home calling them from there.
    A few things here ... UMA and WiFi browsing are related but different. UMA is for placing phone calls over the WiFi network, it is basically an extension of the VoIP protocol. WiFi browsing is faster than EDGE, CDMA, and 3G. The WiFi connection can potentially be slower than other technologies but that is dependent upon the Internet connection that is connected to the WiFi router/Access Point. So that is a different condition.
    01-29-09 03:15 PM
    When I said faster for surfing - meant wifi/uma will be faster than using edge and possibly faster than CDMA and 3G - all depends. Edge is going to be the slowest for sure.

UMA is not just to make calls, it will carry any traffic that can come over your carriers cell network. This is why all push services/bis/bes services will work on a BB with UMA regardless if the BB's cellular radio is on or off. UMA is just another "path" to your carriers infrastructure. It uses wifi and then an internet tunnel to the carrier instead of wireless to the carriers tower and then on their private network.
    Last edited by unlocked_canuck; 01-29-09 at 04:31 PM.
    01-29-09 04:20 PM
    Ok that's fine but to be clear the surfing over WiFi is faster than CDMA and 3G and it is also separate form UMA. For example, you can be connected to WiFi an not have UMA, which is what I am doing now on my phone since my carrier does not offer UMA. But you must have WiFi first to have UMA. They are related but separate.
    01-29-09 05:20 PM
    I have a question. I have the 8900 and have tried to use the wi-fi/uma calling feature, but have had bad luck so far. I am trying to figure out if it's a connection problem or a router problem. I am using a d-link dir615 router. I still have a Linksys WRT54G that the D-link replaced.(nothing wrong with the linksys) I have satellite internet where I live. All the calls I have tried to make over wi-fi result in the other person getting very frustrated. It's almost like there is a delay from when I speak to when they hear what I said. It's like watching a newscast where you see the two people talking to each other but one person talks, then waits 5 seconds for the other to hear it then reply. It's quite annoying because this is one of the BIG reasons I bought this phone. Do you guys think it's a router problem or the fact that it's satellite internet? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    02-15-09 01:08 PM
    You are not going to be able to use any real time application with satellite Internet. This is going to include playing online action games, talking on a phone, etc. I used to have satellite Internet and there is a very noticeable delay in the signal because it has to go to the satellites and back down for all of your data. I wouldn't even try UMA with that setup if I were you.
    02-15-09 01:19 PM
    i just signed up for the 9.99 plan today which means as long as im at work,home, friends,family i get free calls because they all have wifi!!!
    02-18-09 01:10 AM
    I do not have the uma calling option on my plan and maybe I dont have something set up right, but if I have my wifi turned on either at home or at work and the UMA icon is in on up in the corner, I can't even make a call, as soon as I press send it just says "call failed" Like I said, not sure if i have something set up wrong or not, but it is really annoying, so I just leave my wifi turned off all the time.
    03-02-09 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD